Author Topic: Black Flag: Total Carnage, Utter Heartache at Bathurst 1000 and NASCAR  (Read 11775 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Shunts at Bathurst. Brawls in NASCAR
Read More...

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
Re: Black Flag: Total Carnage, Utter Heartache at Bathurst 1000 and NASCAR
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 10:06:03 am »
Bathurst? Isn't that a town in New Brunswick?

Really, Jacob, you're not in Australia any more.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 10:08:13 am »
Aw, poor Oldsguy. Confused and frightened by the concept that things happen outside of your own little world are we? Need a hug?
 :rofl2:

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 11:04:13 am »

No, it's a street in Toronto.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:38 am »

That's what I thought.

...now where's my hug from Jacob?   :rofl2:

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 11:38:31 am »
{}

There you go.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 12:00:18 pm »

That's what I thought.

I see those "Toronto - Center of the Universe" types are taking over again.  ::)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »
I for one would rather watch Aussie Supercar than anything NASCAR.  I wish I'd known about that link Wink posted sooner so I coulda sent my Aussie friend in NC it sooner...he'd have been ecstatic as he couldn't find it anywhere else unless he paid for it.  Just nothing like Mt Panorama - it's like 5 or 7 Laguna Seca's in a row...turn your brain to mush.  And they don't try to kill each other in pit lane or on the track like NASCAR (though that does make for some interesting highlights).

I concur.....Aussie supercars, especially on an amazing track as Bathurst, are way more exciting than watching a bunch go round in circles for hours on end.......too bad that some, cough cough Oldsguy cough cough, can't wrap their mind around tracks that do not go right AND left.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 03:00:30 pm »
I concur.....Aussie supercars, especially on an amazing track as Bathurst, are way more exciting than watching a bunch go round in circles for hours on end.......too bad that some, cough cough Oldsguy cough cough, can't wrap their mind around tracks that do not go right AND left.....

Not at all. Just because virtually nobody here has heard of it, and because it is not offered on any broadcast media in this country, and just because there is no sponsorship by any company here, and just because nobody knows anything about the drivers or the cars or the rules... no, of course, everyone here is interested in this.  ::)

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 03:03:18 pm »
Not at all. Just because virtually nobody here has heard of it, and because it is not offered on any broadcast media in this country, and just because there is no sponsorship by any company here, and just because nobody knows anything about the drivers or the cars or the rules... no, of course, everyone here is interested in this.  ::)

This might be confusing and frightening for you, so please sit down for a moment.
Seated? Ready?
Okay, so just because you don't know about something, and just because you aren't interested. That doesn't mean that nobody is. In fact, the Bathurst 1000 is extremely well known in North America - and FYI, it is broadcast up here.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 03:05:33 pm »

Its a race car series thats known throughout the world and there are quite a few members on here, myself included, that follow it. WRC is impossible to find on TV, a lot of people here like that too, should that also not be allowed to be reported??

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:05:53 pm »

This might be confusing and frightening for you, so please sit down for a moment.
Seated? Ready?
Okay, so just because you don't know about something, and just because you aren't interested. That doesn't mean that nobody is. In fact, the Bathurst 1000 is extremely well known in North America - and FYI, it is broadcast up here.
YEAH!

....and because Jacob said it's cool, it MUST be cool!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 03:08:59 pm »

Seated? Ready?
YEAH!

....and because Jacob said it's cool, it MUST be cool!

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »
Ahh Bathurst.  I've visited this city several times and have actually driven in this very circuit!

That's because this circuit is a public road when there are no races happening... just don't drive too fast because you WILL get booked.

Nice review Jacob.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 03:20:31 pm »
Seated? Ready?

Where is it broadcast? The Outback Channel? Sorry, I don't get that, mate.

I know about Supercars. I used to watch it along with that bizarro truck tractor racing they do down there when nothing else was on. That was back in the day when we had Speedchannel up here, before motorsports TV went to shite. And even bacl then it was pretty hardcore/fringe to watch this stuff. 

Look, I get it. You're homesick. Or you're a fan of what you grew up watching. I understand. But just because they might have kangaroo boxing matches down there doesn't mean that it gets featured in The Ring magazine here. What's going to get more clicks for the site owners? Here's a hint, bloke: it isn't Supercars. Especially when you tease a story about Nascar and them barely mention it.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »

Don't be silly.  JB would never ask me to leave his bubble - else, nobody would pick up the slack and boost his ego on a daily basis (weekends excepted)!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »
Especially when you tease a story about Nascar and them barely mention it.

You leave your glasses at home today bud? Try page two, it's pretty much the whole damn page....

Seriously, I get your point, but this is Bathurst. It is on an equal footing, globally to the Le Mans 24 hour, the Daytona 500 and the Monte Carlo Rally. It certainly outranks the TUSCC and WEC which we've covered here.
Lastly, this was probably the best race of the season, in ANY category. Anywhere. Hence, it gets covered.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:29:37 pm by JacobBlack »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »
I also usually point out the whole,

"did you enjoy your free read today?  You can lodge your complaints after paying a subscription fee.  Readers get exceptional writing content free of charge (assuming one does not consider advertising as a form of non-monetary 'payment') with news not often found elsewhere on the interwebs."

Whether JB is right or Oldsguy is, the bottom line is that one cannot complain about such things when one does not have any obligation to read it.

Northernridge

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 04:26:07 pm »
Of course people can (and should) complain about anything they want...this is a freaking online forum! If feedback is unwelcome (which it isn't I hope) then disable feedback and don't allow comments.

It would strike me as...short-sighted to say that we can't criticize content that we didn't pay for. As far as I can figure, autos.ca works like this: an ownership group somewhere carries the risk and underwrites the thing, advertising is sold to pay for the service (e.g. content), viewers sign-in and become engaged and sometimes even post comments, in doing so viewers are exposed to advertising and then buy stuff from the advertisers – so in summary, viewers literally pay for autos.ca content.

We are the boss of you.  ;D

BTW, I like the weekend motor sports summaries.