Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2387732 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #14860 on: February 22, 2024, 10:47:35 am »

My sister works in HR and has told me the horror stories of having to try to lay some one off these days and then eventually let them go... you should do well in the severance. A good labour lawyer will get you more than you deserve  :stick:  :rofl:  :run:

Not my area at all, but I know two things well enough: 1) the laws are pretty clear on the subject, and 2) notwithstanding that, companies ROUTINELY try to stiff employees, on the theory that x percentage won't have the balls to fight them. 

Always fight them.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14861 on: February 22, 2024, 10:51:27 am »

My sister works in HR and has told me the horror stories of having to try to lay some one off these days and then eventually let them go... you should do well in the severance. A good labour lawyer will get you more than you deserve  :stick:  :rofl:  :run:

Not my area at all, but I know two things well enough: 1) the laws are pretty clear on the subject, and 2) notwithstanding that, companies ROUTINELY try to stiff employees, on the theory that x percentage won't have the balls to fight them. 

Always fight them.
Exactly this, fight regardless of what they offer and get as much as you can before settling. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14862 on: February 22, 2024, 11:00:18 am »
Just be careful with those promising the moon. In the end you may get a little more but the bulk goes to the person fighting for you. Lawyers don't lose.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #14863 on: February 22, 2024, 11:09:37 am »
Thanks for the kind words!!

I'm stoked and glad to be done with them. It turned into a terrible place to work once it was no longer family owned.

I am a bit sad because I literally set the department up. I wrote the code for the Postprocessors they use to this day along with the Tool Database. Many of the Machining Standards in use I wrote. And prior to arriving there, I helped develop the machining software they use to this day. To say I had an "effect" on the prosperity of this place is an understatement. There's a reason they called me GOAT.

But being The GOAT was also problematic in recent years. Because I was unwavering in saying "NO" whenever they tried to do something stupid, take advantage, move the goal posts/mission creep (no one in management has experience in my field), it became a battle and I was deemed "not a team player". And because I was GOAT, other employees would generally follow what I did such was my influence. So I became problematic for them. Too much influence and knowledge. I could easily sniff out their plans and block them. And boy do I have dirt on them!

So I'm looking forward to leveraging that into a nice settlement. Of course they offered me the bare minimum (as someone above mentioned). Always contest this!! Businesses rarely win if it goes to arbitration for an old guy like me. Were looking for 20+ months severance pay.

Will miss my friends (several of the guys there were my students when I was teaching College), will miss the interesting work (automotive lighting). And I'll miss the dangerous nature of the work. And especially the creativity in taking an 8 ton block of steel and turning it into a magnificent, jewel like headlight reflector.

Not sure what I'll do moving forward. Have applied to some out-of-industry jobs for now. Am ready to retire but IQ is not. So I'll likely work part time and fish!!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:13:10 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14864 on: February 22, 2024, 11:10:55 am »
Always fight them.

+1

Go get 'em, Ron.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14865 on: February 22, 2024, 11:13:20 am »
I know if I were pretty close to retirement and got sidelined from my career like that, my thoughts would go to working in some cottage industry where my passions like.  Go work part time at a bike shop or something similar.  Just enough to stay busy and pay for a new bike every couple of years. 

Seeing as you're into fishing, perhaps that's the industry where you should be looking...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14866 on: February 22, 2024, 11:15:58 am »
Just be careful with those promising the moon. In the end you may get a little more but the bulk goes to the person fighting for you. Lawyers don't lose.
Have done this once before with someone else in family.

Part of settlement was legal fees...Because had the offer been "reasonable" would not have had to retain legal.

Also, there are several provisions where you can get the payment TAX FREE. But generally need a tiny helping hand from a lawyer.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #14867 on: February 22, 2024, 11:23:45 am »
Sorry to hear. I'm sure with your skills you'll be back on your feet in no time.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: February 22, 2024, 11:23:54 am »
I know if I were pretty close to retirement and got sidelined from my career like that, my thoughts would go to working in some cottage industry where my passions like.  Go work part time at a bike shop or something similar.  Just enough to stay busy and pay for a new bike every couple of years. 

Seeing as you're into fishing, perhaps that's the industry where you should be looking...
Oh. Well I have news on that front. Sort of.

Did some fishing with some pros/part time pros this summer. On one occasion, I fished their pants off! Was immediately offered a full sponsorship for Bassmaster Kayak Series. I turned it down though. Too old for that!

Was offered to be on Pro-Staff for my old boat manufacturer. Could have got a new boat for that deal. But I recently bought my other boat, so that didn't seem fair since I'll be busy with new boat. Declined that one.

I DID accept a sponsorship from an American tackle company though. This was based largely on them seeing my OCD-level bait reviews online.

I have a few more irons in the fire as far as fishing goes..but certainly not enough to supplement income.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #14869 on: February 22, 2024, 11:24:55 am »

Part of settlement was legal fees...Because had the offer been "reasonable" would not have had to retain legal.

Also, there are several provisions where you can get the payment TAX FREE. But generally need a tiny helping hand from a lawyer.

Seams like you have all your stuff figured out. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14870 on: February 22, 2024, 11:26:21 am »
Sorry to hear. I'm sure with your skills you'll be back on your feet in no time.
Very true!

I could knock on 10 doors today and have offers from all of them.

It's one of the good things about this industry here. You'll always be able to find work. "Fired in the AM, hired in the PM".

Probably not too dissimilar to oil field jobs in AB.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:38:17 am by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: February 22, 2024, 11:27:12 am »

Seams like you have all your stuff figured out.
Yes.

This is why it's in the happy thread!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14872 on: February 22, 2024, 12:03:22 pm »
Congrats Ron, hope it went something like this.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJC0FLA3Sk&t=87s&ab_channel=Movieclips

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14873 on: February 22, 2024, 12:06:16 pm »

Congrats Ron, hope it went something like this.

That's next! LOL [emoji38]

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14874 on: February 22, 2024, 12:35:59 pm »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14875 on: February 22, 2024, 12:49:16 pm »
you call yourself (or did) GOAT at work?

One thing I have learned is that everyone's replaceable including myself multiple times. That being said 20 years? Yeah fight for more but be smart about it. Considering you will lose 50% in taxes of any increased settlement sometimes the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: February 22, 2024, 01:04:34 pm »

One thing I have learned is that everyone's replaceable including myself multiple times. That being said 20 years? Yeah fight for more but be smart about it. Considering you will lose 50% in taxes of any increased settlement sometimes the juice is not worth the squeeze.

No, I did not call myself that. My co workers/management did.

And you definitely don't lose 50 percent. Look up "Retiring (Retirement) Allowance".

Also, as mentioned, there's methods to get this tax free. Have used these provisions in the past.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: February 22, 2024, 01:38:51 pm »

No, I did not call myself that. My co workers/management did.

And you definitely don't lose 50 percent. Look up "Retiring (Retirement) Allowance".

Also, as mentioned, there's methods to get this tax free. Have used these provisions in the past.

You have retired before?

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #14878 on: February 22, 2024, 01:52:14 pm »

Oh. Well I have news on that front. Sort of.

Did some fishing with some pros/part time pros this summer. On one occasion, I fished their pants off! Was immediately offered a full sponsorship for Bassmaster Kayak Series. I turned it down though. Too old for that!

Was offered to be on Pro-Staff for my old boat manufacturer. Could have got a new boat for that deal. But I recently bought my other boat, so that didn't seem fair since I'll be busy with new boat. Declined that one.

I DID accept a sponsorship from an American tackle company though. This was based largely on them seeing my OCD-level bait reviews online.

I have a few more irons in the fire as far as fishing goes..but certainly not enough to supplement income.

Youtube fishing channel? less stress, chat about your passion, promote some product...etc.  You would be surprise how well it can go.   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: February 22, 2024, 02:30:49 pm »

You have retired before?

No. LOL [emoji38]

The Retirement Allowance isn't just for people retiring. People being let go from their jobs can be  taxed on the Retirement Allowance scheme.

The tax free provisions aren't just for people retiring, either.