Author Topic: Backup Cameras To Be Mandated Starting In 2018  (Read 12543 times)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Re: Backup Cameras To Be Mandated Starting In 2018
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 02:41:34 pm »
my next truck will have one, but only for hitching up to the trailer.

that's why I want one!!!
no real need for it otherwise

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »
This is how I back a car up.  Works well.  Can see everything and no squashed kiddies on my 30+ year driving record.

I'm not looking at the dash when I back up the car, so what good does it do to have a camera display there?

Ive been driving for about 1/2 that time and I have yet to remove grandma from under my rear axle, looking through the back window works well...also knowing your surroundings helps. Like I said, my next truck will have one, but only for hitching up to the trailer.

No question that the backup cameras will be misused by 95% of new car owners after 2018, but the 'idea' is to check the camera before you back up, then back up like you do, looking rear-ward, and then when you are 'close' to the back of your spot (assuming backing into a spot), then you can watch the camera for 'precision' parking.

'idea'.

Exactly!  This is how I use my camera.  I'm all for these.  Also as someone else mentioned auto headlights HAVE to be mandated OR make it illegal for manufacturers to stick in dashes that glow all the time.  This was never an issue back in the day when you couldn't see your speedo at night unless you turned your lights on.

Offline RaHorakhty

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Matrix
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 04:43:26 pm »
This is so stupid. My future chances of buying a car without those useless, completely distracting touchscreens that make it impossible to use the radio while driving will be gone. I'll have to stock up on basic aftermarket decks now and install them into all my future car purchases.  :)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 04:56:11 pm »
This is how I back a car up.  Works well.  Can see everything and no squashed kiddies on my 30+ year driving record.

I'm not looking at the dash when I back up the car, so what good does it do to have a camera display there?

I don't do that because I lose coverage, especially on the left. I back up only using mirrors and can quickly glance between all three and in the best driving position.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:57:43 pm by Snowman »

Offline 753951

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 05:01:39 pm »
Also as someone else mentioned auto headlights HAVE to be mandated OR make it illegal for manufacturers to stick in dashes that glow all the time.  This was never an issue back in the day when you couldn't see your speedo at night unless you turned your lights on.

Like someone who doesn't bother to turn lights on checks their speedo.  :o
As long as their iPhone glows in the dark they are OK.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 06:11:36 pm »

I don't do that because I lose coverage, especially on the left. I back up only using mirrors and can quickly glance between all three and in the best driving position.

Not to mention, what do you do with all these modern CUVs that have high/rising beltlines towards the back creating large backup blind-spots and the rear windows is tiny???

I can backup with ease in my Protege, but I am 4 times more careful driving my wife's Rogue because of the blind spots and visibility issues.  A backup camera certainly would facilitate backing up, but I'd still be super careful, checking the mirrors for cross traffic, etc, while using the camera to check for up close obstacles.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 06:32:01 pm »

Ive been driving for about 1/2 that time and I have yet to remove grandma from under my rear axle, looking through the back window works well...also knowing your surroundings helps. Like I said, my next truck will have one, but only for hitching up to the trailer.

No question that the backup cameras will be misused by 95% of new car owners after 2018, but the 'idea' is to check the camera before you back up, then back up like you do, looking rear-ward, and then when you are 'close' to the back of your spot (assuming backing into a spot), then you can watch the camera for 'precision' parking.

'idea'.

Exactly!  This is how I use my camera.  I'm all for these.  Also as someone else mentioned auto headlights HAVE to be mandated OR make it illegal for manufacturers to stick in dashes that glow all the time.  This was never an issue back in the day when you couldn't see your speedo at night unless you turned your lights on.

Making it illegal for manufacturers makes it sound like its their fault some people are clueless.   Why not crack down on the bad drivers instead?   If someone can't handle a simple task then maybe they shouldn't have a drivers license. 

There's always transit. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 06:40:27 pm »

Not to mention, what do you do with all these modern CUVs that have high/rising beltlines towards the back creating large backup blind-spots and the rear windows is tiny???

I can backup with ease in my Protege, but I am 4 times more careful driving my wife's Rogue because of the blind spots and visibility issues.  A backup camera certainly would facilitate backing up, but I'd still be super careful, checking the mirrors for cross traffic, etc, while using the camera to check for up close obstacles.

I agree with both of these comments.  My truck has a cap so looking around is useless and if my wife's car had the optional spoiler like most had at the time, it would have cut the rearward visibility in half.  We had to wait a few weeks to get a loaded model without the spoiler.  Most CUV/SUVs have poor visibility these days and some of the alert sensors are hyper-sensitive.  My wife's car screams bloody murder every time it gets backed out of the garage ffs, so mirrors are the only truly reliable source and the camera is very handy too if used properly.  I would love to have one on the truck as I haul trailers quite regularly and hooking up is a PIA without a camera especially in sh!tty weather.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 07:33:48 pm »
My CX-5 has horrible rear visibility out the back.
It's a godsend for the rear-view camera and I admit I use it quite liberally ie parking.

But saying that I could probably live without it using the side mirrors. How else do people backup cube-vans or pickups with cabs?
Don't look now but some people (Tesla) want to get rid of side mirrors
http://m.autoblog.com/2014/04/01/tesla-behind-lobbying-push-ditching-side-mirrors/?post=2&icid=autoblog_river_article

Also one more thing of note my CX-5 camera seems to have two settings for ambience. One for daylight and one for dark. I manually turn off the exterior lights which dims the rear-view camera so I can see back.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 08:47:58 pm »
I think people need to stop buying cars with poor visibility.  Car makers will build whatever sells and as long as people keep picking form over function that's what you will get. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 08:50:43 pm »
FFS...Go ask a professional truck driver or heavy equipment operator how they back up. Mirrors, its not that difficult.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 11:50:46 pm »
Yesterday I backed into a parking spot with someone's new Acura RDX.  It has a rear view camera which displays on the dash.  Having gotten used to using the audio-only backup sensors on my Escape, I became quite aware of a problem with the camera when I (very slowly) backed into something.  No damage, fortunately.

You can't just look only at the screen. While you're looking down at the screen, you have no idea what else is going on.  At some point you have to check forward to see if you're far enough back into the slot, if you're straight, and for "front end swing".  The last time I checked the screen, it showed what looked like 6 feet yet to back up, and the various lines overlaid on the screen seemed to confirm this. So I looked forward to check the other parameters. By the time I'd finished checking forward, I'd bumped something behind.  Surprise.  Oops.

So part of it is a matter of getting used to what the rear view actually means (and the RDX actually has three different rear views you can choose from). But it still won't protect you from front end swing problems.  An audio system on the other hand, does not interfere with your visual checking.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Backup Cameras To Be Mandated Starting In 2018
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 12:23:11 am »
Yesterday I backed into a parking spot with someone's new Acura RDX.  It has a rear view camera which displays on the dash.  Having gotten used to using the audio-only backup sensors on my Escape, I became quite aware of a problem with the camera when I (very slowly) backed into something.  No damage, fortunately.

You can't just look only at the screen. While you're looking down at the screen, you have no idea what else is going on.  At some point you have to check forward to see if you're far enough back into the slot, if you're straight, and for "front end swing".  The last time I checked the screen, it showed what looked like 6 feet yet to back up, and the various lines overlaid on the screen seemed to confirm this. So I looked forward to check the other parameters. By the time I'd finished checking forward, I'd bumped something behind.  Surprise.  Oops.

So part of it is a matter of getting used to what the rear view actually means (and the RDX actually has three different rear views you can choose from). But it still won't protect you from front end swing problems.  An audio system on the other hand, does not interfere with your visual checking.

The manual defines the meaning of the lines and distances....

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 12:26:32 am »
FFS...Go ask a professional truck driver or heavy equipment operator how they back up. Mirrors, its not that difficult.

^  This.  I have used mirrors all my life for backing up, no issues.  I have done a lot a backing on narrow logging roads in all sorts of vehicles and was taught proper use of mirrors at an early age (12 1/2 years).

I also agree that form is trumping function in vehicle design, what with high belt lines and small mirrors.  None of this helps in backing up safely, nor, in my opinion, will adding another nanny aid.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 12:35:37 am »

Yeah, but that takes skill and practice, the vast majority of the drivers on the road have neither.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 06:19:10 am »

Yeah, but that takes skill and practice, the vast majority of the drivers on the road have neither.

If you can parallel park then backing straight into a parking spot should be easy.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 07:49:57 am »

If you can parallel park then backing straight into a parking spot should be easy.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 08:33:16 am »

Agreed.

while we don't have our RAV 4 anymore.   It took me only a good couple weeks to get a real feel of space and distance when backing up.   The rear spare really cut visibility.  The only good way to park was using all 3 mirrors and learning the "distance" the mirrors provide. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:22 am »

You also have to remember that for the most part, truck drivers are not backing up in places such as malls, residential areas, etc where there are small children playing.  In those instances, they usually have another person to guide them...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 11:23:26 am »

You also have to remember that for the most part, truck drivers are not backing up in places such as malls, residential areas, etc where there are small children playing.  In those instances, they usually have another person to guide them...

maybe for the most part, but they still need to make deliveries to the mall, grocery stores and all kinds of plazas which sometimes require serious heads up.   I can't tell you how many times I've seen trucks trying to back up while idiots walking or driving are not paying attention or just don't give the driver a chance to get in.