Author Topic: REPORT: BMW 1 Series M Bucks Depreciation Trend  (Read 6750 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
REPORT: BMW 1 Series M Bucks Depreciation Trend
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:41:40 am »

AutoBlog finds the limited run 1 Series M Coupe has appreciated over the years

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: REPORT: BMW 1 Series M Bucks Depreciation Trend
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:55:17 pm »
An M235i at $45k sounds like a good deal to me.  The 1-series may have been 'rare', but that doesn't make it worth the cost, IMO.  Who knows, maybe the M235i will buck the trend as well - cars as appreciating assets?  Who knew?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:00:51 pm »
An M235i at $45k sounds like a good deal to me.  The 1-series may have been 'rare', but that doesn't make it worth the cost, IMO.  Who knows, maybe the M235i will buck the trend as well - cars as appreciating assets?  Who knew?

The M235i is not production limited. The reason the 1 Series M bucked the trend was because demand far outstripped supply.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:13:19 pm »
I wonder if this might happen to other limited run vehicles like the Golf R?  One car I am pretty sure will be in the same boat as this 1 series M is the new Camero Z28.  Mind you it might take a few years before it actually increases in value.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:23:37 pm »
I wonder if this might happen to other limited run vehicles like the Golf R?  One car I am pretty sure will be in the same boat as this 1 series M is the new Camero Z28.  Mind you it might take a few years before it actually increases in value.

Golf R isn't "special" enough and the new one won't be production limited.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:35:18 pm »
...but what made the 1 series M so "special"?  The M235i is far better, so if it's made in higher numbers, that still wouldn't have me wanting the 1.  The 1 was really, really ugly IMO, but it's not up to me - people will pay what people will pay.  Good for them.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:42:43 pm »
...but what made the 1 series M so "special"?  The M235i is far better, so if it's made in higher numbers, that still wouldn't have me wanting the 1.  The 1 was really, really ugly IMO, but it's not up to me - people will pay what people will pay.  Good for them.

Bespoke suspension parts from E90 series M3, transplanted into 1 series M.
Bespoke body panels (like all M cars nowdays)
limited production (less than 2000 in all of north america)

but overall i agree, M235 would be a better car(better interior at least)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:00:59 pm »

Well to me the Golf R is more special compared to a GTI than a 1 series M car is to a BMW 135.  Plus the Golf R was similar in the limited production to NA.  The other thing to mention is that the Golf R has been produced in the past and will be produced in the future, the 1 series M was only produced for one year and no plans of producing another, mind you there probably will be a M2 at some point.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 03:56:23 pm »

Well to me the Golf R is more special compared to a GTI than a 1 series M car is to a BMW 135.  Plus the Golf R was similar in the limited production to NA.  The other thing to mention is that the Golf R has been produced in the past and will be produced in the future, the 1 series M was only produced for one year and no plans of producing another, mind you there probably will be a M2 at some point.

But VW brought over ~5000 Rs on three separate occasions. Sales for the second-gen model were pretty slow IIRC. Granted, the '04 R32 has held its value extremely well but it hasn't appreciated the way the 1M has.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:18:22 pm »
It'll be interesting to see if prices remain high after the M235 is widely available.

First issue with a limited run, might hold up, but it might run out of steam after the new one is in circulation for a while.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 08:09:05 pm »
Hopefully the TT-RS will hold their value as well. I see 2012's selling for $60k, should be good for when I change in 2 years.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:02 pm »
Hopefully the TT-RS will hold their value as well. I see 2012's selling for $60k, should be good for when I change in 2 years.

The owner of the one I drove here was offered $58K cash "right now, right now!!" for his.  He turned it down as he's keeping it unless Audi replaces it with something vastly better, which is unlikely.  He bought it as a "winter beater" (cause yeah, he's in the income range where a $75K car is a winter beater) but drives it a lot more than he thought he would as it's such a blast.

I have to google some dyno plots for the stock TT-RS.  Maybe it's just the AWD or power delivery or who knows what, but it feels like that 360 is a tad shy of the real deal.  My 911 had only 30hp less but didn't feel nearly as energetic.  Of course, my car had a lot more lag (TT-RS has, um, NONE) and the four speed had larger gaps between the ratios, meaning more or a challenge to keep the boost in the "wow zone."

One of the Miata guys paid a LOT for a 1M recently, and I think he's nuts.  This has happened to a few other cars recently, and unless they're truly special (which, c'mon, the 1M is not) they all nose dive within a few years.  Think C6 Z-06s are collectible now?  Yeah, right.  The C7 is SO much better, the C6 is no longer what anyone wants unless they're looking for a reasonably priced platform to mod.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 09:28:13 pm »
One of the Miata guys paid a LOT for a 1M recently, and I think he's nuts.  This has happened to a few other cars recently, and unless they're truly special (which, c'mon, the 1M is not) they all nose dive within a few years.

Depends on how long he keeps it. Long term, I think the values of the 1M will be very strong.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: REPORT: BMW 1 Series M Bucks Depreciation Trend
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 10:19:23 pm »
One of the Miata guys paid a LOT for a 1M recently, and I think he's nuts.

If this is the same guy I am thinking of, he sold his V70R daily driver to buy the 1M, and then sold his wife's 135i to get something more practical, correct?  Although, he does track that 1M at Castrol fairly often.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:15 pm »

The owner of the one I drove here was offered $58K cash "right now, right now!!" for his.  He turned it down as he's keeping it unless Audi replaces it with something vastly better, which is unlikely.  He bought it as a "winter beater" (cause yeah, he's in the income range where a $75K car is a winter beater) but drives it a lot more than he thought he would as it's such a blast.

I have to google some dyno plots for the stock TT-RS.  Maybe it's just the AWD or power delivery or who knows what, but it feels like that 360 is a tad shy of the real deal.  My 911 had only 30hp less but didn't feel nearly as energetic.  Of course, my car had a lot more lag (TT-RS has, um, NONE) and the four speed had larger gaps between the ratios, meaning more or a challenge to keep the boost in the "wow zone."

One of the Miata guys paid a LOT for a 1M recently, and I think he's nuts.  This has happened to a few other cars recently, and unless they're truly special (which, c'mon, the 1M is not) they all nose dive within a few years.  Think C6 Z-06s are collectible now?  Yeah, right.  The C7 is SO much better, the C6 is no longer what anyone wants unless they're looking for a reasonably priced platform to mod.

I've spoken to someone who has owned every M3 sold, he says the 1M is most like the original M3 than the last couple of new generations.  In other words, he rates the 1M as the best 'M3' ever.

IIRC they're about the same size.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 12:11:21 am »
In the last 2 years, the price of air cooled 911 have gone crazy. I got what I consider absurd money for my 911.

It's pretty neat to have a car appreciate so quickly while you've owned it
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...