Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Audi S3  (Read 23752 times)

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Audi S3
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 12:11:32 pm »
At the price of the CLA 45 I would start leaning towards the S4 (with a stick). I am inclined to want the newer tech that comes in the S3 though; otherwise have to wait for the S4 redesign.

Audi has hinted at not offering manuals anymore in NA. The current A4/S4 and A5/S5 will most likely be the last generation to get a stick. Actually the current S4 isn't even available with a stick in Germany.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 12:20:42 pm »
I'm just disappointed with the pricing - not far enough from its 'bigger' sibling.  Same issue with the CLA.  Seems like for the money "saved", you're really sacrificing a lot.  Less so for the Audi and more so for the MB, but the S3's steering and lack of vectoring control makes me wonder why the S4 isn't the better buy.  If you prefer smaller, faster, then yeah, but I think simply too expensive.

I, too, am excited for the redesigned S4 - that thing is gonna be a huge update (else, fail). :popcorn:

Offline doc hot rod

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Had a '03 Infiniti G35 Sedan;'04 Infiniti G35 Coupe;'06 Porsche Cayman S; '09 Subaru WRX 265; 2010 Infiniti G37XS; 2010 Mustang GT convertible; 2013 Infiniti G37XS; currently 2010 Ford Flex; BMW 335i Xdrive M Performance Edition
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 12:53:28 pm »
I wonder if I could live without the fancier bits................

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 12:57:06 pm »
I wonder if I could live without the fancier bits................
The nice thing about getting a base model of a higher-end car, esp Audi, is that you get niceties that just don't exist in top models of lesser brands.

In particular, the reference made to Audi's attention to detail is that which I am referring to.

...but what is a $44,000+ car without xenon headlights, I ask?  I like 'em pretty and bright.

Offline doc hot rod

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Had a '03 Infiniti G35 Sedan;'04 Infiniti G35 Coupe;'06 Porsche Cayman S; '09 Subaru WRX 265; 2010 Infiniti G37XS; 2010 Mustang GT convertible; 2013 Infiniti G37XS; currently 2010 Ford Flex; BMW 335i Xdrive M Performance Edition
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 01:05:12 pm »
I don't really care for the electronic nannies but those headlights.......and a B & O stereo sure would be nice!

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 01:08:56 pm »
Yeah, CLA and S3 are ...cost savings! The main culprit is the front wheel concept for MB itself and transverse like VW installed engine in Audi. At least the very first S4 was with in line five longitudinal...Are they going into Honda/Acura territory? LOL

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 01:40:59 pm »
I'm very interested in this review as there's a very high chance that my next ride will be a VW Golf R, which is basically the same as this S3 but in hatch form.  I test drove a A3 earlier this year and actually didn't like the interior.  It felt too minimal for my tastes and I much prefer the VW interiors we've sampled this summer.  With the Golf R being cheaper, with hatch back, and manual I think it's the better value.  All the reviews that I've read have indicated that the Golf R is a bit more performance oriented than the S3, which sways more to the comfort side of handling.  In any case it sounds like a very good car indeed and nothing really disappointed me in this review (sure the steering input isn't great but which audi/vw is, and it's more FWD biased so what can you expect).

Same here.. waiting for the R, which has been delayed to Q3 2015. It's a long wait... but there really is nothing else, if you want a ~300hp AWD MT Hatchback. No 135xi, A45AMG or S3 hatch available, leave alone with MT.
What?!  Q3 of 2015!  That's bull pucky.  I thought it was supposed to be released in the spring.  Can you find the article you read that in?  Now I'm majorly disappointed as it's a stretch to even wait until next spring for me.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 01:44:06 pm »
Have to commend everyone for not mentioning the Subaru WRX/STI once.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 01:59:35 pm »
I'd still take an STI over this. ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 02:01:03 pm »
I'm very interested in this review as there's a very high chance that my next ride will be a VW Golf R, which is basically the same as this S3 but in hatch form.  I test drove a A3 earlier this year and actually didn't like the interior.  It felt too minimal for my tastes and I much prefer the VW interiors we've sampled this summer.  With the Golf R being cheaper, with hatch back, and manual I think it's the better value.  All the reviews that I've read have indicated that the Golf R is a bit more performance oriented than the S3, which sways more to the comfort side of handling.  In any case it sounds like a very good car indeed and nothing really disappointed me in this review (sure the steering input isn't great but which audi/vw is, and it's more FWD biased so what can you expect).

Same here.. waiting for the R, which has been delayed to Q3 2015. It's a long wait... but there really is nothing else, if you want a ~300hp AWD MT Hatchback. No 135xi, A45AMG or S3 hatch available, leave alone with MT.
What?!  Q3 of 2015!  That's bull pucky.  I thought it was supposed to be released in the spring.  Can you find the article you read that in?  Now I'm majorly disappointed as it's a stretch to even wait until next spring for me.

I read it here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6969440-When-Does-this-thing-go-for-sale-in-Canada-!

From what I've read, VW has issues with the supplier for the manual transmission. That's why the US release is Q1 2015 for DSG and Q3 2015 for manual.

Offline doc hot rod

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 02:03:45 pm »
Having had a WRX, I did enjoy the performance but found the noise/ride comfort on the highway to be brutal. Must be getting old when the Lexus and Audi's of the world start to appeal to me.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 02:30:58 pm »
Having had a WRX, I did enjoy the performance but found the noise/ride comfort on the highway to be brutal. Must be getting old when the Lexus and Audi's of the world start to appeal to me.
you're telling me?  I fell in love with the handling of the 2015 Subaru Legacy!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 02:48:30 pm »
I'm just disappointed with the pricing - not far enough from its 'bigger' sibling.  Same issue with the CLA.  Seems like for the money "saved", you're really sacrificing a lot.  Less so for the Audi and more so for the MB, but the S3's steering and lack of vectoring control makes me wonder why the S4 isn't the better buy.  If you prefer smaller, faster, then yeah, but I think simply too expensive.

I, too, am excited for the redesigned S4 - that thing is gonna be a huge update (else, fail). :popcorn:

Nothing to be disappointed here, considering a Subaru WRX STI costs about the same...except the Subaru can't deliver the level of luxury and refinement that this baby Audi can.

They are too close to call performance-wise as well:

STI
 Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
 Standing ¼-mile: 13.1 sec @ 104.4 mph

Audi S3
 Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
 Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 108 mph

Read MT's thoughts:
The 2015 Audi S3 starts at $41,995 including destination, but can be loaded to just over $50,000 with options, as many of the cars available at the press launch were. If you just want turbocharged, all-wheel-drive thrills, you could opt for a Subaru WRX STI and save a couple grand. The ride would be harsher and the interior less premium in the STI, but performance would likely be close to the S3. But the S3 isn’t just more luxurious than Subaru’s rally-bred special, it feels more grown up, too. Its giant-slaying performance credentials come in addition to its sharp, understated styling and nicely appointed interior with useful tech features, all of which make the S3 a great alternative for the hooligan that has to wear a coat and tie every once in a while.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1409_2015_audi_s3_us_spec_first_drive/#ixzz3FllmyHnC

So in my opinion, the Audi is priced right! and the Subaru...it now seems overpriced to me.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:51:31 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »
you're telling me?  I fell in love with the handling of the 2015 Subaru Legacy!

Yah, give it another 5-10 years and the old farts long timers here will be giving high 5's to each other for the next gen Lucerne purchase praising how great its light steering is for their geriatric hands and how well the suspension keeps the dentures from falling out.  :rofl2:
I am getting there myself.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 03:22:53 pm »

Nothing to be disappointed here, considering a Subaru WRX STI costs about the same...except the Subaru can't deliver the level of luxury and refinement that this baby Audi can.

STI

Audi S3

Read MT's thoughts:
The 2015 Audi S3 starts at $41,995 including destination, but can be loaded to just over $50,000 with options, as many of the cars available at the press launch were. If you just want turbocharged, all-wheel-drive thrills, you could opt for a Subaru WRX STI and save a couple grand. The ride would be harsher and the interior less premium in the STI, but performance would likely be close to the S3. But the S3 isn’t just more luxurious than Subaru’s rally-bred special, it feels more grown up, too. Its giant-slaying performance credentials come in addition to its sharp, understated styling and nicely appointed interior with useful tech features, all of which make the S3 a great alternative for the hooligan that has to wear a coat and tie every once in a while.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1409_2015_audi_s3_us_spec_first_drive/#ixzz3FllmyHnC

So in my opinion, the Audi is priced right! and the Subaru...it now seems overpriced to me.

I agree 100%.  $44k for a good price for a well equipped Audi with auto and that much power and awd.  Base S4 is 10K more.  That's a huge spread for most people. 

I still think the Golf R is the one to get.  It will probably be around $40-42K.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 03:57:17 pm »

STI

Audi S3

Read MT's thoughts:

I agree 100%.  $44k for a good price for a well equipped Audi with auto and that much power and awd.  Base S4 is 10K more.  That's a huge spread for most people. 

I still think the Golf R is the one to get.  It will probably be around $40-42K.

I will be very surprised if its under $45k.

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 04:04:22 pm »

STI

Audi S3

Read MT's thoughts:

Why? The last one was $39,675 (+ freight, tax, etc.) and was fully loaded. The regular Golf has become cheaper with the new generation and the new R will probably have some options. I expect the R to be cheaper than the last generation.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 04:25:18 pm »
I think it has to be cheaper than 44k that S3 starts at.  But the R will still be built in Germany for the time being so that's the only reason pricing may not stay and it may go up a bit, to 42k. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »

STI

Audi S3

Read MT's thoughts:

Why? The last one was $39,675 (+ freight, tax, etc.) and was fully loaded. The regular Golf has become cheaper with the new generation and the new R will probably have some options. I expect the R to be cheaper than the last generation.

Hope you are right. I somehow doubt the Golf R with match the performance of the S3 for a few grand less.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 04:48:47 pm »

^^^^^ absolutely true, VW has been pricing their cars very un-competitively lately. I believe it will be as expensive as the S3 but come equipped with a few more goodies...pointless!
Even if you were compare the European prices...the R and S3 are about 2k of each other.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:51:19 pm by Tauri13 »