Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Audi A4, 2009 to 2014  (Read 17871 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Audi A4, 2009 to 2014
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:26:19 am »

A4 loved for all-weather performance and confidence, but have a used model checked for common issues and warranty-voiding modifications
Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Audi A4, 2009 to 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:26:44 am »
A "complicated vehicles like this one" with a lot of readings to refer to before buying...And the ignition packs problems still stay from the previous one? Holly crap!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 11:30:39 am »
A "complicated vehicles like this one" with a lot of readings to refer to before buying...And the ignition packs problems still stay from the previous one? Holly crap!

LOL...hard to believe this is any more complicated than most modern cards these days.

Offline Silverbird

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 A4 Avant, 2008 VW Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:22:06 pm »
Agree on the most part.

Definately pays to look at the later years, I hear that the oil consumption issues got better starting in 2011 or 2012, as well as coil packs.

One error though, the tiptronic moved from 6 speeds to an 8 speed ZF unit starting the 2011 model year.

Also, don't bother looking for a 6spd manual on the Avant (wagon).  never made it to North Americal in this generation.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:39:28 pm »
Also, don't bother looking for a 6spd manual on the Avant (wagon).  never made it to North Americal in this generation.

Not even on the diesel model?  :P
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:24:29 pm »
Having driven my 2014 A4 6MT for more than a year, the summary of my gripes is as follows:

--- gas tank is too small, allowing for about 500 kms of driving in winter and 550 kms in summer

--- transmissions ratios are too tall and too widely spaced. Sixth gear is almost unusable below 120 km/h because of weak throttle response. It's only good for inter-city cruising

--- automatic headlight washers are a nuisance. They start each time the windshied washer is used while the headlights are on. Each squirt consumes 250 ml of fluid. A short trip at night in winter can be enough to empty the tank. My workaround: disable auto-headlights, and try to avoid using the windshield washer. When I get to a stoplight, turn off the headlights, wash the windshield, then turn the headlights back on before restarting. After lenghty discussion with my dealer, there is no way to simply disable the headlight washers... They are even on the same fuse as the windshield washer.

--- hill-holder grabs too strongly and must be fought with more throttle than otherwise necessary when starting after a stop on a hill

--- rain-sensing wipers are erratic and can't be turned into a simpler time-delay mode.

--- air conditionning is weak.

--- the 280 km/h speedometer is too tight as usable speeds cover only 75% of the dial. 240 km/ would have been enough.

--- no provision for installing an engine block heater

Apart from these design issues, my A4 has been completely reliable and is a pleasure to drive.

2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:43:23 pm »
thanks for your opinion there! handy little tips and i agree that each of those things would bug me for sure... 250mls per wash, seriously?!

nice cars... and people really started falling for the audi brand in this generation... the "different" choice... trying to be the alternative for young, open minded well-to-do types. pretty timeless style.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:45:19 pm »

???

100% deal breaker in Edmonton.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Used Vehicle Review: Audi A4, 2009 to 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:02:34 pm »

???

One could install an oil pan heater.  Really, as long as the oil is flowing, that's all you need.  And using modern synthetics certainly helps with that.

But I still prefer the block heater as it means the engine will pump out heat faster.  Still can't beat the modern German diesels with their electric cabin heaters.  -30°C and it is pumping hot air in a minute or less.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:10:04 pm »

???

neither of my FGC's are plugged in during winter, and have no problem starting at the end of my working day sitting out in -25 all day.

and my previous MK4 Jetta didn't have block heater either.  had oil pan heater but rarely used it.   sure, it sounded like CRAP after a cold night, but it never had any issues starting..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 02:16:15 pm »

???

neither of my FGC's are plugged in during winter, and have no problem starting at the end of my working day sitting out in -25 all day.

and my previous MK4 Jetta didn't have block heater either.  had oil pan heater but rarely used it.   sure, it sounded like CRAP after a cold night, but it never had any issues starting..

Unless the battery is weak, modern cars will typically start, but they'll be running without lube until the oil gets flowing. That's the deal breaker part. Synthetic oil flows quicker, but even that has difficulties when the mercury is dipping below -40.

Block heaters are considered standard equipment here, and are automatically installed upon delivery to the dealerships, unless the cars can't be equipped with them.

I don't think I've had a car without a block heater.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »

???

Unless the battery is weak, modern cars will typically start, but they'll be running without lube until the oil gets flowing. That's the deal breaker part. Synthetic oil flows quicker, but even that has difficulties when the mercury is dipping below -40.

Block heaters are considered standard equipment here, and are automatically installed upon delivery to the dealerships, unless the cars can't be equipped with them.

I don't think I've had a car without a block heater.

Mobil1 0W40 has a pour point of -54 deg. C.  I've put a bottle out overnight in -40 deg. C temps to see how well it flows and it's pretty amazing.

Here's a great picture.  They don't state what temperature this was done at, but pretty neat to see:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:23:47 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 02:26:59 pm »
My Audi has been amazingly reliable despite a few hiccups: 

-  I change light bulbs and fuses more than I change socks.

-   Alignments are needed every ~4 months.  For whatever reason the thing likes getting out of alignment.

-  The rear trunk piston has erupted three times, leaking oil everywhere.

-  The power mirrors stopped working a few weeks ago.  I don't even want to know how much that will cost. 

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 02:28:01 pm »
Having driven my 2014 A4 6MT for more than a year, the summary of my gripes is as follows:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Seems the 2011's and beyond have better reliability -  a 2011 and 2012 A4 Avant is looking more appealing every day -  just not sure how much I'd miss a manual transmission, though I understand those 8-speed ZF's are the bees' knees.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 02:37:21 pm »

-   Alignments are needed every ~4 months.  For whatever reason the thing likes getting out of alignment.

-  The power mirrors stopped working a few weeks ago.  I don't even want to know how much that will cost. 

Thats "amazingly" reliable?  ??? :think: Whats the year and mileage?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 02:38:04 pm »

--- gas tank is too small, allowing for about 500 kms of driving in winter and 550 kms in summer

--- transmissions ratios are too tall and too widely spaced. Sixth gear is almost unusable below 120 km/h because of weak throttle response. It's only good for inter-city cruising

--- automatic headlight washers are a nuisance. They start each time the windshied washer is used while the headlights are on. Each squirt consumes 250 ml of fluid. A short trip at night in winter can be enough to empty the tank. My workaround: disable auto-headlights, and try to avoid using the windshield washer. When I get to a stoplight, turn off the headlights, wash the windshield, then turn the headlights back on before restarting. After lenghty discussion with my dealer, there is no way to simply disable the headlight washers... They are even on the same fuse as the windshield washer.

--- hill-holder grabs too strongly and must be fought with more throttle than otherwise necessary when starting after a stop on a hill

--- rain-sensing wipers are erratic and can't be turned into a simpler time-delay mode.

--- air conditionning is weak.

--- the 280 km/h speedometer is too tight as usable speeds cover only 75% of the dial. 240 km/ would have been enough.

Apart from these design issues, my A4 has been completely reliable and is a pleasure to drive.
Given that your A4 is very similar to the Q5...in terms of how it works.
1.  Hah! the Q5 has a huge gas tank...800+ kms in the highway...but then it has more underbody room to put it
2.  The Q is automatic of course but 8th is unusable under 80-90 km/h 
3.  The headlight washer cycle can be changed with VCDS  and therefore presumably with the VAG official tool as well.  How often it fires and for how many seconds can be changed
4. N/A to me
5. I find they do exactly what is says in the manual. Moving the switch changes the sensitivity of the sensor.  It may look erratic I agree.    Now if they would only change the switch so that washing the front screen doesn't turn off the rear wiper.
6. I agree that it is not like 'proper' a/c units that D3 cars used to have that would freeze you nuts off within 30 seconds on a really hot day but it does the jobs quickly.
7. Agreed
8.IIRC my 2000 A4 1.8T didn't either and I don't think the Q5 (2.0T) does either.  But of course as I live near the COTU I'd never notice.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 02:40:57 pm »

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Seems the 2011's and beyond have better reliability -  a 2011 and 2012 A4 Avant is looking more appealing every day -  just not sure how much I'd miss a manual transmission, though I understand those 8-speed ZF's are the bees' knees.
I am convinced that the ZF 8 speed slushbox is as good as the VW 6 spd DSG which I thought was pretty good. Speaking as someone who only drove manuals for 40 years.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 02:46:39 pm »

I'd be VERY upset if I had to do alignment every 4 months....same for light bulbs and fuses....

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »

I am convinced that the ZF 8 speed slushbox is as good as the VW 6 spd DSG which I thought was pretty good. Speaking as someone who only drove manuals for 40 years.

Very good to hear - and that's a serious endorsement!

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 03:24:07 pm »

I'd be VERY upset if I had to do alignment every 4 months....same for light bulbs and fuses....

$300+tax per year on wheel alignment is NOT normal.