Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Audi A4, 2009 to 2014  (Read 17851 times)

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Audi A4, 2009 to 2014
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2014, 12:31:54 pm »
--- no provision for installing an engine block heater

???

100% deal breaker in Edmonton.

Same thing with the 2.0T in the GTI. But VW does sell an inline coolant heater that's basically the same thing. I had one put in the GTI and it's been great. I imagine Audi sells one too.

I should probably add that at $800, installed, it's not exactly cheap. But worth it, IMO, as I hate the idea of starting the car at minus 30 without any kind of preheating. Yes, it will start, but it won't be happy. And I like to keep my engines happy. :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:38:08 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 01:18:53 pm »
I wonder.    I like FGCs and I am prepared to put up with less reliability than I would with a Japanese car.   BUT my family unit is, nowadays, low mileage. I don't thing we have done more than 20K between the two cars in any year since I retired.
Our Fits have not had ANY work done except regular servicing and 2 recalls on the 2007.  So my experience is probably atypical.

Now, I happen to like French cars...I drove one, different each year,  for a month each year from '85 to '03. In summer, no bad weather, they were either new (TT plated) or rentals.      If French cars became available in Canada in all their varieties I might easily change my allegiance from VAG  to a Citroen or a Renault.     I wonder what the 'unreliable FGC' brigade would say then. I bet that FFC would very soon be a buzzword.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I added up my "Euro car years" and kms:
98 - 05 VW Golf,  125k
04 - 11 Saab 9-3, 165k
05 - 14 Saab 9-2x, 230k
11 - 14 Audi S4, 70k

Over 20 yrs combined and 600 k km's.
The 9-3 was the only one I didn't buy brand new and needed the most repairs (~ $2k non-warranty, non-wear and tear items). Also the only one I've ever needed to get a tow for (when the turbo failed 2km (yes, 2km's not 2,000km's) before the warranty expired). Could possibly have driven it but didn;t want to turn up at dealer 5k over the warranty rather than 2k under it).

So, I think maintenance is critical on them, and I'd be wary of buying pre-owned, but choose your model (not first year, not too loaded with gizmo's), RTFM (and follow the recommendations), and reliability is great. Along with the low cost of ownership from having quality parts that don't wear out so often as a lot of more cheaply made cars.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 02:52:16 pm »
I wonder.    I like FGCs and I am prepared to put up with less reliability than I would with a Japanese car.   BUT my family unit is, nowadays, low mileage. I don't thing we have done more than 20K between the two cars in any year since I retired.
Our Fits have not had ANY work done except regular servicing and 2 recalls on the 2007.  So my experience is probably atypical.

Now, I happen to like French cars...I drove one, different each year,  for a month each year from '85 to '03. In summer, no bad weather, they were either new (TT plated) or rentals.      If French cars became available in Canada in all their varieties I might easily change my allegiance from VAG  to a Citroen or a Renault.     I wonder what the 'unreliable FGC' brigade would say then. I bet that FFC would very soon be a buzzword.

98 - 05 VW Golf,  125k
04 - 11 Saab 9-3, 165k
05 - 14 Saab 9-2x, 230k
11 - 14 Audi S4, 70k

The 9-3 was the only one I didn't buy brand new and needed the most repairs (~ $2k non-warranty, non-wear and tear items). Also the only one I've ever needed to get a tow for (when the turbo failed 2km (yes, 2km's not 2,000km's) before the warranty expired). Could possibly have driven it but didn;t want to turn up at dealer 5k over the warranty rather than 2k under it).

So, I think maintenance is critical on them, and I'd be wary of buying pre-owned, but choose your model (not first year, not too loaded with gizmo's), RTFM (and follow the recommendations), and reliability is great. Along with the low cost of ownership from having quality parts that don't wear out so often as a lot of more cheaply made cars.
But wasn't that 9-3 a GM Opel in disguise?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 03:24:24 pm »

98 - 05 VW Golf,  125k
04 - 11 Saab 9-3, 165k
05 - 14 Saab 9-2x, 230k
11 - 14 Audi S4, 70k

Not sure... I've been in contemporary Opels and there doesn't appear much similarity despite the corporate ownership. The 9-3 is very similar to the 900 whose design pre-dated GM I believe. Certainly all the major parts, design pieces, layout, instruments etc were SAAB not GM. Would still classify it as Euro GM rather than NA GM though, so fits my Euro car list.

More true of the 9-2x, which is really a Subaru with improved interior, lights, trim and some other minor pieces.

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 03:29:52 pm »

98 - 05 VW Golf,  125k
04 - 11 Saab 9-3, 165k
05 - 14 Saab 9-2x, 230k
11 - 14 Audi S4, 70k

Not sure... I've been in contemporary Opels and there doesn't appear much similarity despite the corporate ownership. The 9-3 is very similar to the 900 whose design pre-dated GM I believe. Certainly all the major parts, design pieces, layout, instruments etc were SAAB not GM. Would still classify it as Euro GM rather than NA GM though, so fits my Euro car list.

More true of the 9-2x, which is really a Subaru with improved interior, lights, trim and some other minor pieces.

To clarify, the 9-3 was a 2001 model - the hatchback, being the only one I bought used (in 2004).
The sedan which followed from 2003 onwards probably did have more GM content, but still had some pretty significant SAAB-only parts I think.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2014, 08:09:08 pm »
We have a 2005 A4 (B6) 3.0 6MT. It has been a reliable car since we bought it 18 months ago. Had to change the timing belt/water pump etc at 115k and did a major service at the same time. Put on about 30k km so far and no major issues to date. Having a good indy mechanic is what keeps maintenance and servicing reasonable. You are at a real disadvantage if you go to the dealer for everything post warranty.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:21 pm »

98 - 05 VW Golf,  125k
04 - 11 Saab 9-3, 165k
05 - 14 Saab 9-2x, 230k
11 - 14 Audi S4, 70k

To clarify, the 9-3 was a 2001 model - the hatchback, being the only one I bought used (in 2004).
The sedan which followed from 2003 onwards probably did have more GM content, but still had some pretty significant SAAB-only parts I think.
I think ( without looking it up) that a 2001 would have been mostly real  SAAB.  But AFAIK they became mostly Opel when the engines went transverse rather than backwards longitudinal.