Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2388053 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #14640 on: October 27, 2023, 06:21:01 pm »
On my 50th birthday, I wanted to get myself something "nice", a big splurge (I never splurge on myself).

So I ordered a bespoke piece of clothing...my first and likely last.

It's been nearly 2 years...and I got my shipping confirmation today.

Pretty stoked to finally receive this.

Since I've ordered, I've lost 60+ pounds....so I'm hoping the fit will work.

If you think the fit will still work after dropping 60lbs, must be a pair of shoes... or a hat.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14641 on: October 27, 2023, 07:31:48 pm »
On my 50th birthday, I wanted to get myself something "nice", a big splurge (I never splurge on myself).

So I ordered a bespoke piece of clothing...my first and likely last.

It's been nearly 2 years...and I got my shipping confirmation today.

Pretty stoked to finally receive this.

Since I've ordered, I've lost 60+ pounds....so I'm hoping the fit will work.

If you think the fit will still work after dropping 60lbs, must be a pair of shoes... or a hat.

or assless chaps.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: October 27, 2023, 08:12:35 pm »
It's essentially a hoodie. I wear a fleece pullover 90 percent of the time when I need a jacket. Winter too (unless I'm doing some long outdoor activity, then it's full winter coat). My current fleece one is 20 years old and starting to look threadbare.  Image below.

I prefer a roomy fit for pullovers. I was in between their M and L basic sizing..so I went L. It will be a bit roomier now with my gut gone.

But no worries..if it doesn't fit they'll do one that will fit. They guarantee your satisfaction.

Process was fun and they kept me in loop the whole time. Apparently there's one producer in US for their wool spec and only one textile facility they use for their high quality needs. Waiting on sheep, waiting on small scale textile factory is a long, slow process.

Fun fact: for any raw wool they buy, 30 percent of the wool weight is not wool. It's leaves, dirt, rock and other debris that gets lodged into the wool as the sheep does sheep things.

Anyways, here's a video of the item. I am part of the very first group of people to get the natural wool color..kinda creme. This is a brand new color for them.

https://youtu.be/LKJJoPZnhvc?feature=shared

« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 08:29:41 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: October 27, 2023, 10:10:01 pm »
Hmm I would have thought chaps. Anyhow is it better than merino?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: October 27, 2023, 10:39:57 pm »
Hmm I would have thought chaps. Anyhow is it better than merino?
1) of course I already have the chaps! LOL [emoji38]

2) superior to merino. All explained in video.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: October 28, 2023, 12:06:46 am »
It's a fancy merino. will admit quit watching after that.
\

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #14646 on: October 28, 2023, 02:13:13 pm »
Youngest is off Friday on a bucket list trip to Nepal (trekking to Everest base camp)
Mrs Sailor would put this under things that upset me thread as she is going to worry her all the way there and back.

My sister and her husband did that a few years ago and loved it. I did the Annapurna one back in the 90's and felt the same. Nepali's are great and the mountains are out of this world

Annapurna would be my choice. The Evereest area has changed dramatically in the last 30 years. I think there is a Holiday Inn Express now.  ;D

She is connecting in Doha right now (flying Qatar).  Says the Qatar Al Maha lounge makes Air Canada's MapleLeaf lounge look like a rundown Dennys.  ;D   (and Al Maha isn't even the fancy one)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: October 28, 2023, 03:36:30 pm »
Youngest is off Friday on a bucket list trip to Nepal (trekking to Everest base camp)
Mrs Sailor would put this under things that upset me thread as she is going to worry her all the way there and back.

My sister and her husband did that a few years ago and loved it. I did the Annapurna one back in the 90's and felt the same. Nepali's are great and the mountains are out of this world

Annapurna would be my choice. The Evereest area has changed dramatically in the last 30 years. I think there is a Holiday Inn Express now.  ;D

She is connecting in Doha right now (flying Qatar).  Says the Qatar Al Maha lounge makes Air Canada's MapleLeaf lounge look like a rundown Dennys.  ;D   (and Al Maha isn't even the fancy one)

It's amazing what can be achieved with slave labour.

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #14648 on: October 28, 2023, 05:36:21 pm »

I am part of the very first group of people to get the natural wool color..kinda creme. This is a brand new color for them.

https://youtu.be/LKJJoPZnhvc?feature=shared

Natural? There seems to be a black sheep in there

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #14649 on: November 02, 2023, 09:38:38 am »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14650 on: November 02, 2023, 11:41:37 am »
Speaking of strikes, we have accepted our company's latest offer and return to work on Friday after striking for nine weeks.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14651 on: November 02, 2023, 11:50:56 am »
Speaking of strikes, we have accepted our company's latest offer and return to work on Friday after striking for nine weeks.

Finally!

Maybe I can get my car fixed now, from the hail damage almost three months ago.

The cracks in my windshield have grown alarmingly since the weather got cold - one of them goes almost the entire way from the bottom of windshield up to the top.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 11:52:44 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14652 on: November 02, 2023, 11:54:45 am »

Finally!

The cracks in my windshield have grown alarmingly since the weather got cold - one of them goes almost the entire way from the bottom of windshield up to the top.

Were the body shops on strike?? I'm confused.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: November 02, 2023, 12:05:13 pm »

Finally!

Were the body shops on strike?? I'm confused.

No, they were not, and I called around.  BUT None of them were willing to touch my car before it had been appraised by MPI, unless I paid out of pocket.  It needs to be appraised by MPI first, THEN go to a bodyshop to get fixed.

There IS a mechanism where body shops can do appraisals/adjustments themselves, but it's only for collision damage.  Hail damaged vehicles HAVE to go through an MPI claim center prior to going to a body shop.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14654 on: November 02, 2023, 12:06:20 pm »
Oh right, I forgot about your provincial insurance thing

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14655 on: November 02, 2023, 12:20:27 pm »

Finally!

My apologies for the delay and I hope you can get an estimate soon.  I would imagine we'll be trying to catch up as quickly as we can.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14656 on: November 02, 2023, 12:27:48 pm »
Well, that worked out, strike ending when the weather turns to crap  :D 

It's like the last time I was laid off happened to be the beginning of an April, not the worst timing

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14657 on: November 02, 2023, 01:06:46 pm »

Finally!

My apologies for the delay and I hope you can get an estimate soon.  I would imagine we'll be trying to catch up as quickly as we can.

It's not on you to apologize.  I'm not actually sure who I'm mad at, just mad that it took so long, and service suffered. 

This strike always struck me as a weird one - the way I see it, when employees go on strike, the 'company' usually gets hurt.  The Business isn't able to manufacture their widget, so they have to stop sales, and eventually their bottom line starts to hurt, motivating them to come to a deal with their employees. 

BUT, with MPI, it didn't really happen that way, did it?  As a customer, I couldn't very well stop paying my insurance premiums, so MPI's bottom line likely didn't take a hit.  If anything, they saved a BUNCH of money by not paying their employee's salaries for close to a quarter of the year.  And as a consumer, I had zero recourse for action, aside from complaining to my MLA.

And I had a hard time not feeling bad for the employees, especially the longer it dragged on, as you guys weren't getting paid.  I"m sure the strike pay did an inadequate job of making up for your usual take-home.  There must have been a TON of people who suffered hardship over the past few months. 

So, the customers suffer, the employees suffer.  It was a silly strike.  I've always been 'on board' with our public insurance, but this strike has pretty much changed my mind.  If we had a private insurance system, at least there would be competition and alternative options, and it would have put more pressure on the company on strike, as their customers could have voiced their displeasure by going with another insurance company.

Anyway, I'm happy it's over and you guys are finally back to work. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 08:39:35 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14658 on: November 02, 2023, 03:08:54 pm »
How much were the increases?  Weather gets really cold strike ends.   :rofl2:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #14659 on: November 08, 2023, 06:37:54 am »
#2 daughter safely back in Kathmandu after making it to Everest base camp. Several in her party (her included) had mild altitude sickness symptoms  (headache, cough etc) the last two days  but OK again quickly at lower altitude. One person got sick enough they had to be medevac'd out by helicopter.  I guess the trek isn't just a walk in the foothills. ;D

The picture is sunset reflecting off Everest...taken from the top of Kala Pathar (18,200 feet) last night. She was lucky that they were just above the clouds and got the view.