Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Mazda5  (Read 15374 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Mazda5
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:27 am »
Rapid and uneven tire wear...shock wear...suspension breakages!! What do you guys do to achieve all of this. I have not had this kind of happening on any vehicle that I have owned except one, in over 50 years of driving. Some vehicles were kept for 10 years.
I don't keep my cars for 10 years but for sure nothing like that has ever happened to me.  Mind you I don't go offroad, don't drive on rough tracks to a cottage or any of that rural stuff.  Of course some might say that many years of driving on Toronto streets is worse than any of that.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 12:00:31 pm »
Rapid and uneven tire wear...shock wear...suspension breakages!! What do you guys do to achieve all of this. I have not had this kind of happening on any vehicle that I have owned except one, in over 50 years of driving. Some vehicles were kept for 10 years.
I don't keep my cars for 10 years but for sure nothing like that has ever happened to me.  Mind you I don't go offroad, don't drive on rough tracks to a cottage or any of that rural stuff.  Of course some might say that many years of driving on Toronto streets is worse than any of that.

Add Hamilton, Montreal to the list.  I often get an alignment after my 2 yearly trips to Montreal.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 03:18:02 pm »
I never had uneven tire wear in my 2007 Mazda 5, and never did an alignment in the time that I owned it.

The rear suspension is very easy to work on for anyone who knows how to operate a wrench. You'll need a ratcheting wrench, breaker bar, and torque wrench, 21mm socket for wheels, 14mm and 17mm sockets for general components, and a deep 12mm socket if you're replacing the rear shocks. And a jack and two axles stands of course.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 03:27:12 pm »
I never had uneven tire wear in my 2007 Mazda 5, and never did an alignment in the time that I owned it.

The rear suspension is very easy to work on for anyone who knows how to operate a wrench. You'll need a ratcheting wrench, breaker bar, and torque wrench, 21mm socket for wheels, 14mm and 17mm sockets for general components, and a deep 12mm socket if you're replacing the rear shocks. And a jack and two axles stands of course.

I do the same maintenance on all my vehicles.  Whenever the tires get changed, I do an alignment, so that's twice a year.  Keeps the tires lasting long, which is partly why, these are the same tires I had on my Mazda6 (I sold 2 years ago, I think the summers are 4 years, and the winters 3 years)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 03:31:52 pm »
I visually check the tires at changeover time, twice a year, I haven't seen any uneven wear of any sort on any car even when I used to commute in the BMW and the Mk II GTI.   But then I don't drive into kerbs either and try to miss the biggest potholes

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 03:42:45 pm »
I visually check the tires at changeover time, twice a year, I haven't seen any uneven wear of any sort on any car even when I used to commute in the BMW and the Mk II GTI.   But then I don't drive into kerbs either and try to miss the biggest potholes
[/b]

exactly, the potholes have been crazy, especially with this last winter we had.  Putting 30-35k a year in these conditions doesn't help either. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 08:26:23 am »
I have only had an alignment once...when the brand (never to be owned again)...wore out a front suspension component for no reason. If the car drives straight in no crosswind and min. road camber and properly inflated tires, with no steering effort and tire wear is normal...what is the need? Maybe IRS tire wear emphasizes a good feature of simple twist beam rear suspension. Although I have had IRS cars that were ok. in this regard.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:34:14 am by Rupert »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:02 am »
I have only had an alignment once...when the brand (never to be owned again)...wore out a front suspension component for no reason. If the car drives straight in no crosswind and min. road camber and properly inflated tires, with no steering effort and tire wear is normal...what is the need? Maybe IRS tire wear emphasizes a good feature of simple twist beam rear suspension. Although I have had IRS cars that were ok. in this regard.

That's my point, cars we have owned, with the areas we drive in, don't drive straight, within a year.  So I just get an alignment, which is cheaper than 1 tire, just piece of mind.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 09:02:35 am »
I'm definitely not impressed with Mazda's strategy, if you can call it a strategy, of a gradual roll out of finally updated powertrains. When the Skyactiv was first offered in the 3 it was extra cost! Imagine that, an engine that is finally competitive with other manufacturers is extra cost! Then we have the SyactivD fiasco for North America. Not surprising that this manufacturer would continue to utilize old technology, even when they have better, in one of their flagship vehicles. If this doesn't change soon, sales will continue to fall for the 5 until Mazda finally concludes that "sales do not justify a re-design". My expectations for Mazda are very low currently. A couple of years ago I felt that the Skyactiv D would be a GREAT fit for the 5 and was looking forward to the possibility of this happening. Possibly would have been my next vehicle. Now, 2 years later, the 5 still has to make do with an old Duratec Ford motor that came out at the beginning of this century.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:11 am »
Comfort in the driver seat , I would get this vehicle one  !

Offline heroofmaxia

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Acura, Pontiac, Buick, Mazda
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:12 am »
Glad to see I'm not the only one with these issues. I just put on Continentals last month and the ride and noise are better now. Creaking is still there though. I still like the car...no issues with the motor or transmission. I just feel that the overall engineering of this car could have been better. Rather than just putting a van body on a Mazda 3 frame they could have used a little more creativity.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 02:32:39 pm »
I'm definitely not impressed with Mazda's strategy, if you can call it a strategy, of a gradual roll out of finally updated powertrains. When the Skyactiv was first offered in the 3 it was extra cost! Imagine that, an engine that is finally competitive with other manufacturers is extra cost! Then we have the SyactivD fiasco for North America. Not surprising that this manufacturer would continue to utilize old technology, even when they have better, in one of their flagship vehicles. If this doesn't change soon, sales will continue to fall for the 5 until Mazda finally concludes that "sales do not justify a re-design". My expectations for Mazda are very low currently. A couple of years ago I felt that the Skyactiv D would be a GREAT fit for the 5 and was looking forward to the possibility of this happening. Possibly would have been my next vehicle. Now, 2 years later, the 5 still has to make do with an old Duratec Ford motor that came out at the beginning of this century.

What flagship vehicle are you referring to?  If it's the CX-9?  What engine do they currently manufacturer that can be used in the CX-9?

I agree the Mazda5 needs a redesign with the Skyactiv engine.  Since the Mazda3 is going to be built in Mexico, it will be easier to justify the cost of updating the Mazda5.  It's currently difficult to justify with less than 30,000 units sold in North America to update, as this generation is built in Japan.  Little company, changes take a long time...

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 02:56:24 pm »

What flagship vehicle are you referring to?  If it's the CX-9?  What engine do they currently manufacturer that can be used in the CX-9?

I agree the Mazda5 needs a redesign with the Skyactiv engine.  Since the Mazda3 is going to be built in Mexico, it will be easier to justify the cost of updating the Mazda5.  It's currently difficult to justify with less than 30,000 units sold in North America to update, as this generation is built in Japan.  Little company, changes take a long time...

The flagship vehicle I was referring to was the 5. I believe that it is, or was, an important part of the vehicle line-up. Very unique, filled a niche, has great potential. Your point about it being "difficult to justify" is exactly my point - no updates equals fewer sales equals discontinuation of the vehicle. Regarding your last point, one would think that a "little company" would be well positioned to make changes as necessary. They better, or they may go the way of another "little company", Suzuki.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »
the 2015 Rondo LX is also available in a manual with a MSRP of $21,295, however all their other models are only available in auto.

Surprised the Fiat 500L is on the list of competitors, if so you should throw in the Kia Soul as its virtually the same size as the 500L and a bit more room inside.

Yeah, but if you want 3 rows of seats a manual is a no go for the KIA.

I was interested in a KIA Soul until I discovered that there was no manual with the 2.0 liter engine.

What a joke.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 03:28:04 pm »
the 2015 Rondo LX is also available in a manual with a MSRP of $21,295, however all their other models are only available in auto.

Surprised the Fiat 500L is on the list of competitors, if so you should throw in the Kia Soul as its virtually the same size as the 500L and a bit more room inside.

Yeah, but if you want 3 rows of seats a manual is a no go for the KIA.

I was interested in a KIA Soul until I discovered that there was no manual with the 2.0 liter engine.

What a joke.

Posted this in the car rental thread before Had a Kia Soul as a rental while having some body work done on the Mazda5.  It was the winter, got stuck any every side street with that thing.  Even if it was equipped with winter tires.  I just didn't like the feeling of that vehicle.  Got it exchanged for a Rondo when they had them in stock, now that was much better. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »

The flagship vehicle I was referring to was the 5. I believe that it is, or was, an important part of the vehicle line-up. Very unique, filled a niche, has great potential. Your point about it being "difficult to justify" is exactly my point - no updates equals fewer sales equals discontinuation of the vehicle. Regarding your last point, one would think that a "little company" would be well positioned to make changes as necessary. They better, or they may go the way of another "little company", Suzuki.

Not sure how you can consider the Mazda5 as a flagship?  It is a unique vehicle in Mazda's lineup, a good niche vehicle.  Is it the most important vehicle in their lineup?  No.  It's tough to say what is Mazda's flagship vehicle, the CX-9 has similar sales to the Mazda5, but makes much more profit.  The 3 and the CX-5 are their bread and better.  The MX-5 is their soul.  I suppose the Mazda6 could be their flagship, if we had the equivalent of what the Europeans have, like a wagon, and a diesel option.

Mazda is making decent strides with increasing sales and profits.  The Mazda2 and Mazda3 will be made in Mexico, which will lower costs, increase profits.  Mazda2 sales will increase if priced correctly, and the Skyactiv engine should help it be more competitive with the other subcompacts.  An update is already in the works for the CX-5 and the Mazda6.  A new MX-5 is on the way.  Every car company has a weak vehicle in its lineup, right now Mazda's are the 2,5, and CX-9.  The 2 is being addressed.  Guess we will see how the 5 and CX-9 do.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 04:11:46 pm »
"Not sure how you can consider the Mazda5 as a flagship?  It is a unique vehicle in Mazda's lineup, a good niche vehicle.  Is it the most important vehicle in their lineup?  No.  It's tough to say what is Mazda's flagship vehicle, the CX-9 has similar sales to the Mazda5, but makes much more profit.  The 3 and the CX-5 are their bread and better.  The MX-5 is their soul.  I suppose the Mazda6 could be their flagship, if we had the equivalent of what the Europeans have, like a wagon, and a diesel option.

Mazda is making decent strides with increasing sales and profits.  The Mazda2 and Mazda3 will be made in Mexico, which will lower costs, increase profits.  Mazda2 sales will increase if priced correctly, and the Skyactiv engine should help it be more competitive with the other subcompacts.  An update is already in the works for the CX-5 and the Mazda6.  A new MX-5 is on the way.  Every car company has a weak vehicle in its lineup, right now Mazda's are the 2,5, and CX-9.  The 2 is being addressed.  Guess we will see how the 5 and CX-9 do."

I personally have no idea what extent of re-tooling is required to put the Skyactiv (G or D) in the 5. If it's not much, then shame on Mazda. If it requires a major revision of the vehicle, then hopefully it will be ready to in a year or so. If the delay is too long. then customers will be lost and the needed revision may never happen. Maybe my use of the term "flagship" was somewhat inaccurate. I guess a better description of the 5 would be "a VERY important vehicle to Mazda". When you're the major player in a market category, (true mini-van), you never want to give up your advantage.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2014, 05:34:28 pm »
They do have a 2.0L Skyactiv versions in overseas markets (Japan, UK, etc.) producing 150 HP. The 5's engine is typically detuned for HP to provide more low end torque. They should put the 2.5 in here though, my old 153 HP Mazda 5 was slow. I wonder if the 2.5L Skyactiv motor might be too big for the 5's already very tight engine bay?

The 2.5L Duratec dramatically improved the drivability of the car when I test drove the 2012 with 6 speed manual.

Engine bay in my 2007 Mazda 5, when the clutch was being replaced:

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 09:25:43 pm »
Just thought I'd give my own Mazda 5 update here.

Own a 2012 Mazda5 GS with standard transmission. On Bridgestone Turanza 400s for those that care.

Just finished a 3700km trip from the Maritimes into QC and ON and back.

Averaged about 7l/100km over that distance. I'll do the complete math later. Two standouts:

$264 for 3700km driven - that's 7 cents per kilometre.

From just East of Toronto until just West of Riviere Du-Loup I averaged 6.4l/100km. My girlfriend made me stop when the light came on - I still had 12.5 litres left in the tank, or almost 180km. So a touring range of almost 950km.

I saw as low as 5.8l/100km over the flat sections between Quebec City and Riviere Du-Loup in both directions. Running at the speed limit with aircon on (it was 33 degrees).

Photo proof below.

Who needs a Prius V eh? Seriously, seriously impressed. Let me know if you want any other impressions on the car from that long drive.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 07:11:15 am »
Just thought I'd give my own Mazda 5 update here.

Own a 2012 Mazda5 GS with standard transmission. On Bridgestone Turanza 400s for those that care.

Just finished a 3700km trip from the Maritimes into QC and ON and back.

Averaged about 7l/100km over that distance. I'll do the complete math later. Two standouts:

$264 for 3700km driven - that's 7 cents per kilometre.

From just East of Toronto until just West of Riviere Du-Loup I averaged 6.4l/100km. My girlfriend made me stop when the light came on - I still had 12.5 litres left in the tank, or almost 180km. So a touring range of almost 950km.

I saw as low as 5.8l/100km over the flat sections between Quebec City and Riviere Du-Loup in both directions. Running at the speed limit with aircon on (it was 33 degrees).

Photo proof below.

Who needs a Prius V eh? Seriously, seriously impressed. Let me know if you want any other impressions on the car from that long drive.
I sat in a Mazda 5, for a minute , the seats were uncomfortable, got a Prius instead , 4.3 L/100km on a 1600 km driving @ speeds 115  -120 km/hr