Author Topic: Golf R negotiation  (Read 52996 times)

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Golf R negotiation
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:03:52 am »
I have gone through the test driving phase of my car shopping and have settled on a new Golf R.  The problem is, VW Canada doesn't have much details on price or availability.  I informed the sales person I've been dealing with at VW that I'm interested in a new Golf R.  They're telling me that they should be able to get me one if I put a deposit down right now.

I'm having a hard time putting a deposit down on a car they have very little details about.  Also I feel like they are trying to lock me into a vehicle and get the upper hand in negotiation. 

I guess my question would be, how should I go about negotiating a deal for the Golf R?

I'd love to have a extended warranty but when I inquired about the one that fits my needs (comprehensive coverage for 5 years 80,000 kms) it was much more than I expected (+$2,000).
Also I'll need winter tires and rims.

I usually use the companies build and price option on their website as the starting place of negotiation.  If they try and charge me more than what is quoted online I walk.  So would it be unreasonable for me to offer them the price their website says when the details come out in spring of 2015, plus a set of winter tires & rims?  I figure they're making minimum of $4,000 on the sale of every Golf R, minus a set of winter tires and rims $1,000 ish, they'll still be ahead by $3,000.

Is my logic wrong?  Should I be asking more?  Or should I just be grateful they can get me a Golf R?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
Re: Golf R negotiation
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 10:28:48 am »
My guess would be that with a model like a Golf R there is no negotiation room. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:33:42 am »
My guess would be that with a model like a Golf R there is no negotiation room.
That's my fear.  So are you saying that I'm basically at their mercy of what they want to charge?

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:39:59 am »
I'm having a hard time putting a deposit down on a car they have very little details about.  Also I feel like they are trying to lock me into a vehicle and get the upper hand in negotiation. 

Rule 1: Never put down a deposit you don't feel comfortable putting down.

This guy also sounds like a total bulls**t artist. There has been no word of timing on the Canadian availability of the R, except some minor suggestions it will be available mid next year.
My advice would be to wait until more info comes out before making the jump.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:44:46 am »
Is the new Golf R going to be a "regular" model, or will it be limited production like the previous version?  If it's a regular model, and production can be increased to match demand, you might have more negotiation room - but only if you wait for a while after it first comes out.  But if it's limited-run model, I think you're SOL.  Dealerships will get their allotted number of Rs, and charge whatever they want for them.  Around here, our VW dealer likes to tack on useless baubles to jack up the price of desirable cars (i.e., body kits on GTIs). 

And it may be different in your region, but I don't think VW dealers are the most inclined to negotiate...

On the plus side, if you do decide to put down a deposit, could you get it back if you decide not to purchase?  I wouldn't have thought so (seems to defeat the point of a deposit!), but I've heard others claim you could walk away from the vehicle and still keep your deposit.

I think JB's got it right though, you can't go wrong by waiting a while.  They aren't going to sell out THAT fast....and if they do, there's always another car!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:46:15 am »
Go to a few dealers and see what they say. If you're in a smaller market with only a dealer or two, I expect the R will be selling for close to MSRP for at least the first few months or so. In Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver,  negotiating a better deal should be easier.

But the Golf R isn't going to be a limited run like it was last time, so your best bet is to wait a while for the excitement to die down. But if you absolutely have to have the car right away, be prepared to pay.

And, yeah, I don't think a legit dealer would take a deposit for a car that hasn't even been officially announced yet. Definitely way too early to even think about a deposit.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 10:49:40 am »

Rule 1: Never put down a deposit you don't feel comfortable putting down.

This guy also sounds like a total bulls**t artist. There has been no word of timing on the Canadian availability of the R, except some minor suggestions it will be available mid next year.
My advice would be to wait until more info comes out before making the jump.

Here's the problem.  Everyone is saying there will be more Golf R's than last time (500 in 2012 and only 250 in 2013), but there isn't any confirmed numbers.  So the R might be easier to get or VW might keep it to a very limited number.  The sales person said that someone has already put a deposit down on one at their dealership.  As far as when it will be released, everything I've seen has said spring 2015, so I don't think they are BS'ing me there.

The deposit is completely refundable and they only require $500.  It's just completely against my nature not to get some kind of a deal on the vehicle.  Getting them to throw in a set of winter tires and rims seems like a fairly small ask, at least to me that is.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 10:52:41 am »
Go to a few dealers and see what they say. If you're in a smaller market with only a dealer or two, I expect the R will be selling for close to MSRP for at least the first few months or so. In Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver,  negotiating a better deal should be easier.

But the Golf R isn't going to be a limited run like it was last time, so your best bet is to wait a while for the excitement to die down. But if you absolutely have to have the car right away, be prepared to pay.

And, yeah, I don't think a legit dealer would take a deposit for a car that hasn't even been officially announced yet. Definitely way too early to even think about a deposit.
Well I'm based out of NB, but I'm willing to go to other provinces to make the purchase.  Just thought I'd give the dealer I've been dealing with the first kick at the can.
I too think there will be greater numbers and easier availability, but again, that's not for certain.
There definitely isn't any harm in waiting.  Ideally I'm looking at getting a new vehicle next June.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 10:53:47 am »
I think you're dreaming on getting the tires and rims thrown in. A set of floor mats, maybe. :)

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 10:58:10 am »
I think you're dreaming on getting the tires and rims thrown in. A set of floor mats, maybe. :)
Okay, so I'm dreaming.  Guess I must adjust my expectations then. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 10:58:21 am »

On the other hand, in a smaller market a Golf R might sit on the showroom floor for months. YMMV.

At least in the U.S., all Rs will initially be equipped with DSG and the manual comes later. That's something to consider as well.

And yeah, good luck getting winter tires and wheels thrown in. Even dealer cost would be over $1k I would think, depending on size. Minimum wheel size might be as high as 18".

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 11:02:56 am »
^^ 17s should fit. VW had a press car rolling on 17s for winter snow hooning in Northern Europe somewhere.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 11:13:19 am »

On the other hand, in a smaller market a Golf R might sit on the showroom floor for months. YMMV.

At least in the U.S., all Rs will initially be equipped with DSG and the manual comes later. That's something to consider as well.

And yeah, good luck getting winter tires and wheels thrown in. Even dealer cost would be over $1k I would think, depending on size. Minimum wheel size might be as high as 18".
Well we're definitely a smaller market here in NB.  Some performance cars sit for awhile but anything AWD sell quickly.  Took me 5 months until I could find a new WRX to test drive. 
And I would assume 17 inche winter tires and rims would fit a Golf R.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 12:23:05 pm »

Well we're definitely a smaller market here in NB.  Some performance cars sit for awhile but anything AWD sell quickly.  Took me 5 months until I could find a new WRX to test drive. 

Where in NB are you? The Subaru dealer in Fredericton used to never stock WRXs but lately they always seem to have a couple, which is nice.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 12:30:21 pm »

Where in NB are you? The Subaru dealer in Fredericton used to never stock WRXs but lately they always seem to have a couple, which is nice.
I'm in Fredericton too and since the new WRX has been released they've been sold before they get to the dealer.  It's that way at all the NB dealers.  Only reason I got a chance to drive one this past week is the guy who ordered it changed his mind and wanted a different model (couldn't really afford the Sport Tech model I guess).  The dealer used to have WRX's all the time but this new one is either being made in fewer batches or there's much greater demand for it. 

I'm thinking it's been a year since you've tried to drive/see a WRX in person.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 12:47:10 pm »
I was through there this weekend and they had a WRX parked in front of the building. No sold sign or anything.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 12:50:06 pm »
a specialty car like that is a tough one. i'm not sure about allocation, but if they really do have one sold, they might not even get another.

also, on special cars, to get them, the dealer sometimes has to do a favour or two... like take 5 cars that are slow movers/low profitability, hence another reason for the lack of negotiating room.

you can ask for tires, no problem. just don't be shocked and appalled if they say nope. even a special car, i wouldn't pay over what the number comes up on a build and price though. even on a rare one... some dealers will force additional fees or products on the rare ones, but make that a part of the negotiating... "i'll pay ___ with no additional fees and snow tires included. i'm willing to sign and put a deposit down now if that is accepted".

the issue is that pricing might not be set in stone yet, and with this length of time before delivery, it's hard to nail down anything.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 12:51:13 pm »
I was through there this weekend and they had a WRX parked in front of the building. No sold sign or anything.
The black one.  That's the one I test drove.  I gaurantee it is sold by now, as the sales person had a list of people who wanted to get one.  I just happened to be second on the list and as said above only reason I got to drive it was because the guy who order it changed his mind and wants a different trim level.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 12:52:19 pm »
I'm trying to understand something.  Other than the look (only the EU version has been shown thus far as I understand it) and basic powertrain outlines, we don't know anything about the Golf R....and yet you want to but it sight and price unseen? 

Even if it was a car I'd REALLY want, I would wait before putting down that deposit until they could guarantee a price, the cost of the extended warranty and other things.   

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 12:53:46 pm »
a specialty car like that is a tough one. i'm not sure about allocation, but if they really do have one sold, they might not even get another.

also, on special cars, to get them, the dealer sometimes has to do a favour or two... like take 5 cars that are slow movers/low profitability, hence another reason for the lack of negotiating room.

you can ask for tires, no problem. just don't be shocked and appalled if they say nope. even a special car, i wouldn't pay over what the number comes up on a build and price though. even on a rare one... some dealers will force additional fees or products on the rare ones, but make that a part of the negotiating... "i'll pay ___ with no additional fees and snow tires included. i'm willing to sign and put a deposit down now if that is accepted".

the issue is that pricing might not be set in stone yet, and with this length of time before delivery, it's hard to nail down anything.
That's the problem, I can't tell them I'll pay $___ as no one has a price yet.  I can only say I'll pay the MSRP, when that is determined for our market.