Author Topic: Golf R negotiation  (Read 52984 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Golf R negotiation
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2015, 09:13:46 am »
That blue on the R looks great.
I think it looks great too but I think half the R's we'll get in Canada will be that blue.  To me it's a dead give away that it's an R.  I like a more sleeper friendly White, Black, or Silver.

Agreed.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:24 am »
"Half of the R's in Canada will be that blue" -- so what's that, like 12 of them then?   ;)

Looks like my brother has replaced his '11 STI hatchback with the only viable replacement on the market these days.  His is that oh-so-common blue colour though.   ;D   Seems to be a bit of serendipity too... walked into the dealership, they had one there that had just been PDI'ed, got a small discount and made the deal.  Manual transmission with Tech pkg. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2015, 09:34:25 am »
"Half of the R's in Canada will be that blue" -- so what's that, like 12 of them then?   ;)

Looks like my brother has replaced his '11 STI hatchback with the only viable replacement on the market these days.  His is that oh-so-common blue colour though.   ;D   Seems to be a bit of serendipity too... walked into the dealership, they had one there that had just been PDI'ed, got a small discount and made the deal.  Manual transmission with Tech pkg.

I heard that something like 800 Rs were preordered in Canada.

Interesting that he was just able to buy one. Especially a Tech package car since those arrived about two weeks ago. Cancelled order? If people knew about that they would be p!ssed, haha. Lots of Canadians on VWvortex are getting very impatient waiting for their cars to arrive.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2015, 09:45:49 am »

Interesting that he was just able to buy one. Especially a Tech package car since those arrived about two weeks ago. Cancelled order? If people knew about that they would be p!ssed, haha. Lots of Canadians on VWvortex are getting very impatient waiting for their cars to arrive.

Yes, it was a cancelled order... and dumb-ass luck of walking in at the right time.  That was the one Golf R that dealership had been allotted, and even decently sized dealerships like Hamilton VW are apparently only getting 2 for the year.  They're pretty scarce, that's for sure.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2015, 09:59:19 am »

Yes, it was a cancelled order... and dumb-ass luck of walking in at the right time.  That was the one Golf R that dealership had been allotted, and even decently sized dealerships like Hamilton VW are apparently only getting 2 for the year.  They're pretty scarce, that's for sure.

Weird because the Fredericton dealer has already delivered three Rs.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #205 on: August 31, 2015, 10:12:21 am »
^^^ Could that be a function of the size of the particular dealership's territory?  Hamilton probably has far more dealerships close than Fredericton does.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:13:55 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #206 on: August 31, 2015, 07:33:31 pm »

Wow. I wish I could do that. It's exactly what I ordered, but I'm expecting it to arrive in October. Also, I expect the dealership to try to charge me all kinds of fees and not wanting to budge on price. I won't pay over MSRP, so I will have to walk and not own a R. (My expectations are based on a quote I got for a GTI.)  :banghead: I suppose, there is some hope.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #207 on: August 31, 2015, 07:42:49 pm »
Received information that there are many Golf R's sitting at port as Transport Canada has stopped them from being delivered to the dealers.  A few slipped through but there won't be any deliveries in the shorter term.  I am hearing mixed information except that it could be a seatbelt issue and / or a software issue.
Yes I've read about this also.  I heard they should be released soon.  I'm so glad I didn't opt for the tech package, the wait and the delay in Halifax would be killer.

The dealership here in Fredericton probably has two sitting at port right now.  I'm pretty sure Canada had over 800 R's presold, and only chance of walking into a dealer to buy one off the lot right now would be pure dumb luck.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #208 on: August 31, 2015, 07:48:56 pm »

Wow. I wish I could do that. It's exactly what I ordered, but I'm expecting it to arrive in October. Also, I expect the dealership to try to charge me all kinds of fees and not wanting to budge on price. I won't pay over MSRP, so I will have to walk and not own a R. (My expectations are based on a quote I got for a GTI.)  :banghead: I suppose, there is some hope.

Why in the sweet name of Jesus have you not nailed down the total price of everything yet?  Heck I nailed down the price back in February and only had to haggle over accessories and what not a week or two before my R arrived, but I was caught off guard with mine arriving a month or two earlier than I had expected.

Go to your dealer and hash out the details now and save yourself a lot of stress down the line.