Author Topic: 2015 Fiat 500L Adds Six-Speed Automatic, Does Not Replace Dual Clutch Automatic  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Traditional automatic achieves better fuel economy, begging the question: why keep the dual-clutch automatic at all?

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
My guess is trade partners: Fiat has an obligation to whomever the manufacturer of the DCT is.  By selling it as an option, it's not 'belittled' and is instead viewed as a 'premium'.

A way to avoid contract cancellation fees, I'd think.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
My guess is trade partners: Fiat has an obligation to whomever the manufacturer of the DCT is.  By selling it as an option, it's not 'belittled' and is instead viewed as a 'premium'.

A way to avoid contract cancellation fees, I'd think.

that or just another way to increase consumer costs.  One more option to boost the price.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
The C635 DDCT is supplied by Fiat Powertrain Technologies, so it's essentially of an in-house design and supplier.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The C635 DDCT is supplied by Fiat Powertrain Technologies, so it's essentially of an in-house design and supplier.
All right, then:

My guess is trade partnerscost recovery: Fiat has an obligation to whomever the manufacturer ofto make back some of the $ the DCT iscost to employ.  By selling it as an option, it's not 'belittled' and is instead viewed as a 'premium'Fiat can try to make back some money.

A way to avoid contract cancellation fees diminish sunk costs, I'd think.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
All right, then:

My guess is trade partnerscost recovery: Fiat has an obligation to whomever the manufacturer ofto make back some of the $ the DCT iscost to employ.  By selling it as an option, it's not 'belittled' and is instead viewed as a 'premium'Fiat can try to make back some money.

A way to avoid contract cancellation fees diminish sunk costs, I'd think.

Nice recovery!  ;D

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
"When the 2015 Fiat 500L starts rolling into dealer lots later this year, the ugly funky family hauler will have another option to tick off on the order sheet."

What is it about the new crop of younger writers at autos.ca?  Yes, I'm all for a bit of creativity and humour in an article, but this kind of snarky, juvenile, smart-a$$, flippant, off-the-cuff comment just lowers the overall tone and quality of the site...

I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
"When the 2015 Fiat 500L starts rolling into dealer lots later this year, the ugly funky family hauler will have another option to tick off on the order sheet."

What is it about the new crop of younger writers at autos.ca?  Yes, I'm all for a bit of creativity and humour in an article, but this kind of snarky, juvenile, smart-a$$, flippant, off-the-cuff comment just lowers the overall tone and quality of the site...

Every writer strives to be as witty and caustic as Clarkson.

...and they fail miserably.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
If it's anything like the situation with the Dart, the DCT will be only available in combination with a single, obscure, not-advertised trim, but only if factory mudflaps are ordered.

I remember reading a post about Edmund's early-build Dart stranding them with a DCT issue...and then the car just vanished from the fleet, no further reports.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile

I disagree...!

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)

It's funny how these forums work...

When we give straight up details, we are chastised for not giving our opinions. And, when we give those opinions, you chastise us more for sharing them.

I honestly just think the 500L is the ugliest thing on the market right now.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
=I honestly just think the 500L is the ugliest thing on the market right now.

I have to agree, and I'm not quick to call unconventionally styled cars ugly. On the road they look deceptively massive and bulbous.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco

When we give straight up details, we are chastised for not giving our opinions. And, when we give those opinions, you chastise us more for sharing them.

you should know that you just can't win!

I'd say the Juke takes the ugly prize though.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

You cant please everyone all the time, keep at it, youre doing alright!! Also, yeah, between the 500L or the Juke is a tossup.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Applauded you for that one.  In particular, kudos for standing up to that bully, Scaerio!  :P  I'm teasing, you're not a bully, Scaerio, but Mark's right - we, the readers, yearn for opinions.  That's what sets autos.ca apart from cars.com, driving.ca, edmunds.com, etc.  (that's to say that all have different writing styles - no two articles are identical, so you can read an article from each about the same car and still enjoy the read).

The 500L doesn't follow convention.  The Kia Soul doesn't, either.  Opinions are just that and they are welcomed in this context so long as they're based on fact.  The fact is, the 500L, in defying convention, is subject to subjective opinions - both positive and negative.  It's not libellous to opine that a vehicle's design is ugly, nor is it childish or immature.

FFS, how many bulges and forward light housings does one vehicle need?!

I think Fiat's just compensating for something ;D
(^^ see, that was childish/immature)

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)

You cant please everyone all the time, keep at it, youre doing alright!! Also, yeah, between the 500L or the Juke is a tossup.

The Juke used to be up there for me (and around friends, I still call it the Nissan Joke Puke). But, at least it's somewhat fun to drive (from what I've heard/read as I haven't been in one myself).

At last year's TestFest, I judged the Family Car Under $30k category, and the 500L was up against the Kia Soul and Kia Rondo. The Kia's were by far better vehicles to drive, even without looking at the sheetmetal.