Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2387803 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #14820 on: February 09, 2024, 05:32:42 pm »

Fairly sure Professional Knower-of-Everything isn't an actual occupation, though I'm sure it's one he'd be great at if it were!

Probably not.

I'm only spectacular at my current job. Everything else hit or miss. At best.

But I am flattered by your compliment. Very thoughtful of you to say.

Much appreciated!

I was definitely kidding, in case anyone thought I wasn't...  ;)
Wait...so it wasn't a real compliment? LOL [emoji38]

Now I'm sad!! LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14821 on: February 09, 2024, 08:59:39 pm »

She's more than a bit nervous about the "unknown" but she loves learning new things and new challenges so I'm sure she'll be happy when she gets settled in.

Congrats to her!  I hope it goes well and exceeds her expectations.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #14822 on: February 10, 2024, 07:57:58 am »
My wife is going to be leaving her employer of the past 18 years.  She has been with the university in the HR department since day one, worked her way up from assistant to manager.  The further up the ladder she got, the more she got to peak behind the curtain, and what she was seeing was not good.  She loves her crew of girls and the university community as a whole, but senior management is horrid and only getting worse.  She was kind of at the end of her mental rope and a change was necessary.  This was the first year that after our 3 weeks of Christmas vacation she didn't actually want to go back to work, and that was a big wake up call.  There was just a lack of respect, support, and resources, matched with higher expectations that was really putting the entire office in a bad place.  Then they decided to hire a new vice president that runs the office and it's already looking like a train wreck.  They are going to be f'd when she leaves, one of her employees has already stated that she'll be putting her notice in the same day.  But senior management won't care too much, they don't value HR, so it'll just continue to get worse.

So I pushed her to update her resume and start passing it out to people she knows in the industry.  She will be starting with Government at the beginning of March and I'm hoping that some much needed relief from the worst of the BS.  It's a step back in title but actually a step up in pay, not to mention there are a lot more opportunities for advancement within government that were not present at the university.  But it'll be a sad few weeks for her as she has a lot of friends and coworkers, and she still genuinely cared about the organization, which is also the reason why all the BS was bothering her so much.

On the plus side, she'll be going from making around $800 more per year than me to a solid $6K+ more, so that'll help with some future plans.  I'm just more excited to have a wife that isn't beat up after every work day and might have a bit more mental spirit left over for me. 

She's more than a bit nervous about the "unknown" but she loves learning new things and new challenges so I'm sure she'll be happy when she gets settled in.

Hope it works out well for her and she finds it a much better and rewarding work environment. It's an interesting move in some ways. I can certainly see how opportunities for advancement are better given the much larger organization.  However, at first glance I would  expect civil service and university administration management cultures to have have a lot in common. Hopefully that's just a misconception on my part.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 08:10:15 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14823 on: February 10, 2024, 10:55:42 am »

Congrats to her!  I hope it goes well and exceeds her expectations.
Considering what she is coming from, not a high bar to clear.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14824 on: February 10, 2024, 11:01:39 am »
My wife is going to be leaving her employer of the past 18 years.  She has been with the university in the HR department since day one, worked her way up from assistant to manager.  The further up the ladder she got, the more she got to peak behind the curtain, and what she was seeing was not good.  She loves her crew of girls and the university community as a whole, but senior management is horrid and only getting worse.  She was kind of at the end of her mental rope and a change was necessary.  This was the first year that after our 3 weeks of Christmas vacation she didn't actually want to go back to work, and that was a big wake up call.  There was just a lack of respect, support, and resources, matched with higher expectations that was really putting the entire office in a bad place.  Then they decided to hire a new vice president that runs the office and it's already looking like a train wreck.  They are going to be f'd when she leaves, one of her employees has already stated that she'll be putting her notice in the same day.  But senior management won't care too much, they don't value HR, so it'll just continue to get worse.

So I pushed her to update her resume and start passing it out to people she knows in the industry.  She will be starting with Government at the beginning of March and I'm hoping that some much needed relief from the worst of the BS.  It's a step back in title but actually a step up in pay, not to mention there are a lot more opportunities for advancement within government that were not present at the university.  But it'll be a sad few weeks for her as she has a lot of friends and coworkers, and she still genuinely cared about the organization, which is also the reason why all the BS was bothering her so much.

On the plus side, she'll be going from making around $800 more per year than me to a solid $6K+ more, so that'll help with some future plans.  I'm just more excited to have a wife that isn't beat up after every work day and might have a bit more mental spirit left over for me. 

Hope it works out well for her and she finds it a much better and rewarding work environment. It's an interesting move in some ways. I can certainly see how opportunities for advancement are better given the much larger organization.  However, at first glance I would  expect civil service and university administration management cultures to have have a lot in common. Hopefully that's just a misconception on my part.
Actually, it can be quite different.  GNB is a lot further ahead in how they use their HR people.  In the university setting in Canada it’s typically senior management don’t follow rules unless it benefits them, but at GNB they let HR take point on those matters as they understand you need to trust your professionals.  In either case there are always politics.  We aren’t expecting all the BS to be gone, just the worst of it hopefully.  Plus she has dealt with an office that doesn’t have air conditioning and dealing with 30+ degree office for numerous days every summer and now she’ll be wearing sweaters due to how cold GNB keep their offices in the summer.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14825 on: February 10, 2024, 11:04:21 am »
Noticed the TV we bought a couple of weeks ago from Costco was on sale and got refunded $57.50.  Got to love their customer service.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14826 on: February 10, 2024, 04:51:09 pm »

That's terrific! Great news for you both. Congrats to her for taking the leap!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14827 on: February 10, 2024, 05:28:13 pm »
That's great to hear Johnny, it takes a lot of strength to up and leave a long term role like that so kudos to her for that.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14828 on: February 10, 2024, 09:03:04 pm »
Thanks guys, and I certainly was instrumental in her decision making.  Had to convince her for once in her life do what’s best for her.

Online TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #14829 on: February 11, 2024, 11:30:39 am »
Really respect what she's doing. Good on you for being supportive as you are!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #14830 on: February 13, 2024, 05:39:00 pm »
Plates to be automatically renewed in Ontario

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7113396

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14831 on: February 14, 2024, 12:35:49 am »
Alberta went tagless a few years back although that isn't auto renew. What I am wondering is if I can now trim the lower 25% of my bike plate off since that was where the tags went?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14832 on: February 14, 2024, 09:20:22 am »
Kittens.  Kittens make me happy.  A pair of rescues have joined the family.  Freya (calico) and Sybil (tabby).  It's been over a decade since we last had a kitten - I had forgotten how much energy they have!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14833 on: February 14, 2024, 09:50:14 am »
Cute!  :D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14834 on: February 14, 2024, 09:54:21 am »
Very cute! We picked up a couple of tabbies in August, two brothers. Fizz and Spritz. This is from shortly after we got them.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14835 on: February 14, 2024, 09:57:08 am »
^^^ Adorable!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14836 on: February 14, 2024, 09:57:26 am »
Kittens.  Kittens make me happy.  A pair of rescues have joined the family.  Freya (calico) and Sybil (tabby).  It's been over a decade since we last had a kitten - I had forgotten how much energy they have!

Cute

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14837 on: February 14, 2024, 12:30:36 pm »
Kingston Kia won't stop spamming me, I went there for an alignment two years ago.   I asked them to stop several times, no reply.
Today I got another text from them wanting me to bring in my non-existent Kia for service.....so I signed up their email and phone numbers with Scientology, they'll be in contact.
Mr Pickypants

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #14838 on: February 14, 2024, 12:47:55 pm »
:rofl2: :rofl2:
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #14839 on: February 14, 2024, 02:02:14 pm »
 :bow: