Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Kia Sedona  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2015 Kia Sedona
« on: April 25, 2014, 06:28:51 am »

The Sedona may not have some of the trick features of a Caravan, but it could to make up for it in executive comfort.

Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Preview: 2015 Kia Sedona
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:44:06 am »
I foresee those fancy captains chairs having the same issue as the ones in the Sienna Limited - if you use the Lazy Boy feature, there is no leg room in the third row.  Disappointing that the third row doesn't have enough height for long legs.  I certainly didn't have an issue in the third row of the Odyssey.

Are the second row seats (whether bench or captains chairs) removable?  How many latch connectors are there?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:19:38 am »
Nice that the lounge chairs are available when choosing  the 7 seater, you don't have to get the XLE or Limited like in the Sienna.  When you have 4 people, you can use the lounger, when you have 6 or 7 you may not be able to.. big deal! Nice to have the option.  It seems to lean more to a more premium and comfort, than utility.  Seems to be a lot more competitive, but nothing screams class leading...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:45:32 am »
I see this vehicle as competitive - which is a huge "kudos".  It's not perfect - outward visibility will definitely be limited, interior space may be smaller than its competitors, and I'll bet the steering and turning circle will suck.

Still, an exceptional effort and I look forward to seeing many on the road.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:58:45 am »
I see this vehicle as competitive - which is a huge "kudos".  It's not perfect - outward visibility will definitely be limited, interior space may be smaller than its competitors, and I'll bet the steering and turning circle will suck.

What's so exceptional?  Don't really see that the brought anything new to the segment.  Chrysler has the stow n go, tow the lounger idea from Sienna, Sienna also has AWD, Odyssey has an easier to fold 3rd row seat, good handler, cylinder deactivation. 

What does the Sedona bring that's new?  Nice materials, chrome bling, and an easy to use infotainment system. 

Offline Just_A_Fan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Grand Caravan, '15 GMC Sierra
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:01:37 am »
"Even the eight passenger models have a fairly comfortable middle row, and the bench folds up neatly behind the first row for those wanting to carry around some 4×8 plywood."

Does this mean that a sheet of plywood will fit inside with the seats folded forward?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:18:54 am »

What's so exceptional?  Don't really see that the brought anything new to the segment. 
Exceptional does not equate to new.
My kudos goes to them bringing an alternative to a small market with limited options - and what appears to be a very competitive option at that (depending on pricing).  Kia's beating everyone at their own game; packaging the goodies from different manufacturers into a convenient vehicle.

I always applaud novelty and utility - even down to a built-in vacuum - but what I appreciate even more is competition that moves the market in a good direction.  Kia/Hyundai have consistently done that - bringing more value for the money spent and forcing its competition to do the same.

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:30:26 am »
Although white is not the best colour for it, I really like the look of the new Sedona.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:36:02 am »

What's so exceptional?  Don't really see that the brought anything new to the segment. 
Exceptional does not equate to new.
My kudos goes to them bringing an alternative to a small market with limited options - and what appears to be a very competitive option at that (depending on pricing).  Kia's beating everyone at their own game; packaging the goodies from different manufacturers into a convenient vehicle.

I always applaud novelty and utility - even down to a built-in vacuum - but what I appreciate even more is competition that moves the market in a good direction.  Kia/Hyundai have consistently done that - bringing more value for the money spent and forcing its competition to do the same.

I understand that, and most of the time they do that, as was recently done in the Rondo, huge difference, and the competition (Mazda5, Orlando) have catching up to do.  In this case, I don't see how the Sedona is beating everyone at their own game...

Think we will have to wait and see for the full test drives, pricing, and maybe a comparo...

Offline Whofan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:03:28 pm »
2 row seat stow and go, can't beat that.

I like the front end for sure, but I'll stick to my 2013 dodge crew plus, just looking at the pictures, I think the ergonomics for the dodge are really good, looking better than the kia

my 2¢'s anyway :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 12:55:01 pm »
Was looking into it a little further, the MSRP of the 2014 Sedona EX is $37,095, that's without any incentives that may be going on.

http://www.kia.ca/suv-cuv/sedona/features-and-specs/models-overview

The Odyssey EX is $35,045, without any incentives.  If Kia is to have any chance, they will need to be below the Odyssey. 

Even if the Kia has a few extra features, the EX is the volume seller, power sliding doors, alloy wheels, etc..

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 02:52:28 pm »
Think we will have to wait and see for the full test drives, pricing, and maybe a comparo...
Conceded.  I'm not saying this will be the best one out there, but all the available options are there for what SHOULD be a competitive pricing.

Was looking into it a little further, the MSRP of the 2014 Sedona EX is $37,095
:stick:
wait...WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!  Yeah, playing the GM game with incentives is not a good idea.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 09:44:29 am »
I don't care much for the front end styling.  Hope that Chrysler like grill isn't where Kia is going with any of it's other vehicles.   They've got a good thing going there with current models.   The high belt line makes it look even more slab sided than the competition and reduces visibility.  The interior looks 1st rate though and the drive train is probably good, but I don't expect much from Kia/Hyundai in the way of driving dynamics.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 10:35:48 am »
Im getting old.....thats not a bad looking van.....  :o :o
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 08:52:31 pm »
Not bad but I expected more then that.  No original thinking.