Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2387691 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #14920 on: March 04, 2024, 04:39:12 pm »

And yeah, the older ones seem to rust, but I'm sure you don't see it at night.

Exactly!

I have some header paint I'll put on at some point.

Also, people seem to totally love it when I put the color changing fire powder in the pit.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14921 on: March 07, 2024, 07:37:21 pm »
Taxes efiled, refund expected.

Refund arrive in nine days.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14922 on: March 08, 2024, 01:09:50 pm »
Taxes efiled, refund expected.

Refund arrive in nine days.

Cool.  I filed on Feb29th, I should check on it.   Because I can now share pension income we both get a refund now.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14923 on: March 08, 2024, 06:07:11 pm »
^^^It's great is it not ? ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #14924 on: March 08, 2024, 07:53:29 pm »
Took a 2014 Murano in on trade a few weeks back with a bad transmission. At 145k the cars still in great shape. Stacks of service records from new, and zero accidents or damage. Overall a very nice vehicle. The transmission failed due to a ruptured cooling line that happened in our last cold snap. Customer said he was driving down the highway when it began to shudder, almost didn’t make it to town and would hardly move afterwards. Nissan quote was $14,718 for a new CVT. I was getting quotes on used at low $2800 for 200km+ to $6,500 for a low km unit (80k) plus installation at ~$1800-$2,000. Ended up buying a written off 2013 with 108km today for $1581.78. It’s hit in the back so everything power train should be ok!

I haven’t got time for a project, so I’ll probably have my trusty shop take the transmission out of the wrecked one and into the good unit. Might make a bit off parts hopefully. In the end I’ll have about $6,000 into it, which these days isn’t a bad deal at all.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14925 on: March 09, 2024, 12:51:04 pm »
Took a 2014 Murano in on trade a few weeks back with a bad transmission. At 145k the cars still in great shape. Stacks of service records from new, and zero accidents or damage. Overall a very nice vehicle. The transmission failed due to a ruptured cooling line that happened in our last cold snap. Customer said he was driving down the highway when it began to shudder, almost didn’t make it to town and would hardly move afterwards. Nissan quote was $14,718 for a new CVT. I was getting quotes on used at low $2800 for 200km+ to $6,500 for a low km unit (80k) plus installation at ~$1800-$2,000. Ended up buying a written off 2013 with 108km today for $1581.78. It’s hit in the back so everything power train should be ok!

I haven’t got time for a project, so I’ll probably have my trusty shop take the transmission out of the wrecked one and into the good unit. Might make a bit off parts hopefully. In the end I’ll have about $6,000 into it, which these days isn’t a bad deal at all.

Nice, sounds like a win. Crazy that a ruptured line took out a transmission like that, another reason super cold weather sucks

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14926 on: March 09, 2024, 12:55:21 pm »
Jatco for the win!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14927 on: March 22, 2024, 11:37:24 am »
Leaving for Dominican Republic tomorrow morning, bright and early, with my wife and 4 friends...tomorrows forecast for Fredericton tomorrow after we are gone...25-35cms of snow.  Literally the worst winter storm we have had this year and I won't be here to deal with it.  Today and the day before was pretty wintery also.  Been mostly spring weather for a few weeks and all our snow was gone.

Got my in-laws looking after the house and the pups, and our neighbor will look after blowing the driveway.  So it shouldn't be too bad for my in-laws.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #14928 on: March 22, 2024, 11:47:35 am »
Leaving for Dominican Republic tomorrow morning, bright and early, with my wife and 4 friends...tomorrows forecast for Fredericton tomorrow after we are gone...25-35cms of snow.  Literally the worst winter storm we have had this year and I won't be here to deal with it.  Today and the day before was pretty wintery also.  Been mostly spring weather for a few weeks and all our snow was gone.

Got my in-laws looking after the house and the pups, and our neighbor will look after blowing the driveway.  So it shouldn't be too bad for my in-laws.
Nice! Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14929 on: March 22, 2024, 11:55:13 am »
I'm gonna be in the same boat as Rrocket come end of March, current contract/project ends March 31st, so I've already started networking with various consulting firms. Had a meet & greet with one last Friday, seems like they got their :censor: together, HR lady was thoroughly impressed with my resume. Have another meet & greet set up for next Tuesday as well with another firm. Current pimp is looking at options for me elsewhere as well, but he doesn't seem like a mover & a shaker, so I'm not gonna just solely rely on him.

I'm also lobbying within my current Fed dept to see if there are any projects coming up with other groups that might need my expertise & a Director thinks they can bring me on come April, but haven't completed their budget for next fiscal yet. The budget has been tightened across all departments & hiring of consultants takes more justification now, so I'll probably have to take a pay cut as well. Such is the life of a consultant, just gotta prep for this :censor: & be ready for opportunities, interviews & schmoozing :rofl:

Looks like I've landed a gig within the same department as I'm currently working in. Nothing is fully finalized yet, but I met with the client yesterday & got confirmation today that they're starting on the paperwork to bring me on board. Working through a different agency this time, so I need to iron out the contract with them & the rate still as well. Looks like I'll most likely have to take a bit of a pay cut, but with all the BS going on right now with consultants working for the Feds, I'll take what I can for now. Next Thursday is my final day on my current project & it seems I'll have about 3 weeks off or so until the new role starts... oh well, get some spring skiing in while we still have some & hopefully golf shortly after.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14930 on: March 22, 2024, 11:59:58 am »
I'm gonna be in the same boat as Rrocket come end of March, current contract/project ends March 31st, so I've already started networking with various consulting firms. Had a meet & greet with one last Friday, seems like they got their :censor: together, HR lady was thoroughly impressed with my resume. Have another meet & greet set up for next Tuesday as well with another firm. Current pimp is looking at options for me elsewhere as well, but he doesn't seem like a mover & a shaker, so I'm not gonna just solely rely on him.

I'm also lobbying within my current Fed dept to see if there are any projects coming up with other groups that might need my expertise & a Director thinks they can bring me on come April, but haven't completed their budget for next fiscal yet. The budget has been tightened across all departments & hiring of consultants takes more justification now, so I'll probably have to take a pay cut as well. Such is the life of a consultant, just gotta prep for this :censor: & be ready for opportunities, interviews & schmoozing :rofl:

Looks like I've landed a gig within the same department as I'm currently working in. Nothing is fully finalized yet, but I met with the client yesterday & got confirmation today that they're starting on the paperwork to bring me on board. Working through a different agency this time, so I need to iron out the contract with them & the rate still as well. Looks like I'll most likely have to take a bit of a pay cut, but with all the BS going on right now with consultants working for the Feds, I'll take what I can for now. Next Thursday is my final day on my current project & it seems I'll have about 3 weeks off or so until the new role starts... oh well, get some spring skiing in while we still have some & hopefully golf shortly after.

Great news Gurgie.  Enjoy the time off.  Not having a paycheque for a few weeks may suck but I've always regretted not taking more time off when switching jobs.  I took a week off last year when switching and it was glorious not having to think about work whatsoever for that time period.  I should have taken more.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14931 on: March 22, 2024, 12:00:14 pm »
 :cheers:

Congrats!

April isn't a terrible time of year to have a break, remember getting laid off end March about ten years ago. Things are warming and brightening up hard by then

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14932 on: March 22, 2024, 12:07:48 pm »
Living large of a fat government contract. What's not to like?  ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14933 on: March 22, 2024, 12:18:41 pm »

Nice and I'm sure you won't regret having some extra time off before gigs.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14934 on: March 22, 2024, 12:31:41 pm »
Living large of a fat government contract. What's not to like?  ;D

:rofl:

Don't think this one is gonna be as fat as I'd like it to be, don't have any concrete numbers yet, but I'm figuring $25k - $38k less per year on this next one  :-\

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14935 on: March 22, 2024, 12:38:08 pm »
Thanks guys, I was preparing for the worst & figured I'd be outta work for a month or more... now I won't have to dip into my reserves as much  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14936 on: March 22, 2024, 01:25:03 pm »
Congrats! As you said, it's tough out there right now so it's a good thing you've got another contract.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14937 on: March 22, 2024, 01:31:40 pm »
Thanks guys, I was preparing for the worst & figured I'd be outta work for a month or more... now I won't have to dip into my reserves as much  ;D

No more arrive can contracts?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14938 on: March 22, 2024, 02:35:56 pm »

Nice!  Have fun.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14939 on: March 22, 2024, 04:03:56 pm »

No more arrive can contracts?
Ha, ha, ha... fortunately I was not involved with that. Though I do know the President of the company involved, played hockey with him for a number of years & did work as a consultant for their sister company from May 2018 to March 2019. What a freaking mess!!