Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2388012 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #14660 on: November 08, 2023, 07:33:50 am »
That's really, really cool, and one heck of a bucketlist trip.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #14661 on: November 08, 2023, 07:38:25 am »
very cool  :thumbup:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14662 on: November 08, 2023, 09:04:25 am »
W o W!  :o
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14663 on: November 08, 2023, 09:09:46 am »
Wow! Not something that I am likely to do, but that's a cool experience for sure.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #14664 on: November 08, 2023, 09:11:42 am »
WOW!!! Can't imagine that altitude! Last year in Utah at 11,500 skiing was thin enough for me :rofl:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #14665 on: November 08, 2023, 09:20:16 am »
Just talked to her on the phone. She's at the Kathmandu Marriott....enjoying a heated room with ensuite bath featuring actual hot water......from an actual shower head.  She says she has new appreciation for everyday things. Apparently a large pizza and 12 hours of sleep are next on the agenda  ;D

I still can't get over that photo. If I didn't know better I'd think it was photoshopped. I guess the summit of Kala Pathar is at just the right angle and elevation to get that effect from the light as the sun sets.

https://atoptics.co.uk/blog/everest-alpenglow/
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14666 on: November 08, 2023, 09:22:49 am »
WOW!!! Can't imagine that altitude! Last year in Utah at 11,500 skiing was thin enough for me :rofl:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Imagine the people who climbed Everest without oxygen......11,000 higher again  :o

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14667 on: November 08, 2023, 09:34:15 am »
sailor723, awesome photos and glad your daughter had a great experience!

My kids are really taking to hockey, they ask every morning if there's any ice time on the schedule that day.  My 7 yo son has two weekend practices, then they play 4 weekend tournaments throughout the year, all local.  Plus the occasional short-notice exhibition game.  My 11 yo daughter has a more intensive schedule....2 practices plus 1-2 games a week, plus one "hockey academy" session outside of her team commitments.  Anyway, given it's their first time playing, the day-to-day improvement they are making is remarkable, and really boosting their confidence.  It's a little intense on my schedule, but as long as they are loving it, I will keep prioritizing it...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14668 on: November 08, 2023, 09:39:22 am »
#2 daughter safely back in Kathmandu after making it to Everest base camp. Several in her party (her included) had mild altitude sickness symptoms  (headache, cough etc) the last two days  but OK again quickly at lower altitude. One person got sick enough they had to be medevac'd out by helicopter.  I guess the trek isn't just a walk in the foothills. ;D

The picture is sunset reflecting off Everest...taken from the top of Kala Pathar (18,200 feet) last night. She was lucky that they were just above the clouds and got the view.

Amazing!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14669 on: November 08, 2023, 09:49:32 am »
Imagine the people who climbed Everest without oxygen......11,000 higher again  :o

Or how about Göran Kropp who rode his bike there, climbed Everest, and then rode home!  He has a book about it which is a great read.

For his 1996 ascent, Kropp left Stockholm on 16 October 1995, on a specially-designed bicycle with 108 kilograms (238 lb) of gear and food. He traveled 13,000 kilometres (8,000 mi) on the bicycle and arrived at Everest Base Camp in April 1996. Following a meeting of all of the Everest expeditions on the mountain at the time, it was agreed that Kropp would attempt to summit first. On 3 May, Kropp climbed through thigh-deep snow and reached Everest's South Summit, a point 100 metres (328 ft) from the summit. However, he decided to turn around because it was too late in the day and if he continued, he would be descending in the dark. While Kropp recovered from the ordeal at base camp, the 1996 Everest Disaster unfolded. He helped bring medicine up the mountain. Three weeks later, on 23 May, he again tackled the mountain, this time successfully summitting without extra oxygen support. He then cycled part of the way back home.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14670 on: November 08, 2023, 09:51:53 am »
#2 daughter safely back in Kathmandu after making it to Everest base camp.

Great photo!  My uncle did this trip and couldn't stop talking about it, still does many years (decades?) later. He couldn't say enough good things about the people and beauty of the mountains. I've debated doing this many times, not sure what is stopping me.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14671 on: November 08, 2023, 09:59:02 am »

My kids are really taking to hockey, they ask every morning if there's any ice time on the schedule that day.  My 7 yo son has two weekend practices, then they play 4 weekend tournaments throughout the year, all local.  Plus the occasional short-notice exhibition game.  My 11 yo daughter has a more intensive schedule....2 practices plus 1-2 games a week, plus one "hockey academy" session outside of her team commitments.  Anyway, given it's their first time playing, the day-to-day improvement they are making is remarkable, and really boosting their confidence.  It's a little intense on my schedule, but as long as they are loving it, I will keep prioritizing it...

Haha, see you in 12 years. Enjoy the rink!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: November 08, 2023, 10:04:29 am »

That's some nice dedication to the cause!

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14673 on: November 08, 2023, 10:19:31 am »
Just talked to her on the phone. She's at the Kathmandu Marriott....enjoying a heated room with ensuite bath featuring actual hot water......from an actual shower head.  She says she has new appreciation for everyday things. Apparently a large pizza and 12 hours of sleep are next on the agenda  ;D

:D Great to hear!

Was that an organized trip or did she just wing it? Was she on any altitude meds? That's a long way up, wow

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14674 on: November 08, 2023, 10:30:34 am »
If you can keep your guts in order (lots of gastrointestinal boogeymen) then the trip is awesome. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: November 08, 2023, 10:52:45 am »
If you can keep your guts in order (lots of gastrointestinal boogeymen) then the trip is awesome.

She says the big thing is to go vegetarian once you leave Kathmandu. Meat can be sketchy as you get further from civilization as it all has to be carried up the trail.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: November 08, 2023, 10:56:18 am »

Was that an organized trip or did she just wing it? Was she on any altitude meds? That's a long way up, wow

Organized all inclusive. Company is run by Nepalese many of whom have summited multiple 8000m+ peaks

https://highlandexpeditions.com/package/luxury-everest-base-camp-trek/

She said the helicopter back to Kathmandu was the best money she's ever spent.  ;D

Also, once you leave Kathmandu "luxury" is a relative term. ;D

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350, 2024 Mazda CX90
« Reply #14677 on: November 08, 2023, 11:50:14 am »
#2 daughter safely back in Kathmandu after making it to Everest base camp. Several in her party (her included) had mild altitude sickness symptoms  (headache, cough etc) the last two days  but OK again quickly at lower altitude. One person got sick enough they had to be medevac'd out by helicopter.  I guess the trek isn't just a walk in the foothills. ;D

The picture is sunset reflecting off Everest...taken from the top of Kala Pathar (18,200 feet) last night. She was lucky that they were just above the clouds and got the view.

Beautiful picture! Glad she's enjoying the trip.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14678 on: November 08, 2023, 11:59:22 am »

Organized all inclusive. Company is run by Nepalese many of whom have summited multiple 8000m+ peaks

She said the helicopter back to Kathmandu was the best money she's ever spent.  ;D

That looks like a good outfit, local and seems well organized. Especially important as altitude sickness is so unpredictable

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: November 08, 2023, 01:09:42 pm »

That looks like a good outfit, local and seems well organized. Especially important as altitude sickness is so unpredictable

Yes, really professional outfit.. The person who got so ill really wanted to continue so they hired them a horse and had oxygen on them to see if they would improve but they continued to deteriorate and by lunchtime  it was decided they would have to be flown out.

My daughter got involved a bit in helping with treatment/taking vitals etc and with the evacuation decision as she is an RN.  She had Ventolin with her and Diamox.. My daughter was on Diamox from the start prophylactically as were most in her party. Turns out the evac was the right decision as the person had developed clots in both lungs and while OK now can't be cleared to fly out of Nepal for 10 days.