Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E
« on: November 03, 2014, 06:28:54 am »

S60 T6 Drive E gains supercharger and turbo, loses a third of its displacement and two cylinders.
Read More...

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 08:08:02 am »
Probably best for any buyers to wait until the next model year. Aren't they replacing the infotainment system with the new Sensus setup? And by that time, there will be an AWD version.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:58:39 am »
Volvo must have a bin full of old badges to use up.  Can't think of any other reason there is a 'T6' glued on its rump

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2015 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:13:06 am »
Volvo must have a bin full of old badges to use up.  Can't think of any other reason there is a 'T6' glued on its rump
So that when the rest of us look at it we wouldn't know it's a 4 banger.  Otherwise it would have to be labelled a ST4 or TS4.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:25:49 am »
Probably best for any buyers to wait until the next model year. Aren't they replacing the infotainment system with the new Sensus setup? And by that time, there will be an AWD version.

I wonder if Volvo is finding it hard to sell the S/V60 right now? While I'm sure the T6 (the I6 version) is great it can drink a little heavy. The new T6 lacks AWD which I think helped Volvo sell cars. Also with the next model around the corner which should be a nice leap forward it might be worth just waiting. Touch decision.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:14:52 pm »

I wonder if Volvo is finding it hard to sell the S/V60 right now? While I'm sure the T6 (the I6 version) is great it can drink a little heavy. The new T6 lacks AWD which I think helped Volvo sell cars. Also with the next model around the corner which should be a nice leap forward it might be worth just waiting. Touch decision.

I think the smart play would be to take advantage of Volvo's current, end-of-model-cycle pricing, lease and then dump it after 36-months - that's what my friend did back in August, picking up a V60 T6 AWD.

In his case he doesn't put a ton of miles on his cars, so the MPG won't be too much of an issue, and by the time he's ready to turn it in, the next-gen x60 should be out with AWD, etc.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:50:41 pm »
thanks to some revolutionary technology utilizing both a turbocharger and a supercharger.
It's hardly revolutionary as far as engineering is concerned, but is revolutionary for Volvo, I guess.

AFAIK, it's also the 'most powerful' production version of a twin-charged engine, which is kinda neat.  I don't know how much I care about aural pleasure in an S60...I mean, yeah, in a 335i it matters more, but I dunno...this is a luxo-family sedan.  With that being said, AWD is kind of hugely important in this segment...so much so that I think it was very premature to sell the 'cheaper' version first (as opposed to having available the top-o-the-line S60 T6 AWD (or T8 if they offer that electrified engine in the S60)).

It's funny - of this class of cars, of all the competitors, I find fault with all and can't decide which would be my choice.  That is, if I had $50-60k to spend on a family sedan, what would  choose?  There's lots to love from each: the 8-speed in the TLX with PAWS; the Q50's steering (yes, it's sh!t, but in theory it's desirable); the A4's Quattro; the 3-series' infinite body styles(?); the IS's reliability and resale; the new C-class's styling; etc.

I'm not sure.  I'm getting rather tired of these manufacturers having massive omissions.  To the contrary of my above list of things to love, I could do the same of things I hate: the 9-speed in the TLX (i.e. no AWD with 4-banger, no V6 power with the better transmission); the Q50's steering (;)); the A4's dated platform, FGC experience, and lack of a diesel though offered elsewhere in the lineup; the 3-series' ubiquitous nature and FGC experience; the IS's cramped interior; C-class's spartan styling; etc.

With all that being said, the S60 is yet another Volkswagen Jetta TDI:  Great engine, not much else about the car that compels me to want it.  I hate that dashboard.  I hate that it doesn't (yet?) have AWD.  I hear the handling is too sedate.  The infotainment system is convoluted/dated.  Etc.

I think Volvo's marketing department hasn't quite done its job.  These new engines should be sufficient to sell the car, but torque-steer in a >$50,000 luxury sedan?!  Tsk, tsk, tsk.

I'm also a bit surprised that with a 2.0L twin-charged engine, they couldn't reproduce the extra 30lb-ft of torque...I mean, MB is doing it with a single blower.  With the supercharger taking over the bottom end, the top-end could have been dealt with using a much larger turbocharger...isn't that the point of twin-charging?

Come on, Volvo...mount the engine properly: transversely; get rid of the hanging needle on the dashboard; get the AWD on the cars NOW without further delay; and put in a proper user-interface (i.e. no gluing of iPads).

At such a time as at least two of the above are done, this car could be beyond 'competitive' and I'd think a real winner (if marketing does its job properly).  Look at the original Infiniti G35 - a newcomer to the segment, it absolutely stole market share quickly as being a better product, for less, than the 3-series/A4/C-class.  With a new chassis, totally unique powertrain, and Volvo's legendary safety record, the S60 could/should be flying out of dealer lots.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 02:28:16 pm »
Amused by Volvo wanting to swim in the premium market but failing to cater to the premium buyer. I'm sure Volvo excels in safety but misses on issues such as AWD and infotainment systems.
Volvo should team up with the likes of Apple,Microsoft,Android, Garmen & TomTom to mention a few off the shelf integrators in the infotainment area. Third party choices suppliers such as Haldex or Magna for pre developed AWD systems are also possible in order for Volvo to fulfill current premium market demands. Many "lessor" brands are quicker to market meeting consumer interests.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:30:33 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 03:16:50 pm »
I was surprised to see this without AWD, but then I went to the Volvo website and realized they are still keeping the T6 AWD in their line up and the price difference is small  - with the T6 AWD you get a 6 cyl and 6-speed transmission (the old-tested powertrain...)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 03:27:50 pm »
I was surprised to see this without AWD, but then I went to the Volvo website and realized they are still keeping the T6 AWD in their line up and the price difference is small  - with the T6 AWD you get a 6 cyl and 6-speed transmission (the old-tested powertrain...)
...and thirsty as sh!t, and resale will be lower when the Drive-E + AWD S60 eventually comes out.

These 'interim' steps aren't good for brand image.  I dislike that Infiniti is continuing to produce the G37 while still selling the Q50.  ...and the Impala vs RentalImpala...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »
Sounds like a great technology this twin charging business...but how is the reliability in the long run going to be affected??  :-\
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 03:32:15 pm »
Amused by Volvo wanting to swim in the premium market but failing to cater to the premium buyer. I'm sure Volvo excels in safety but misses on issues such as AWD and infotainment systems.
Volvo should team up with the likes of Apple,Microsoft,Android, Garmen & TomTom to mention a few off the shelf integrators in the infotainment area. Third party choices suppliers such as Haldex or Magna for pre developed AWD systems are also possible in order for Volvo to fulfill current premium market demands. Many "lessor" brands are quicker to market meeting consumer interests.

I'm reasonably sure Volvos do use Haldex AWD systems.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 03:39:06 pm »

I'm reasonably sure Volvos do use Haldex AWD systems.

Yes - my 2011 S60 was

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 03:42:49 pm »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 03:55:56 pm »
Sounds like a great technology this twin charging business...but how is the reliability in the long run going to be affected??  :-\
Actually, very good.  VW has been doing it for a while with the 1.4L R4...and that's VW!

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 06:18:17 pm »
It's definitely not easy in this class. I think that's why I'd lean towards something like a 3 series GT or 4 series gran coupe, just so it's at least somewhat out of left field, but still has the nice BMW dynamics. The V60 wagon is a really great looking car, but the trunk is too small and it has all the issues described here with the dated interior and powertrains.

Maybe the new A4 will be the sweet spot, with the promise of better handling / ride quality and lighter weight. Probably no wagon for us, though. Jag XE could be worth a look as well.

It's funny - of this class of cars, of all the competitors, I find fault with all and can't decide which would be my choice.  That is, if I had $50-60k to spend on a family sedan, what would  choose?  There's lots to love from each: the 8-speed in the TLX with PAWS; the Q50's steering (yes, it's sh!t, but in theory it's desirable); the A4's Quattro; the 3-series' infinite body styles(?); the IS's reliability and resale; the new C-class's styling; etc.

I'm not sure.  I'm getting rather tired of these manufacturers having massive omissions.  To the contrary of my above list of things to love, I could do the same of things I hate: the 9-speed in the TLX (i.e. no AWD with 4-banger, no V6 power with the better transmission); the Q50's steering (;)); the A4's dated platform, FGC experience, and lack of a diesel though offered elsewhere in the lineup; the 3-series' ubiquitous nature and FGC experience; the IS's cramped interior; C-class's spartan styling; etc.