Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Audi A4, 2009 to 2014  (Read 17858 times)

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Audi A4, 2009 to 2014
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »
My Audi has been amazingly reliable despite a few hiccups: 

-  I change light bulbs and fuses more than I change socks.

-   Alignments are needed every ~4 months.  For whatever reason the thing likes getting out of alignment.

-  The rear trunk piston has erupted three times, leaking oil everywhere.

-  The power mirrors stopped working a few weeks ago.  I don't even want to know how much that will cost.

Yeah, what year? I would be annoyed with this.. I know it isnt leaving you stranded on the road but would not call it relaible..

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 03:30:10 pm »
I've never had a car fail to start in the cold if it's unplugged, and yeah I run Amsoil synthetic so no pour point worries, but it's still much easier on the engine if you use a block heater.

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 04:29:29 pm »
Having driven my 2014 A4 6MT for more than a year, the summary of my gripes is as follows:

--- gas tank is too small, allowing for about 500 kms of driving in winter and 550 kms in summer

--- transmissions ratios are too tall and too widely spaced. Sixth gear is almost unusable below 120 km/h because of weak throttle response. It's only good for inter-city cruising

--- automatic headlight washers are a nuisance. They start each time the windshied washer is used while the headlights are on. Each squirt consumes 250 ml of fluid. A short trip at night in winter can be enough to empty the tank. My workaround: disable auto-headlights, and try to avoid using the windshield washer. When I get to a stoplight, turn off the headlights, wash the windshield, then turn the headlights back on before restarting. After lenghty discussion with my dealer, there is no way to simply disable the headlight washers... They are even on the same fuse as the windshield washer.

--- hill-holder grabs too strongly and must be fought with more throttle than otherwise necessary when starting after a stop on a hill

--- rain-sensing wipers are erratic and can't be turned into a simpler time-delay mode.

--- air conditionning is weak.

--- the 280 km/h speedometer is too tight as usable speeds cover only 75% of the dial. 240 km/ would have been enough.

--- no provision for installing an engine block heater

Apart from these design issues, my A4 has been completely reliable and is a pleasure to drive.
Given that your A4 is very similar to the Q5...in terms of how it works.
1.  Hah! the Q5 has a huge gas tank...800+ kms in the highway...but then it has more underbody room to put it
2.  The Q is automatic of course but 8th is unusable under 80-90 km/h 
3.  The headlight washer cycle can be changed with VCDS  and therefore presumably with the VAG official tool as well.  How often it fires and for how many seconds can be changed
4. N/A to me
5. I find they do exactly what is says in the manual. Moving the switch changes the sensitivity of the sensor.  It may look erratic I agree.    Now if they would only change the switch so that washing the front screen doesn't turn off the rear wiper.
6. I agree that it is not like 'proper' a/c units that D3 cars used to have that would freeze you nuts off within 30 seconds on a really hot day but it does the jobs quickly.
7. Agreed
8.IIRC my 2000 A4 1.8T didn't either and I don't think the Q5 (2.0T) does either.  But of course as I live near the COTU I'd never notice.

Interesting observations...
Granted, I don't do much city driving, but routinely go 600 - 700km on a tank in the S4 which I expect is the same capacity as the A4. How low is your fuel gauge after 500km? IS this all city driving?

I wish I had the A4 ratios in the S4! 6th = ~ 3000 rpm at 130kph and I get a "change up to 6th" indication above 65kph. With the torque available, I'd much 6th was a true overdrive, usable > 100kph say and 2000 rpm at 120kph.

(Interesting - or not - aside, 6th on the S4 is very close to 4th (top) on the TR6 (mine doesn't have the optional electronic overdrive gearbox). .... but the S4 has > 3x the bhp.

Hardly ever use the hill holder, unless on a really steep hill or someone pulled up very close behind me, but seemed to work fine when I did use it.

Headlight washers only fire every 5 or 10 uses of the windshield wipers when the lights are on. But I still find just the windshield washers drain the tank pretty quickly as it sprays so much liquid on the screen. That said, visibility remains excellent in all weather conditions and I'm still on the original wipers after 3.5 yrs / > 70k kms.

Agree with TPL, love the rain sensing wipers, seem to work perfectly to keep screen clear with a minimum number of wipes. I do adjust sensitivity in very fine spray sometimes.

A/C seems great and cools quickly.

S4 has a graduated speedo - goes to 320 kph but the space between markings changes as you get faster. 0 - 80 kph has every 10kph shown, then every 20kph to ~ 200, then every 30 to 320kph. Means 0 - 50kph takes ~ 25% of range, 50 - 120 the next 25%, 120 - 320 the last 50%. Can't think why all cars aren't like this, makes it so much easier to tell exactly what speed you are at where it matters most. Plus there's a configurable digitial readout to give speed in the DIS.

Block heater - never used or needed one so far, did consider an oil pan heater, but it starts well and sounds fine all year round.

Never changed a bulb or had an alignment done in 3.5 yrs. Replaced OEM summer tires this spring and they had worn perfectly evenly.

Reliability has been top notch so far .... last 10k km and 6 months of warranty have begun though :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 04:46:40 pm »
-   Alignments are needed every ~4 months.  For whatever reason the thing likes getting out of alignment.

I'm having a hard time with this one. Is it a dealer saying you "need" an alignment? That seems crazy high unless you take this off-roading all the time.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 04:55:29 pm »

Thats "amazingly" reliable?  ??? :think: Whats the year and mileage?

For a FCG?  That probably rates as very reliable.   :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 06:39:15 pm »
I've been driving my first FGC for 31 months and 26k km and not one issue. Based on that experience my next one will most likely be an Audi  :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 10:20:44 pm »
Apart from these design issues, my A4 has been completely reliable and is a pleasure to drive.

Always makes me laugh when I see this.  Even a FGC should be reliable for the first 3 years.  That's why a good majority are leased! 

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 12:40:21 am »

-  The power mirrors stopped working a few weeks ago.  I don't even want to know how much that will cost.

I'd be VERY upset if I had to do alignment every 4 months....same for light bulbs and fuses....

$300+tax per year on wheel alignment is NOT normal.

This is the problem with "reliable" German cars. Even at their best they still have a very high cost of ownership. One only need look at Consumer Reports to see a half red circle for above average reliability, followed by a full black circle for very high cost of ownership on several German models.

A friend of mine traded his 07 TL for a 14 A4 and was forced to purchase an additional $700 "warranty" to cover a repair that would have been included in the base warranty of most any non-German make. Fortunately Audi let him back date the warranty purchase, but you really gotta wonder...

I love the idea of owning one of these beautiful German machines, but just can't pull the trigger after reading of some owners' experiences.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 05:05:18 am »

Always makes me laugh when I see this.  Even a FGC should be reliable for the first 3 years.  That's why a good majority are leased!
Hence my philosophy of warranty + 1 year for FGCs.  Now the warranties are 4 years or so that brings the length of ownership up to my boredom limit.  I don't lease but the principle is the same.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 06:18:20 am »
A friend of mine traded his 07 TL for a 14 A4 and was forced to purchase an additional $700 "warranty" to cover a repair that would have been included in the base warranty of most any non-German make. Fortunately Audi let him back date the warranty purchase, but you really gotta wonder...

What was the repair and how did they force him to purchase this extra warranty? Hold him down and tickled him until he peed his pants, gun to the head, locked him in a room?

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 08:27:27 am »

2011 and 60,000. 
It's actually at the dealer today to get the alignment and mirror issue looked at. 
For an Audi, that's reliable from what I've heard. 

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 08:27:52 am »

I'd be VERY upset if I had to do alignment every 4 months....same for light bulbs and fuses....

$300+tax per year on wheel alignment is NOT normal.

This is the problem with "reliable" German cars. Even at their best they still have a very high cost of ownership. One only need look at Consumer Reports to see a half red circle for above average reliability, followed by a full black circle for very high cost of ownership on several German models.

Well, of course of course.
Buy a $50k car and it depreciates 50% in 3yrs, buy a $30k car and it depreciates 50% in 3yrs so your cost of ownership is always going to be higher. $10k in this made up example, dwarfing anything else.

Depreciation aside, which I tend to discount as I keep my cars a long time until they have little value anyway, cost of ownership for me as been pretty great.

After 3.5 yrs:
Routine servicing: $600 ($750 for Audicare with one service left to go)
Extra servicing: $200 (2 additional oil changes to make change interval 10k kms rather than yej Audi rec'd 15k)
Consumables: $1000 4 new summer tires, after 3 yrs life of the OEM's. Expect to get 5 - 6 seasons from the Michelins
Other repairs: $100 (front grill piece after hitting a racoon)

We'll see how it goes over the next few years, but one thing I love about German cars is many of the "wear items" are built to last. Eg brakes appear to have > 50% life left after 70k km's.

Also still have zero creaks, rattles etc and the interior looks like new.

My boredom threshold is pretty high, so I keep (good) cars for a long time. Probably cost the same to drive the S4 for 10 yrs vs 2 "mainstream" cars for 5 yrs each. The only years that I might wish the other way round are maybe 6 & 7 where it's a 6 - 7 yr old S4 vs a 1 - 2 yr old "something else". After yr 3, the mainstream car is likely to creak / rattle / bore me more than the old S4. YMMV.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 08:38:44 am »
The GLK has actually been the most reliable car we have owned thus far (barring the 07 Civic we had), however while it is coming up on its 4th birthday its only got 25k on it :P

Rapsheet
1. streaky wiper blade replaced under warranty
2. the sunroof has developed a nasty rattle when in "tilted" mode, goes away otherwise. Going to have that looked at later.

And this is despite me learning how to do DIY oil changes on it :P still good!
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 09:41:14 am »

Granted, I don't do much city driving, but routinely go 600 - 700km on a tank in the S4 which I expect is the same capacity as the A4. How low is your fuel gauge after 500km? IS this all city driving?

I wish I had the A4 ratios in the S4! 6th = ~ 3000 rpm at 130kph and I get a "change up to 6th" indication above 65kph. With the torque available, I'd much 6th was a true overdrive, usable > 100kph say and 2000 rpm at 120kph.

(Interesting - or not - aside, 6th on the S4 is very close to 4th (top) on the TR6 (mine doesn't have the optional electronic overdrive gearbox). .... but the S4 has > 3x the bhp.

Hardly ever use the hill holder, unless on a really steep hill or someone pulled up very close behind me, but seemed to work fine when I did use it.

Headlight washers only fire every 5 or 10 uses of the windshield wipers when the lights are on. But I still find just the windshield washers drain the tank pretty quickly as it sprays so much liquid on the screen. That said, visibility remains excellent in all weather conditions and I'm still on the original wipers after 3.5 yrs / > 70k kms.

Agree with TPL, love the rain sensing wipers, seem to work perfectly to keep screen clear with a minimum number of wipes. I do adjust sensitivity in very fine spray sometimes.

S4 has a graduated speedo - goes to 320 kph but the space between markings changes as you get faster. 0 - 80 kph has every 10kph shown, then every 20kph to ~ 200, then every 30 to 320kph. Means 0 - 50kph takes ~ 25% of range, 50 - 120 the next 25%, 120 - 320 the last 50%. Can't think why all cars aren't like this, makes it so much easier to tell exactly what speed you are at where it matters most. Plus there's a configurable digitial readout to give speed in the DIS.

Block heater - never used or needed one so far, did consider an oil pan heater, but it starts well and sounds fine all year round.

Reliability has been top notch so far .... last 10k km and 6 months of warranty have begun though :)

So it seems I should have gotten the S4...

Although the listed fuel tank capacity is 61L, I have never been able to pump more than 55L in it, even after running uncomfortably long with the warning light on and remaining distance at ---. Most of my driving is on urban highways. Most of my winter driving is on the open road, going skiing. In the winter, it seems I'm always stopping to refuel.

My previous car, a 2010 VW Passat 6MT had a nice close ratio transmission. 6th gear felt strong at 100 km/h on urban highways. I could go 800 kms on a tank

The hill holder on my A4 is automatic and can't be disabled

I have cheched for myself (at the dealership) that the headlight washer fires each and every time the windshield washer is activated.

Rain-sensing wipers seem to work OK when turned on, but grow increasingly lazy and unpredictable as minutes go by. They will wipe for nothing, then let too much water accumulate on the windshield before the next pass. Sometimes they seem to fall asleep after a stoplight, to the point that I have to turn them off then on again. Erratic behavior is worse in darkness.

Concerning the marginal A/C on my car, the dealer tells me there is nothing to adjust and it would have to stop working before a repair is warranted. Even at the lowest temp setting, the air is not coming out of the vents as cold as I think it should. By far, I have never had a car with such a weak A/C.

2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 09:53:57 am »

What was the repair and how did they force him to purchase this extra warranty? Hold him down and tickled him until he peed his pants, gun to the head, locked him in a room?

Forced because the repair would have been triple the cost of the additional warranty. I don't know what the repair was, but I do know that he was pissed because he had already purchased one enhanced warranty when he bought the car, but apparently it didn't cover this particular problem. Apparently you need to be psychic to have the right coverage.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 09:59:56 am »

Forced because the repair would have been triple the cost of the additional warranty. I don't know what the repair was, but I do know that he was pissed because he had already purchased one enhanced warranty when he bought the car, but apparently it didn't cover this particular problem. Apparently you need to be psychic to have the right coverage.

Or maybe its just a case of the dealer screwing over you friend? I find it hard to believe that something that broke on a brand new car was not covered under the B2B warranty unless it was due to neglect.

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 10:25:41 am »

So it seems I should have gotten the S4...

Although the listed fuel tank capacity is 61L, I have never been able to pump more than 55L in it, even after running uncomfortably long with the warning light on and remaining distance at ---. Most of my driving is on urban highways. Most of my winter driving is on the open road, going skiing. In the winter, it seems I'm always stopping to refuel.

My previous car, a 2010 VW Passat 6MT had a nice close ratio transmission. 6th gear felt strong at 100 km/h on urban highways. I could go 800 kms on a tank

The hill holder on my A4 is automatic and can't be disabled

I have cheched for myself (at the dealership) that the headlight washer fires each and every time the windshield washer is activated.

Rain-sensing wipers seem to work OK when turned on, but grow increasingly lazy and unpredictable as minutes go by. They will wipe for nothing, then let too much water accumulate on the windshield before the next pass. Sometimes they seem to fall asleep after a stoplight, to the point that I have to turn them off then on again. Erratic behavior is worse in darkness.

Concerning the marginal A/C on my car, the dealer tells me there is nothing to adjust and it would have to stop working before a repair is warranted. Even at the lowest temp setting, the air is not coming out of the vents as cold as I think it should. By far, I have never had a car with such a weak A/C.

The answer is always S4! :)
Seriously, when I was shopping the price gap between A4 and S4 was pretty small, when optioned as I wanted. Many of the "must haves" for me are options on the A4 but std on the S4 - xenon lights, sports supsension & seats, 18" wheels, dual zone climate, auto lights & wipers etc etc. Of course, if you want the toys such as navi, B&O stereo, adaptive suspension, 19" wheels etc the S4 price climbs quickly.

Just noted that you have a '14 so I expect you gas mileage to improve - mine got ~ 10% better after 15k or so. I wonder if the differences with the washers, wipers & hill hold are "enhancements" made between the 11 & 14 model years. I agree, I would certainly find the hill hold annoying if it came on all the time. In mine, I have to engage the parking brake myself by pulling the switch. If I do that, I normally disengage it before driving off. If I want to use the hill hold feature, I leave it on and it disengages automatically once the clutch is at biting point. Seems a good system, though I'd still prefer a traditional handbrake.

I am pretty sure you can change the behaviour of these through the VCDS (VagCom) cable - dealer should be able to do it, an indie will likely charge less, a fellow local owner with one even less.

Finally on AC, I tinted my car (not very dark, but blocks most IR (heat) and UV), that coupled with a non-all blck interior (2 tone brown and black) may mean the AC has less work to do in mine - may be worth considering tints. You can get them that block much of the heat without looking any darker than factory if you want to keep the look the same.

Good luck!

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:37 am »

For a FCG?  That probably rates as very reliable.   :rofl:
No, they are not ;)
Bombastic

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 11:17:02 am »
I think the Germans are doing better overall, but they still lag behind the Japanese brands in terms of overall reliability.  It's more model specific when you start looking at the German brands.  Snowie's TT-RS has been very reliable (though it's got LOW LOW kms) and a friend of mine has the same experience despite him having 4x the kms on his.  That models seems to be very robust and build quality is very high.

Right now I really like the Audi line up, and if I were to take a chance on a FGC - I'd go Audi, and I'd lease it.  Then I'd have the bail out option or I could keep it if it turned out to be a keeper.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2014, 11:42:05 am »
I wonder.    I like FGCs and I am prepared to put up with less reliability than I would with a Japanese car.   BUT my family unit is, nowadays, low mileage. I don't thing we have done more than 20K between the two cars in any year since I retired.
Our Fits have not had ANY work done except regular servicing and 2 recalls on the 2007.  So my experience is probably atypical.

Now, I happen to like French cars...I drove one, different each year,  for a month each year from '85 to '03. In summer, no bad weather, they were either new (TT plated) or rentals.      If French cars became available in Canada in all their varieties I might easily change my allegiance from VAG  to a Citroen or a Renault.     I wonder what the 'unreliable FGC' brigade would say then. I bet that FFC would very soon be a buzzword.