Author Topic: Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars  (Read 30617 times)

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
Re: Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2014, 10:03:32 am »

However, both the GTI and the WRX have at least 50hp just sitting there for the cost of a COBB or similar (asked the WRX manager how much leeway they built in - this was the unofficial answer).

Only the WRX can actually use that extra 50WHP properly and enjoyably because of the AWD...

I'm not entirely sure. Yes with regards to the street, but the Mazdaspeed3 and the Focus ST do okay, and the GTI diff is pretty good (EDIT: fake diff, I know). Not in corners, admittedly, but a careful driver could work it out, unwinding at apex, etc. I sort of echo the TG assessment that 250hp is the cap for FWD, so in or around there. STI chassis could easily handle 400+hp with effectively no other suspension adds. Maybe DBA rotors and more aggressive pads all round.

A real electronically controlled mech diff will be available later this year as part of Performance Pack on the GTI along with bigger brakes and a few other things. 

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2014, 10:21:26 am »
So FWD is more fun than RWD or AWD with a kick-ass turbo? The reviews starts out by complaining that life isn't fun anymore because of all the rules, and then picks the car that seems to be the most appealing to the bourgeoisie class.

It's a good point, but there's more to a fun car than simply being able to steer with it's arse.  Plus, as others pointed out, they're obligated to add fun to our average, every day lives... most of us have obligations that require something more practical than the MX-5 or FRS. 

For the two-pedal crowd, I pick up a DSG GTI today, and will have a CVT WRX vs DSG GTI comparo coming soon.

Also, I conversed with - no, berated the head of the WRX program about the lack of hatch at the launch event for at least 30 minutes. If/when it comes out, next stop my driveway.

And for the hatch vs. new-car-abomination-without-a-hatch crowd, I've got a comparo of an '11 STI hatch vs. '15 STI sedan coming up wherein we look at the new car's improvements and if they're enough to convince hatch owners to give up the practicality of their old car.   ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2014, 10:27:06 am »

So much more low end power than the STI. Rides like my '02 on konis and RCE progressive springs. Suction cup grip. Weirdly bassy thrum at idle - actually borderline irritating. Not as grown-up as the GTI. No hatchback makes me want to attack Subaru HQ with a sledgehammer. The rear doors open really wide for child seat stuff, and it's much roomier than the previous-gen (just eyeballing it). Good enough that I'll give up the Bugeye when the wagon comes. Not if. Don't say if. Stop it. NOOOOooooo....

That's my beef with this car (and many others as well) and won't even consider it without a hatch.  My next primary vehicle will have a hatch of some sort, whether it be cuv, suv, or car. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2014, 10:51:33 am »
So FWD is more fun than RWD or AWD with a kick-ass turbo? The reviews starts out by complaining that life isn't fun anymore because of all the rules, and then picks the car that seems to be the most appealing to the bourgeoisie class.

It's a good point, but there's more to a fun car than simply being able to steer with it's arse.  Plus, as others pointed out, they're obligated to add fun to our average, every day lives... most of us have obligations that require something more practical than the MX-5 or FRS. 

For the two-pedal crowd, I pick up a DSG GTI today, and will have a CVT WRX vs DSG GTI comparo coming soon.

Also, I conversed with - no, berated the head of the WRX program about the lack of hatch at the launch event for at least 30 minutes. If/when it comes out, next stop my driveway.

And for the hatch vs. new-car-abomination-without-a-hatch crowd, I've got a comparo of an '11 STI hatch vs. '15 STI sedan coming up wherein we look at the new car's improvements and if they're enough to convince hatch owners to give up the practicality of their old car.   ;)

That's the kind of review I have been looking for.  Looking forward to it.  Not just a standard review.  New vs old, pros and cons of each.  IMO, often there is no winner, it depends on what is most important to you.

If I was looking 5 years ago, a hatch would have been a must.  But now, this would be a 2nd vehicle, not as necessary... 

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2014, 11:00:42 am »

However, both the GTI and the WRX have at least 50hp just sitting there for the cost of a COBB or similar (asked the WRX manager how much leeway they built in - this was the unofficial answer).

Only the WRX can actually use that extra 50WHP properly and enjoyably because of the AWD...

I'm not entirely sure. Yes with regards to the street, but the Mazdaspeed3 and the Focus ST do okay, and the GTI diff is pretty good (EDIT: fake diff, I know). Not in corners, admittedly, but a careful driver could work it out, unwinding at apex, etc. I sort of echo the TG assessment that 250hp is the cap for FWD, so in or around there. STI chassis could easily handle 400+hp with effectively no other suspension adds. Maybe DBA rotors and more aggressive pads all round.

A real electronically controlled mech diff will be available later this year as part of Performance Pack on the GTI along with bigger brakes and a few other things.

It's electrically-controlled, and hydraulically-actuated according to the notes. I'll send VW a note to see what the scoop is.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2014, 01:51:30 pm »
Just got my September issue of Car and Driver today. GTi beat the WRX in a comparo by a good margin, 216 vs. 188.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Re: Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2014, 04:20:13 pm »
Just got my September issue of Car and Driver today. GTi beat the WRX in a comparo by a good margin, 216 vs. 188.

Have them run the same comparison in Regina in January. Hell, anytime from September through end of May.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk Pro

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2014, 04:35:52 pm »

How many points separated them if you took out the usual crap about the VW interior or the fact the WRX lacked a hatch??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44:59 pm »
Here is the score card and comparison info boys:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2014, 05:05:41 pm »
^^Funny..many of the things I care about in a performance car the WRX wins...Acceleration, chassis performance, handling and fun to drive.

For me, AWD is the icing on the cake for a performance car.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2014, 05:09:22 pm »
GTi wins for me...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2014, 09:17:58 pm »
Cargo space is bad in the WRX/STI?  I know it's a sedan, but we talking less than 12 cubic feet?

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2014, 01:04:07 am »
Cargo space is bad in the WRX/STI?  I know it's a sedan, but we talking less than 12 cubic feet?

12.0 on the nose. The GTI's listed at 22.8, but some of that may be above the headrests - will check.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2014, 10:12:15 pm »
^^Funny..many of the things I care about in a performance car the WRX wins...Acceleration, chassis performance, handling and fun to drive.

Agree 100 % plus the base WRX is $2300 cheaper than the base 5dr GTI.  Too bad VW didn't price the 5dr GTI closer to the 3dr GTI...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2014, 10:25:31 pm »

Agree 100 % plus the base WRX is $2300 cheaper than the base 5dr GTI.  Too bad VW didn't price the 5dr GTI closer to the 3dr GTI...

I am sure they did this on purpose.  Most who want the GTI, want all the goodies that go with it, so VW just made it a well equipped 5 door version.  For the purists, who want the GTI, with less gadgets, the 3 door is available. 

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2014, 08:57:52 am »
Performance Pack on the GTI 

I'd be anxious to try the Performance pack out - it would almost certainly make the GTI more appealing for me.
Though it is a bit scary to think if the GTI in this test was equipped with it, it would have won by an even wider margin...

FWIW the C&D score difference Snowman posted is similar to the results in this comparo

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2014, 09:19:39 am »

Agreed.  I could quibble with their individual category scores and weighting, but given the grading system employed the GTI would win for me too.

But it's really a flawed grade for this category of car.  Where's the "Bombing down snow-covered country roads" score?   If that's included in the 25 pt "Fun to Drive" category, then it should be a 100 pt scale.

The sedan body style is the biggest detriment to this current WRX for me.... but I'm still 99% sure I'd prioritize it's performance and AWD over the style/quality of the GTI.

If I lived in California, I'd probably take the GTI.

Northernridge

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2014, 12:19:50 pm »
^^I agree. I did like the article though because they stated that liveability was a consideration which is why I have no quibbles with the outcome. Interesting to think about how the deck would be sorted if the test was for outright performance and driving experience only...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2014, 12:30:10 pm »
Having only driven a new Forester XT with a CVT, and how ridiculously responsive I found that 2.0T, I can only imagine how awesome the WRX is.
I drove the 2014 Forester XT and thought that the CVT was a killer for my liking it.  I've said it on this forum a lot - in S#, the thing is VERY well matched - highly preferred to any automatic I've ever experienced.  HOWEVER, that it defaults to "I" mode, or even that it uses "I" mode at all, irritates me.  It was an awful feeling.  Am I alone in this?  Do I need to re-test it?

WRX
This engine gives me happy feelings in my ear holes. Vroom! Whoosh! Vroom! Roar! Yay! Handles like a dream too.
Again, I fully understand the sounds solely from your descriptions  :rofl2:

Waiting impatiently :)

If I lived in California, I'd probably take the GTI.
+1.  While I love Subaru, the main reason I keep considering them is for the AWD (and how excellent it really, really is). If I lived somewhere that I'd never use the AWD, I can't see many reasons to choose the Subie over its competition.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2014, 01:06:56 pm »
^^I agree. I did like the article though because they stated that liveability was a consideration which is why I have no quibbles with the outcome. Interesting to think about how the deck would be sorted if the test was for outright performance and driving experience only...

Funny you should mention that. I'm conducting one of those next week with these two (and six other ) cars.