Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8TSI Highline  (Read 21228 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8TSI Highline
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 11:19:33 am »
I would tend to agree. At this price point, people's incomes can't support hefty auto maintenance bills. This is one reason why Corolla and Civic are two of the top selling vehicles to this day.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 11:35:06 am »

How well a car ages is simply a subjective restatement of whether you like it or not.  If you find a car boring and uninspired now, you'll probably think the same 5 years from now.  Same if you think a car is overstyled and awkwardly proportioned now, you'll think the same later.  Nothing to do with how well it "ages" in any objective sense in either case.  IMO, natch.

That's rather presumptuous. There are plenty of cars which, upon first glance, didn't look right to me  but then I grew to like them over time.

I was one of those people who thought the Mk 5 Jetta looked dull and drab when it first came out, and now I think it looks... 'timeless' is perhaps too generous, but I think it looks quite good now.

Other examples that grew on me over time: E60 5 series. 1st gen Z4. Nissan Cube. Ferrari 612.

Presumtuous?  How?  I was expressing my opinion.  You are entitled to have a different opinion.  If you presume to declare that one car will age well and another will not - in anyone's eyes but your own - then you are the one being presumptuous.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
Re: Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8TSI Highline
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 01:40:11 pm »
Base price: $26,890
:hurl:

In a compact, that's about $2,000 too brutal, even without the $1,500 package.  When the near-base Corollas and Civics include a backup camera, how can they still justify requiring these 'top of the line' packages to get one?  It'll soon change for the upcoming 2018 mandate.

I just have an issue with the exterior blandness and the interior hard plasticness.  I don't deny that its competitors tend to also be hard plastics all over inside, but the Jetta's just feels cheaper and harder than all others, in my experience.

If they could use nicer interior materials, especially for the rear area side walls, I'd 'maybe' consider it a decent value at $26k given its size, powertrain, and handling abilities.

...and then there's the question of reliability.

The Jetta has always been a half-step (or even a full step) above other compacts like the Civic and Corolla. To expect it not to be more expensive doesn't make sense, especially when it offers a more powerful engine than the competition.

The Jetta's interior has also improved since this model debuted. The '14 is quite nice IMO.

Depends what you mean as a step above. It was far less reliable that either the Civic or Corolla. And for the price they were asking and the class it played in this was inexcusable.

Offering more for the price includes reliability IMO. Especially when it's expected in this class.
Is there anything else but reliability that Civic or Rolla are better? Hardly. I still consider Jetta step above of Civic or Corolla in almost all the categories except the reliability.
Bombastic

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 02:23:19 pm »

How well a car ages is simply a subjective restatement of whether you like it or not.  If you find a car boring and uninspired now, you'll probably think the same 5 years from now.  Same if you think a car is overstyled and awkwardly proportioned now, you'll think the same later.  Nothing to do with how well it "ages" in any objective sense in either case.  IMO, natch.

That's rather presumptuous. There are plenty of cars which, upon first glance, didn't look right to me  but then I grew to like them over time.

I was one of those people who thought the Mk 5 Jetta looked dull and drab when it first came out, and now I think it looks... 'timeless' is perhaps too generous, but I think it looks quite good now.

Other examples that grew on me over time: E60 5 series. 1st gen Z4. Nissan Cube. Ferrari 612.

Presumtuous?  How?  I was expressing my opinion.  You are entitled to have a different opinion.  If you presume to declare that one car will age well and another will not - in anyone's eyes but your own - then you are the one being presumptuous.

;D Ok, I'll bite. The irony of the above is your previous comment had the declaration and mine was the opinion. You repeatedly used the word "you" in your comment, suggesting you knew what I would or would not like 5 years from now ("[...]you'll think the same later.").

My original comment used words like "I" and "personally", which, at the risk of stating the obvious, means I'm speaking for myself and not foisting my opinions on anyone else.

Agree or disagree, you'll probably agree this is all hardly a big deal. Truce?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 02:54:24 pm »

;D Ok, I'll bite. The irony of the above is your previous comment had the declaration and mine was the opinion. You repeatedly used the word "you" in your comment, suggesting you knew what I would or would not like 5 years from now ("[...]you'll think the same later.").

My original comment used words like "I" and "personally", which, at the risk of stating the obvious, means I'm speaking for myself and not foisting my opinions on anyone else.

I used the word "you" as an equivalent to "one" - a generalization as to the subjective nature of any prediction as to how a car will age.  I was not suggesting that you as an individual thought that way.  How they heck would I know what another individual thinks and upon what basis could I claim to contradict another as to his own thoughts on any given issue?

At the risk fo stating the obvious, I thought the use of the term "IMO" would have been a signal to you (and here you mean you, Lebowski) that I was expressing a personal opinion and not makeing some declaration on behalf of all.  For future reference, that stands for In My Opinion.

No war that I can see, no truce needed.  No big deal?  Heartily agree.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 03:11:21 pm »

I used the word "you" as an equivalent to "one" - a generalization as to the subjective nature of any prediction as to how a car will age.  I was not suggesting that you as an individual thought that way.  How they heck would I know what another individual thinks and upon what basis could I claim to contradict another as to his own thoughts on any given issue?

At the risk fo stating the obvious, I thought the use of the term "IMO" would have been a signal to you (and here you mean you, Lebowski) that I was expressing a personal opinion and not makeing some declaration on behalf of all.  For future reference, that stands for In My Opinion.

No war that I can see, no truce needed.  No big deal?  Heartily agree.

*GULP* Well, I'm going to have to plead stupidity (and humility) here. While I did know what IMO meant, I didn't realize "natch" meant "naturally" - I actually thought it meant "no." I was mistaken - my bad. Moving on, then!

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 09:16:10 pm »
Enough of this nonsense... Just get the golfs rolling already!   ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2014, 09:38:01 pm »
I would tend to agree. At this price point, people's incomes can't support hefty auto maintenance bills. This is one reason why Corolla and Civic are two of the top selling vehicles to this day.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Jetta buyers are more affluent than Corolla and Civic buyers though.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:45 pm »
The average household income of.civic buyers in Canada is well over $100k a year.

It's an aspirational vehicle to many...believe it or not, dem the facts.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2014, 11:06:30 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Jetta buyers are more affluent than Corolla and Civic buyers though.

I'd bet the opposite - I bet a lot of Jetta buyers are overreaching beyond their means...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 09:51:41 am »
The average household income of.civic buyers in Canada is well over $100k a year.

Strange statistics. Is there any source of these claims? In my neighborhood where the household income is exactly above 100K I can hardly spot a Civic. Most of the cars are CUVs or SUVs though.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 10:18:43 am »
I agree that the Jetta is pretty spartan and cheapish inside and the exterior is very platicky for the money.  However, one can get into a Passat Trendline right now for the same price.  It has more base equipment than the Jetta Comfortline w/1.8 tsi, such as dual automatic climate control, fully automatic interior and exterior lighting, , soft plastic dash top and upper door panels and more exterior trim bits.  It also has the same powertrain, voice activated blue Tooth tech and multifunctional trip computer w multifunctional leather wrapped steering wheel.  It is larger, has a more comfortable interior and larger, wider cargo area.  And, I averaged 6.8 l/100 km, mostly highway at 115 to 120 km/hr, on my last tank of gas.   A real bargain in my estimation.

The 1.8 is smooth and has excellent tourque and plenty of power.  It handles great and has good steering feel.   And as far as reliability goes, the Golf I had peviously was my 1st VW and the first car I never had to take in for anything other than required maintenance, which was once a year or 15,000 km.  Just sayin!

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 01:10:55 pm »
Wing's positive comments about the 1.8T bode well for the new Golf, especially if the weight is reduced as much as has been speculated.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2014, 11:22:26 am »
Sounds like this 1.8TSI is delivering decent fuel economy compared to the old 2.5.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2014, 11:55:25 am »

In a compact, that's about $2,000 too brutal,

Why do North Americans ALWAYS equate size with quality?  Everyone always says that a quality small car is too expensive, because it's not big enough.  What if you just want a nice, quality car, but don't want a big one?  Should that option not be available?

Yet everyone always assumes massive SUV's are high quality, some are total pieces of crap inside.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2014, 01:08:26 pm »

In a compact, that's about $2,000 too brutal,

Why do North Americans ALWAYS equate size with quality?  Everyone always says that a quality small car is too expensive, because it's not big enough.  What if you just want a nice, quality car, but don't want a big one?  Should that option not be available?

Yet everyone always assumes massive SUV's are high quality, some are total pieces of crap inside.
Not just cars. Servings in restos as well to name but one.    I have not managed to come to a satisfactory answer in nearly 40 years here. 

I think that people, in central Canada at least, are coming around to the idea that a high quality, well equipped small car is the answer. But it is a slow evolution for sure.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2014, 08:55:05 pm »

Strange statistics. Is there any source of these claims? In my neighborhood where the household income is exactly above 100K I can hardly spot a Civic. Most of the cars are CUVs or SUVs though.

Very interesting stats, Civic buyers average over 100k.  In your neighbourhood, average income is 100k?  How does one find this out?  Also, makes me wonder, how a neighbourhood is defined?  Just your street?  The street around the corner as well?   Houses on my street range from $325k to $650, it's a strange street.  I quote lawns and driveways accordingly... ;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 10:00:59 pm »

Source? Would be a very interesting set of stats if it was cross sectional.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2014, 10:11:34 pm »
Honda Canada.

Offline Solstice2006