Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Mazda6 vs. 2014 Ford Fusion  (Read 31734 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Comparison Test: 2015 Mazda6 vs. 2014 Ford Fusion
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 11:19:32 am »
Depends on the wheel.  The leather wheel in the Forester is nice and had held up very well but the plain wheel in the Highlander is grippy and comfortable and I never miss leather when driving it.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 12:31:41 pm »
Carmakers such as Chevrolet, Kia, Nissan, Toyota, Honda and let’s not forget Hyundai, all offer top quality vehicles capable of dominating this segment
poor Subaru!  Always left out because it comes standard with rear driving wheels.  Damned if you do...

...but of course, it shows up in the forum.  Yes, Subaru sells based on perceived safety in the winter - niches are good for sales.

I gave my own long review of the Mazda 6 a while back, but have not driven the Fusion.  I have sat in several, however.

From my perspective, the Mazda6 looks great and actually drives smaller than it is.  I really liked a lot about it, including the engine.  The transmission is a BIG let-down, and I'm scared to say that I've come to loathe anything but a CVT because of shift time.  I hate lag, be it turbo- or transmission-related.  Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Mazda6 was a great car, but IMO its biggest competitor is the CX-5.  Same options, but for what, an extra grand or two, you can get AWD, more interior space (cargo and passenger) and a higher driving position.  For most, the CUV-craze is sufficient reason enough to forego buying a sedan, but if you want one, the Mazda3 is cheaper and offers much of the same equipment with sufficient interior space.

I do have to say though, I'd rather the 2.5L in the Mazda than the 1.5T (made predominantly to appease the Chinese government - not the end consumer), and I guarantee real world fuel economy will show it.

From what I hear, people really love the styling of the Fusion.  It's subjective, so I won't give my opinion (HATE the side profile and rear of the Fusion!! ;)), but it seems like Ford got a lot about the Fusion right - options galore, heavy discounting ("yay, I got such a GREAT deal on my Ford!"), and the 'right' size for a mid-size sedan.  With promises of fuel economy, power, and AWD if necessary, the Fusion has a lot going for it.  Unfortunately for Mazda, only those that drive/consider it will appreciate it.  On paper, unfortunately, the Mazda just isn't as attractive to John/Jane Doe Consumer.  No AWD, no :censor: "eco"-boost, and no colour but black on the inside (while it's my preference, others disagree).

I want to see Mazda sell more of these, but the Mazda6 is too closely priced to the CX-5 to be in the realm of relevancy in Canada and the upper US.

Offline Just_A_Fan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Grand Caravan, '15 GMC Sierra
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 02:32:22 pm »
Kinda disappointed with the video; given the title, and the way it starts with marking out the 1/4 mile, etc., I expected it to give some real performance numbers . . .

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 02:36:08 pm »
Kinda disappointed with the video; given the title, and the way it starts with marking out the 1/4 mile, etc., I expected it to give some real performance numbers . . .

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 02:38:06 pm »
I liked the review. The Fusion and 6 are by far the best looking of the bunch in the midsize category. Only problem with Mazda, needs moar powah!!! If I had the choice, AWD Fusion with the 2L NoEcoboost.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 02:38:40 pm »

Honestly, I share your disappointment. So I'll make you a deal. You get me a piece of tarmac I can legally run those tests on and I promise you I'll put them in the next comparison.

(I also promise not to blame you when people say "Why are you performance testing family sedans?! You auto journos are so out of touch!" :D )

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 02:42:43 pm »
I think the Mazda is a looker! But....the interior looks dated, it lacks power and doesn't offer AWD. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig LOL

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 02:42:57 pm »

Honestly, I share your disappointment. So I'll make you a deal. You get me a piece of tarmac I can legally run those tests on and I promise you I'll put them in the next comparison.

(I also promise not to blame you when people say "Why are you performance testing family sedans?! You auto journos are so out of touch!" :D )

Just use the 401, Ive heard the OPP are kind, intelligent and understanding. Arent they usually hired because their heightened common sense and sense of humor??

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 02:49:51 pm »
NoTo's onto something.  In fact, the FWD CX-5 is a perfect competitor to the 6.

I know we enthusiasts all lament the loss of the Legacy Wagon, but according to a Subaru salesperson I know, the Forester grew a bit and then killed the LW.  The OBW has it's own market and Subaru grew it to compete more with the Highlander crowd (that didn't need all the seats) but the market for a car-looking (low seating position, etc) wagon was being eaten alive by the CUVs.

They kept the sedan, which sells slowly in Canada, but the US market is stronger thanks to the love of the Camry/Accord/Fusion.  But, look at what those offer.  Fusion has an AWD model, or FWD.  All of them have "large car looks" and yes, the 6 is DED SEXY but the 3 is also a great looking car and brings pretty much everything you'd want in that type of sedan to the table for less money.

Right now Mazda has three winner products.  The ND Miata is going to sell like hot cakes given the direction they've taken with the car, returning to the Miata core of light-is-right.  It's a thoroughly modern retro roadster - EXACTLY what the 1990 was in 1990.

The 3 is great.  They've finally solved the fuel economy problems and the range is terrific.  It looks way more $$ than it is.  If Americans cottoned onto the compacts more, the 3 might take off.  Maybe.

The CX-5 is a shocker to me in how much better it is than the Tribute.  THANK GAWD they dropped the Tribute name.  It's one of the strongest players in the VERY crowded CUV segment.

Mini-Van?  Nope.
SUV? (Highlander-class)  Nope.
Pick up?  Nope.
Family Sedan?  Yup, but it's just ignored.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »

I thought your scoresheets included a section for how well the vehicle dodges :popo:?!  The Impala or Corolla do very well, whereas bright red CLA45 AMGs tend to attract.

In either event, we'll have to find you a good abandoned military base or airport for you to test out shenanigans handling limits. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 02:55:23 pm »

I thought your scoresheets included a section for how well the vehicle dodges :popo:?!  The Impala or Corolla do very well, whereas bright red CLA45 AMGs tend to attract.

In either event, we'll have to find you a good abandoned military base or airport for you to test out shenanigans handling limits.

What are they doing with Mirabel....theres your abandoned airport right there  ;D

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 02:57:41 pm »
I liked the review. The Fusion and 6 are by far the best looking of the bunch in the midsize category. Only problem with Mazda, needs moar powah!!!

Interesting split on that point. Some, like the reviewer, say it is quick; others who drive it say it is underpowered and slow. Strange how it is perceived.

For those who say you can only get black inside, is that a change this year? They used to offer an "Ivory" (really black and beige) choice.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 03:02:28 pm »
meh.. a HUGE portion of the buying public have set minimums that a car must meet before considering for purchase... once it's over that lower limit, it is just a bonus... i don't think there is a car on the market that handles below most buyers threshold. and in this segment, straight line performance is also adequate in all offerings.

the areas that mazda has tried to really push are spots that the buying public "likes", but really doesn't base a purchase on. oh, it can corner better? cool!... if the price was equal, there ya go.... for a couple hundred less though, they'll take the one that handles acceptably. thousands less?... no chance of going for the zoom zoom.

and yeah.. mirabel! i had to paint that place.. well.. the fed ex part... it was kinda creepy... i think it was right after a zombie movie was filmed there though.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 03:13:58 pm »
the areas that mazda has tried to really push are spots that the buying public "likes", but really doesn't base a purchase on.
:iagree: - in fact, I think you hit it head-on.

I tried SOO HARD to get papa Noto to get the Mazda3 instead of the Corolla.  The salesperson who took us out, and I both tried to focus on "see how well it handles?  This is for safety, and blah blah blah"

My dad said "the driver's seat bottom is flat, too firmly padded, and uncomfortable.  I wouldn't buy this if you gave it to me for half price.  Ok, well, maybe at half price.  The Corolla is $19k.  Can you beat that for the 2.5GT?"

He's not a silly fella, asking for the top trim for less than the mid-level trim, he wanted the sale to either flop, or to be such a steal of a deal that he could sell it immediately for a profit.

Point = driver's seat comfort was more important than any "zoom zoom" Mazda offered.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 03:16:03 pm »
Interesting split on that point. Some, like the reviewer, say it is quick; others who drive it say it is underpowered and slow. Strange how it is perceived.
It's not how it's 'perceived'...it's what people compare it to.

Compared to the I4 in the Camry, Accord, Fusion, Legacy, etc., the Mazda6 is absolutely no slower (if not faster!).  Compared to the V6 or 2.0T versions, it does need moar powah!

Nobody disputes that the 2.5L Skyactiv is adequate (or more than that), but wish for a 2.0T or 2.5T with 300hp as an option to match the sporting pretensions claimed by Mazda ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »
It's not how it's 'perceived'...it's what people compare it to.

Compared to the I4 in the Camry, Accord, Fusion, Legacy, etc., the Mazda6 is absolutely no slower (if not faster!).  Compared to the V6 or 2.0T versions, it does need moar powah!

Nobody disputes that the 2.5L Skyactiv is adequate (or more than that), but wish for a 2.0T or 2.5T with 300hp as an option to match the sporting pretensions claimed by Mazda ;)

Yeah, 180hp in a 3000lb+ sedan doth not equal "zoom zoom". The Fusion has the same kind of power but there is an available upgrade, with the Mazda, you can have any engine you want as long as its that one.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 04:32:04 pm »
Sounds like the result hasn't changed much since we test drove both 5 years ago.  The deciiding factor then as now would be the inclusion of awd on the fusion.  The fusion has been a great car for us so far and if it was a wagon I would drive it into the ground.  I'm more than a little leery of the eco-boost engine though... :-\
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:34:07 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 04:33:32 pm »
Two big factors are marketing and dealer network. Somehow Subaru is getting around this though.

they have the AWD thing down pat, it's so well known they don't need as much marketing, i guess..   
Mazda just doesn't have a niche in the market.    the Zoom Zoom thing coulda worked, if they have continued though..

2nd tier Japanese manufacturer,
quality issues for a while, (rust, popping door locks)
no marketing,
no outstanding features (AWD),

In terms of family sedans.  Even with the better marketing, the outstanding features (AWD), the available 6 cylinder engine, the Mazda6 still sells more than the Legacy.  So it seems to be a combination of things of why the 6 isn't selling well. 

Because it makes no sense, people say the 6 is doing bad because it doesn't have a V6, bad marketing, and no AWD.  So if the Legacy has all this, why doesn't it sell well? 

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 04:41:39 pm »
Because it makes no sense, people say the 6 is doing bad because it doesn't have a V6, bad marketing, and no AWD.  So if the Legacy has all this, why doesn't it sell well?

In the past it was because it looked like a dog's breakfast, the interior was ugly and cheap and the infotainment system was worse than a 1977 Corolla.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 05:27:02 pm »
You mean, aside from it being overpriced and ugly? Beats me.