Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Prius c  (Read 13036 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Prius c
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:28:43 am »

The smallest Prius is more affordable and more fun to drive than its larger Prius relatives, but interior quality is so-so.
Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Prius c
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:07:32 am »
Why buy this one over Yaris? Event Yaris' dashboard came back on its right place!

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:46:49 am »
Why buy this one over Yaris? Event Yaris' dashboard came back on its right place!

I think they explained why someone might buy this pretty well in the article.  It's obviously not for everyone.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:54:34 am »
Event Yaris' dashboard came back on its right place!

Ummm, what?

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:02:23 am »
Event Yaris' dashboard came back on its right place!

Ummm, what?

the instrument panel on the Yaris used to be in the centre not in front of the steering wheel like most other vehicle, however this was changed quite a few years ago, I think on the 2012 model.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:08:24 am »
Like the car as a basic commuter but feel that that Toyota has to change in value and give up the base car add-on mantra and start adding more value to their cars especially if they want to garner younger buyers. The days of near thousand dollar option for things that are now standard on many upcoming and worthy Korean cars continues to attract younger buyers.

I would be interested in the Prius C if they offered similar leases as south of the border. I get the dollar disparity but fail to get the "Country Pricing" equation of x 2 in many instances.

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,89697.msg1042268.html#msg1042268

The $199 Lease Deals for U.S. October 2014 http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/monthly-199-lease-deals.html

Go to page two to see Prius C deals in the U.S.A : http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/pdf/lease.deals/199.lease.deals.oct.2014.pdf
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:43:31 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:38 am »
Hybrid gasoline-electric powertrains too, have traditionally presented a less satisfying driving experience than standard powertrains, due chiefly due to the emphasis on fuel economy rather than performance and the annoying high-revving engine droning caused by single-speed continuously variable transmissions.
Agree, except for the RX/GS 400h/450h: those powertrains typically are higher performance than the powertrains they 'replace'.

This tends to confirm our view that, when it comes to hybrids, how you drive (conservative, aggressive) where you drive (city, highway) and when you drive (winter, summer) makes a bigger difference in the fuel consumption than how, when and where you drive non-hybrid vehicles.
:iagree:  We see massively worse fuel economy in the RX400h in the winter than a normal car would suffer (drops from combined 28MPG in the summer to 18MPG in the winter...somewhere around those #s, don't quote me exactly).

The driver can also see the percentage amount of time spent in EV mode for the entire trip, and even the fuel cost for the trip (I’m not sure how the car knows how much I paid per litre of gas…
I think this would just pis$ me off.  I mean, great, you know how much you're spending...but sometimes ignorance is bliss.  Seeing that I spent $4 to get to/from work would make me not want to drive at all - hmmm, maybe that's the intention?  I wouldn't want that screen.

Though not as roomy as the bigger Prius and Prius v,
:popo:

Unlike the larger Prius’ small dash-mounted transmission shift lever, the Prius c has a gated floor shifter with a prominent blue knob. It gives the cabin a sportier appearance.
...but there's no fricken arm rest!!   >:(

The car just screams 'cheap', but in loaded trim at $25k, it's anything but.  It's insane.  You can get a base Crosstrek for $25k with more goodies than the loaded Prius c.  Not even remotely competitors, but as far as your dollar will reach, this seems like a pretty poor purchase, IMO.  I mean, good on Toyota for offering a cheap, cheap economical car to run...but the yanking-parts-from-the-old-Yaris approach really hampers, as does keeping the 1.5L powertrain from the 2-generation old Prius lineup.  Imagine the c with the 1.8L (current Prius set-up)...probably not much of a fuel economy hit for the EPA, likely better real-world fuel economy, and I'd guess no more expensive than the 1.8L that is used in how many millions of Priuses around the world?

There is a market for a cheap hybrid...but I think Toyota is trying to have a bit too high hopes for the "cheap" side of things and it's just reputation-damning.  I hate to say it, but Chryfi is doing a better job with 'cheap' cars - the 500 doesn't feel nearly as cheap as this thing does despite having similar power output.  Interior material quality does matter...a lot.

Redman, I don't understand your chart...there are a lot of duplications that make no sense - the first one, for e.g. shows the Encore with the same trim as the same price/month with a $1,500 difference in intiail payment, but no other benefit.  What's the point you're trying to make here?  Is one Canada and the other the US?  Not all models you show there have anything for comparison... (Camaro, Equinox, Sonic?)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:22 am »
Like the car as a basic commuter but feel that that Toyota has to change in value and give up the base car add-on mantra and start adding more value to their cars especially if they want to garner younger buyers. The days of near thousand dollar option for things that are now standard on many upcoming and worthy Korean cars continues to attract younger buyers.

I would be interested in the Prius C if they offered similar leases as south of the border. I get the dollar disparity but fail to get the "Country Pricing" equation of x 2 in many instances.

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,89697.msg1042268.html#msg1042268

The $199 Lease Deals for U.S. October 2014 http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/monthly-199-lease-deals.html

Go to page two to see Prius C deals in the U.S.A : http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/car-news/car-leasing/199.lease.deals.oct.2014.jpg

You didn't read the fineprint.
US leases are practically ALWAYS based on a significant downpayment. $199 with $3,000 down on a 36-month lease isn't as attractive as it may seem once you do the math.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 11:46:19 am »
^^^^^
   ^^^
      ^
One of us did not read the fine print. I am referring to the Prius C specifically here as per the subject.

Edmunds article :

"Toyota's most compact hybrid can be had for only $199 a month after a scant $999 paid at lease signing. And the lease runs either 24 or 36 months with 1,000 miles a month. Additional miles are only 15 cents each."

I'd take that deal if it was offered here. Even with the exchange rate added on. I only do about 20K a year.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:49:54 am by redman »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:00:20 pm »
"Toyota's most compact hybrid can be had for only $199 a month after a scant $999 paid at lease signing. And the lease runs either 24 or 36 months with 1,000 miles a month. Additional miles are only 15 cents each."

I'd take that deal if it was offered here. Even with the exchange rate added on. I only do about 20K a year.
So why didn't you take the $99/month Smart Electric deal when it was 'round?
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,88744.msg1018536.html#msg1018536

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »

No fan of the smart. I never sold them but know many who did and I swore never to get one.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:26:26 pm by redman »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 01:14:17 pm »

No fan of the smart. I never sold them but know who many who did and I swore never to get one.
But you're more of a fan of the Prius c for twice the price?  The Prius c still uses gas ;)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 01:15:07 pm »

Scions are well equipped but are not selling well with the exception of the FR-S.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 01:31:08 pm »

Scions are well equipped but are not selling well with the exception of the FR-S.
...which is also not selling all that well ;)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 01:31:52 pm »

Scions were selling until Toyota seemingly forgot about the product line. Hyundai/Kia are quick to respond to changes even if stylistic on their youthful marketed vehicles. The FR-S in the latest addition to the Scion product line but it to is crying for a change for more power. Bring on the turbo.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:33:43 pm by redman »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 01:33:14 pm »
The FR-S is selling well considering it's more of a niche car.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:53 pm »

No fan of the smart. I never sold them but know who many who did and I swore never to get one.
But you're more of a fan of the Prius c for twice the price?  The Prius c still uses gas ;)

I do need the use of four seats. The Smart is a 2 seater.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 02:00:03 pm »

Is it? The last time I read, sales of the BR-Z and FR-S were underwhelming. Sorry, I don't have a link.  :P

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 04:43:32 pm »
From the article:
And since the hybrid system automatically reverts to EV mode any time there is minimal power demand – such as when travelling on level roads under 50 km/h, under light acceleration, while descending slight grades, and while cruising – there is really no need to engage EV mode.

This is incorrect and reveals lack of experience with hybrids.

If you are anticipating descending a long steep hill where you'll need to use the brakes, it's good to be able to deplete the hybrid battery first. That's because you can scrub off more speed on the descent by generating power to refill the battery (to be used later), and at the same time reduce wear on the mechanical brakes.

Similarly, hybrids typically run the engine on cold startups for some time just to warm up the engine, catalytic converter etc. This uses quite a bit of gas, most of which is not needed for propulsion.  So, if you can deplete the hybrid battery by using ev mode before ending the previous use, a larger portion of this otherwise wasted running and gas will be used to recharge the hybrid battery. 

For people who know how they operate, some ability to force ev mode is beneficial.

EV mode allows the Prius c to be driven for about a kilometre on electric power alone below 40 km/h

Is that all?  The Ford Escape Hybrid, with presumably older technology, can go 1-2km at 50-60kph in ev mode.  What the article could have stated is that a lot of city running is done at these low speeds, and if one checks the mileage readout, they get much better mileage in that situation than even the already-impressive official numbers.  For instance, if you can find a place to do it, driving an Escape Hybrid at 55kph on a flat road means having the gas engine off most of the time, and getting mileage in the mid-50's mpg.  The engine just starts up now and then to run at an efficient rpm to recharge the battery.

Like other hybrids, the Prius c has an automatic stop/start system that shuts off the gas engine while waiting at stop lights and restarts it when the brake pedal is released.
Interesting that the Escape Hybrid does not start up the engine when the brake pedal is released.  It stays in ev mode until it senses you want more power than ev mode can provide.  If you just need to creep in stop-and-go traffic, the engine will stay off. I'd think the Prius should operate the same way.  If you give it the usual amount of throttle off the line, the engine will start up in about half a second.

if CR testers did fewer or shorter stops, the automatic stop/start system wouldn’t turn off the engine as often and more fuel would be used.
Probably the CR tests got poor city mileage, not because of the stop/start system, but because every time a hybrid sits and cools off, it has to run the gas engine again on startup just to warm up the engine, catalytic converter etc.  That's why some hybrid owners doing many short trips separated by cooling off periods find they get lousy mileage in winter.  There's potential to get even worse mileage than equivalent non-hybrids. But the upside is that the cat converter is doing its job on the hybrid more than on the non-hybrids, so the exhaust is typically cleaner.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:54:35 pm by X-Traction »
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 08:52:58 pm »

Is it? The last time I read, sales of the BR-Z and FR-S were underwhelming. Sorry, I don't have a link.  :P

That's what selling a sports car with Prius tires will do.