Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport  (Read 19002 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 03:01:34 pm »
But that's the thing. The main reason why people are coming into this thread and saying "this is way too much" is because it's a Cadillac and it's their opinion that it's somehow inferior (whether is actually is or not).

You don't built brand cache and compete with the class leaders through offering a cheaper product. You have to charge the same and build a quality product. That's the only way Cadillac will actually stand on their own two feet shoulder to shoulder with the Germans and Lexus.

Somehow American cars HAVE to be cheaper. It reminds me of the new Vette. All we heard about was the crappy interior. You can now buy a totally luxury interior on the base Vette which can push the price up from the 50s into the 60s and 70s if you tick all the boxes. The complaint then becomes "this is too expensive for a Vette."

You can't win.
I am with you on this one.  Doesn't look too expensive for what it can do.  Making it a lot cheaper would be fine for Ford and great for Hyundai but a REALLY BAD IDEA for Cadillac.

And a Corvette with an interior by Audi would be pretty nice I bet.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »
....Hyundai Genesis V8?...

What about it?? Have the naysayers actually been in one, driven it?? Again, "oh my god, $50K+ for a HYUNDAI....are you insane?!?!?!" .

No, ask yourself a different question. Should Genesis V8 be priced in line with the Germans? If not, then why? Then see if you can apply the same logic to Caddy.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 03:22:07 pm »

What about it?? Have the naysayers actually been in one, driven it?? Again, "oh my god, $50K+ for a HYUNDAI....are you insane?!?!?!" .

i'm thinking Caddy's slightly overpriced, and using Genesis V8 as example on why it is.

From AutoGuide dot com
As a side note, that car competes with the V8 Genesis, makes comparable power and costs roughly $15,000 more for a fully-loaded model. Admittedly, the two cars stand on different planes from a performance perspective, but based purely on cabin quality, Hyundai has a real winner on its hands here.

Cadillac can charge whatever the heck they want.  i just think it's a little overpriced is all.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 03:26:18 pm »

No, ask yourself a different question. Should Genesis V8 be priced in line with the Germans? If not, then why? Then see if you can apply the same logic to Caddy.

Yes it should be, especially that 5.0R spec model. I dont know, to me I evaluate a car by its interior, driving experience, engine, shifting, seating positions....a whole bunch of parameters have to be met in order for me to like it. The badge on the trunk doesn't come into this equation.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 03:50:33 pm »

Yes it should be, especially that 5.0R spec model. I dont know, to me I evaluate a car by its interior, driving experience, engine, shifting, seating positions....a whole bunch of parameters have to be met in order for me to like it. The badge on the trunk doesn't come into this equation.

Then why doesn't it sell nearly as well as the FGC? For the same reason CTS won't sell?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 04:00:07 pm »
The previous CTS-V ruled it's class plus it bullied cars one or two classes above. And it was cheaper than this new car.

So yea, too expensive.

And Vman is full crap. Have never heard anyone say the C7 is anything but the best performance deal on 4 wheels...even when the price is maxed out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:01:56 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 04:28:49 pm »
The price is appropriate, and Cadillac would do well to stick with it even at the expense of short term sales. It's the only way to build brand cachet.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 04:37:50 pm »
I look at this way, if the CTS is not competitive with the E Class, A6 and 5 Series, it wouldn't matter if it sold for $40k, I still wouldn't by it. As it is the V-Sport is fully ten grand cheaper (13%) than a similarly equipped/performing Mercedes. How much cheaper should it be?

Funny thing is that I'm not even a Cadillac fan, I just think they did a good (or better) job with the CTS.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:44:26 pm by Northernridge »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 04:45:35 pm »
I loved the CTS-V....particularly the coupe (hated the wagon though).  I'd buy one.

I have zero interest in this one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 04:52:21 pm »
This isn't a CTS-V dude. It's not out yet.

This is the Vsport, akin to the Fsport, Msport, Amg package, etc.

I'm comparing it to the CTS-V because it's the SAME price as what the CTS-V was.  Like the C7, it was an incredible performance value.  As for the V-Sport..it's overpriced...that's my argument.

~$75K for a CTS-V or $75K for a V-sport.  No brainer.

Sadly, if they're asking this much for the V-Sport, the real CTS-V might be similarly overpriced...and at that point I lose all interest in it.  To me it's part of what made the previous CTS-V (and the current Vette) so appealing.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 04:54:53 pm »
The previous CTS-V ruled it's class plus it bullied cars one or two classes above. And it was cheaper than this new car.

So yea, too expensive.

Hence why GM made a mistake in keeping the CTS name, but moving it upmarket to the midsize tier.   The old CTS split the difference between the compact and midsize luxo segments.   If they moved it down to be a true compact (i.e. use the CTS name for the ATS), people would feel they are getting better value for a CTS.   "Hey man, cheaper than the last gen!"  Even if it's just a name change.   

It sounds stupid, but it's true.   People can't help but compare the new CTS to the old one...even if the new one is now up size and market.

Call this thing the STS Vsport.

Nobody complains that a 550i is more expensive than an M3, and no one would complain that an STS Vsport is more expensive than a CTS-V.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 05:01:18 pm »

So yea, too expensive.

Hence why GM made a mistake in keeping the CTS name, but moving it upmarket to the midsize tier.   The old CTS split the difference between the compact and midsize luxo segments.   If they moved it down to be a true compact (i.e. use the CTS name for the ATS), people would feel they are getting better value for a CTS.   "Hey man, cheaper than the last gen!"  Even if it's just a name change.   

It sounds stupid, but it's true.   People can't help but compare the new CTS to the old one...even if the new one is now up size and market.

Call this thing the STS Vsport.

Nobody complains that a 550i is more expensive than an M3, and no one would complain that an STS Vsport is more expensive than a CTS-V.

STS has an even worse name than CTS IMO.

Are people shopping in the 70K-80K class really not buying a CTS because they're confused about the last Gen? You'd think people with that much money would at least shop based on face value.

See Ron's posts for evidence of people confusing this new CTS with the last one.  He's essentially comparing the new gen 550i (CTS Vsport) with an old gen M3 (CTS-V).  This wouldn't happen with a different name.

And I'm not in love with the STS name either...pick anything.   ETS, ZTS, VTS!!!

Sell this exact same car for the exact same price but with a new name marketed "above" the old CTS moniker and it would seem like a better value.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 05:03:57 pm »
Okay, why is it overpriced, Ron?

If I have to explain to you why a 440HP V-Sport is overpriced compared to slightly cheaper 550+ HP CTS-V that I could get about a year ago, there's no hope in convincing you with your Caddy rose colored glasses on...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 05:06:41 pm »
The E class and 5 series are about as large as older S class and 7 series. BMW brought out the 1 series once the 3 series moved up in size, and MB did the same thing with the CLA once the C class bloated. Caddy isn't doing anything unusual.

Northernridge

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 05:07:38 pm »
The CTS has two potential big problems, 1) It's not as good a promised which is kind of what everyone is worried about, 2) It hasn't escaped the negative gravity of recent Cadillacs and is from the GM stable (once great but long-since sullied). Either of these will have a negative impact on receptiveness to price. Reminds me of Buick's problem...which they are dealing with pretty well.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 05:08:01 pm »

If I have to explain to you why a 440HP V-Sport is overpriced compared to slightly cheaper 550+ HP CTS-V that I could get about a year ago, there's no hope in convincing you with your Caddy rose colored glasses on...

Aside from the fact that it's a better car in every respect but power.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 05:10:24 pm »
The E class and 5 series are about as large as older S class and 7 series. BMW brought out the 1 series once the 3 series moved up in size, and MB did the same thing with the CLA once the C class bloated. Caddy isn't doing anything unusual.

But this new CTS is more than just generational size growth...

It's actually intended to move upscale.   The old one was often compared against the 3, A4, and C class as it was in no man's land between the compacts and midsize cars.   Not just in dimensions...but features and cost.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 05:11:39 pm »

Hence why it should have a DIFFERENT NAME!!!  Make it clear this isn't the old, lower scale CTS!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 05:14:39 pm »

But this new CTS is more than just generational size growth...

It's actually intended to move upscale.   The old one was often compared against the 3, A4, and C class as it was in no man's land between the compacts and midsize cars.   Not just in dimensions...but features and cost.

We'll see how pricing sorts out with BMW and MB, but I'm betting the base prices will be moving up for the C and 3 series once the new entry level cars are established.

If Cadillac wants to be taken seriously, they have to have competitive product, which they seem to have, and they can't be seen as a "value" brand. The whole point of buying a posh brand is to advertise how how much you paid for it, at least for some people..

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 05:16:21 pm »

Hence why it should have a DIFFERENT NAME!!!  Make it clear this isn't the old, lower scale CTS!

New names can be a tough sell, even alphabet soup ones. BMW has caught a fair bit of flak over their recent naming changes.

I'm guessing that the marketers have looked at naming and decided that there is enough value in the CTS name to carry it forward.