Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 BMW X6  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 BMW X6
« on: October 15, 2014, 06:29:00 am »

2015 BMW X6 is surprisingly capable.
Read More...

Offline sweetadad

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2015 BMW X6
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:33:57 am »
It's unfortunate that there is no diesel offered. I'm sure if they can get the X5 here, they can do that with the X6 too....Europeans get the tri-turbo..sigh

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:40:38 am »
Where to begin?

RWD?  Cool?  I guess it'll be good for California/warmer states, but I can't see massive uptake of that in Canada or where it snows.  I mean, why bother with a behemoth with RWD if you can already get smaller, more nimble drivers?  Choice is nice, I guess...but given that the AWD set-up in the X5 and X6 favours the rear wheels, I can't see a RWD only version as 'desirable'...but that's just me.

As a result, fuel consumption has dropped by as much as 22 percent in some models, and coefficient of drag is reduced from 0.34 to 0.32.
That seems patently unreasonable to me.  There's no way a drop in 0.02cd could improve fuel economy by 22%.  There's more to the story here, there has to be.  I mean, BMW has always been pretty reasonable with fuel economy, so I don't doubt it, but I think more was done (transmission changes?  more than 10kg saved in some models?)

That you (and by 'you,' I mean lucky Europeans) can get the tri-turbo diesel...*swoon*

I mean, look at the numbers:
3.0L turbo petrol with 300 hp and 300 lb-ft - uses most gas
3.0L turbo diesel with 255 hp and 413 lb-ft - uses less gas
3.0L tri-turbo diesel with 381 hp and 546 lb-ft - still uses less gas than the petrol

And I'm sure others will disagree with me, but Audi and MB can go to hell with their iterations of the glue-on iPad and minimalistic interior designs...I think BMW has a true winner here:

^^ to me, THAT is the proper blend of sport and luxury.  WAF has been and remains much higher for this interior than for those in the Audi/MB.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 08:44:34 am »
Is that a typo about it being 10 KG lighter? How does "extensive use of lightweight materials" only save the weight of a small dog?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:57:34 am »
Where to begin?

RWD?  Cool?  I guess it'll be good for California/warmer states, but I can't see massive uptake of that in Canada or where it snows.  I mean, why bother with a behemoth with RWD if you can already get smaller, more nimble drivers?  Choice is nice, I guess...but given that the AWD set-up in the X5 and X6 favours the rear wheels, I can't see a RWD only version as 'desirable'...but that's just me.

I seriously doubt the RWD X6 will be offered in Canada, considering we don't get the RWD X1, X3, or X5. But I could be wrong.

As a result, fuel consumption has dropped by as much as 22 percent in some models, and coefficient of drag is reduced from 0.34 to 0.32.
That seems patently unreasonable to me.  There's no way a drop in 0.02cd could improve fuel economy by 22%.  There's more to the story here, there has to be.  I mean, BMW has always been pretty reasonable with fuel economy, so I don't doubt it, but I think more was done (transmission changes?  more than 10kg saved in some models?)

In no way does that wording imply that that the drop in CoD is the sole reason for the improved efficiency.

And I'm sure others will disagree with me, but Audi and MB can go to hell with their iterations of the glue-on iPad and minimalistic interior designs...I think BMW has a true winner here:

It really isn't that different from the Audi and MB implementations. The screen still protrudes from the dashboard, better seen at this angle:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 09:00:45 am »
Is that a typo about it being 10 KG lighter? How does "extensive use of lightweight materials" only save the weight of a small dog?

I think it is a typo. Other sites have numbers closer to 100 KG.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:05:34 am »

That you (and by 'you,' I mean lucky Europeans) can get the tri-turbo diesel...*swoon*

I mean, look at the numbers:
3.0L turbo petrol with 300 hp and 300 lb-ft - uses most gas
3.0L turbo diesel with 255 hp and 413 lb-ft - uses less gas
3.0L tri-turbo diesel with 381 hp and 546 lb-ft - still uses less gas than the petrol

Yeah, us lucky euro trash who pay +50% more for the same car as North Americans...  ;)

Anyway, just wanted to say that the 50d engine is a gem. The only thing I dislike is the faux engine sound that they feed into the cabin.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 09:35:03 am »

I think it is a typo. Other sites have numbers closer to 100 KG.
See, that would make much more sense for the fuel economy.

Oliver, my comment was re the cd AND a mere 10kg weight savings equating to 22% - I was saying there's more to the story that was not conveyed in the article, not that there's no way that the X6 gets 22% better efficiency.  I bet it does - I stated that BMW is pretty good about fuel economy, but I want to know what changes contribute if the weight savings were only 10kg.  I'm assuming it's a typo as well.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 09:36:34 am »

It really isn't that different from the Audi and MB implementations. The screen still protrudes from the dashboard, better seen at this angle:
I disagree.  I think it sits far more flush, and the widescreen makes it look far less awkward in the Bimmer.  Moreover, the backhousing in the Bimmer makes it seem more integrated than the screen-only approach taken by Audi/MB/Mazda.  *shudder*

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 10:17:52 am »

I disagree.  I think it sits far more flush, and the widescreen makes it look far less awkward in the Bimmer.  Moreover, the backhousing in the Bimmer makes it seem more integrated than the screen-only approach taken by Audi/MB/Mazda.  *shudder*

I have to agree with you, most of the tacked on Ipads look about as integrated as if a 16 year old was designing the infotaiment system....the BMWs is a little better, still not a big fan but it is a step in the right direction.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 10:24:30 am »
I have to agree with you, most of the tacked on Ipads look about as integrated as if a 16 year old was designing the infotaiment system....the BMWs is a little better, still not a big fan but it is a step in the right direction.
Exactly.  It's more so about saying "IF I accept that this iPad look is more functional, and IF I accept that the design is here to stay, THEN I think BMW has done a better job at integrating its look by using the back-housing, mounting it lower, and making it wide-screen."

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 10:26:45 am »

While a agree about BMW doing a better job that stick-on look of others, why not just have it integrated into the dash instead of having it sticking out?  Does it really cost that much to mold something behind the screen and have a smooth surface behind the screen?

I like the Audi's pop-up option over all others so far.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 10:31:36 am »
A lot of people don't like the pop-up for a few reasons:
1) it may break some day
2) it takes time to pop up
3) doesn't look integrated once open

It's all to say that there's no benefit to having the party trick of popping open if you're just going to have a random screen.  If it's not built-in flush with the centre stack, then it should still look integrated.

Which would you prefer?

or

Personally, I didn't have a problem with:

...but everyone seems to be going iPad, so iPad it is.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 10:33:36 am »

While a agree about BMW doing a better job that stick-on look of others, why not just have it integrated into the dash instead of having it sticking out?  Does it really cost that much to mold something behind the screen and have a smooth surface behind the screen?

I agree, something out of sight would be awesome.....I still don't get the purpose of all this crap, but if some people like/want it, at least integrated it well. As it sits now the best ones look like an afterthought, the worse ones, look like they are temporary.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 10:43:00 am »

I agree, something out of sight would be awesome.....I still don't get the purpose of all this crap, but if some people like/want it, at least integrated it well. As it sits now the best ones look like an afterthought, the worse ones, look like they are temporary.

I agree, but it's the kids nowadays. ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 10:45:06 am »
I dunno.

Look at those last two photos posted by NoTo.  The newer "ipad" design seems to allow for a lower dash height.  Surely that would make for better sight lines, particularly for shorter people.

I really have to see these in person before making a final judgement.  In theory I like the idea of the screen being close to my line of sight.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 10:51:20 am »
I really have to see these in person before making a final judgement.  In theory I like the idea of the screen being close to my line of sight.

This. I drove the new X5 and didn't find the screen too big or intrusive at all.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 10:54:17 am »
Look at those last two photos posted by NoTo.  The newer "ipad" design seems to allow for a lower dash height.  Surely that would make for better sight lines, particularly for shorter people.
Exactly.  Look at the 2 Bimmer pics - the dash is lower with the iPad one.  I can understand that and prefer it...but at least it looks integrated and not an afterthought.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 10:59:18 am »
This vehicle doesn't have a single redeeming feature, well other than to identify the doucheballers who tend to buy them.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:28:53 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 11:13:56 am »
This vehicle doesn't have a single redeeming feature, well other that to identify the doucheballers who tend to buy them.  ;D

oh, comon!!!

are you saying you are not in LOVE with this thing?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D