Author Topic: Backup Cameras To Be Mandated Starting In 2018  (Read 12555 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Backup Cameras To Be Mandated Starting In 2018
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:09:18 pm »

NHTSA will require all new cars in US be sold with backup cameras after four year delay

Read More...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: Backup Cameras To Be Mandated Starting In 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:24:34 pm »
They should add auto-headlamps to the list.  I can't remember it being so bad an issue as it is now.  Just last night during a freezing rain blizzard I saw quite a few late model cars driving around with DRLs only. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:51:13 pm »
Headlight washers and amber rear indicators would be on my list.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:33:04 pm »
Win!  ...and since Canada is just a territory of the US as far as auto manufacturers are concerned, win for Canada too (hopefully).

Shame it's not retroactive - I wish all vehicles, not just all 'new' vehicles would have to have them.  At this rate, 'all cars/trucks' means it won't be realized until sometime in the 2030s.

I wonder if there's going to be any sort of standard, though...will economy cars now put the viewing screen into the rear-view mirrors?  ...or will all cars now get some sort of mini screen placed somewhere awkwardly on the dashboard?  Does this now mean that all cars will have some sort of touch screen?

Hmmm!

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:50:23 pm »
While I'm all for safety (sort of), I do feel for people who have to stretch ever higher just to afford a base model new car.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:57:39 pm »
While I'm all for safety (sort of), I do feel for people who have to stretch ever higher just to afford a base model new car.

I think it'll be blunted by just a massive economy of scale on screens and cameras. Electronics keep getting cheaper, that is almost a universal law.

That said - I think mandatory aspherical blind spot mirrors are more important than mandatory reverse cameras.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:05:11 pm »
Here's an idea - make cars that you can see out the back of!

Rear visibility is definitely out of style... and I guess supersized cars (minivans and SUVs) don't help.

Does anyone know the reliability of all these electronics?  ::) ???

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »

I think it'll be blunted by just a massive economy of scale on screens and cameras. Electronics keep getting cheaper, that is almost a universal law.

That said - I think mandatory aspherical blind spot mirrors are more important than mandatory reverse cameras.

i think that's true.  look back at a base Civic or Corolla from 1980, 1990, 2000 - what it came with and the price.  I bet the price isn't that far off but you get a heck of a lot more car. 

It's just like new features in high end luxury cars, they eventually funnel down to more mainstream models.   As newer features get added / invented, other stuff gets "pushed down" into base models.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 03:18:49 pm »
Yeah, exactly. When I was looking at Vibes/Matrix's originally, side airbags/ABS/Stability control were $1000 options, each. Now a $10,000 Micra will have all those standard.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 03:19:19 pm »
Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? I mean it's a nice luxury feature to have but FFS these types of things have more to do with crappy drivers than anything missing in a car.

I agree with you.  Gimmicks will not solve the problem of bad drivers.  Now you will just get drivers who stare at the screen while they back out into traffic. 

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 03:41:19 pm »

I agree about the manufacturing costs...but that translates into margin opportunity for car makers so I'm not convinced the savings will be passed along to consumers.

Offline pickles

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 04:49:12 pm »
So when this mandatory equipment runs afoul when out of warranty will the government be responsible for the repair costs? The reason why I did not want a camera in my new subaru. I wanted less technology in the car which equals less to go wrong

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 04:59:35 pm »

Rear visibility is definitely out of style... and I guess supersized cars (minivans and SUVs) don't help.

I do  :(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 06:36:45 pm »
Can't wait until they mandate one of these :)

Built like a tank, rearward seating, extra rear-caterpillar-tread traction, complete audio-visual simulation... cool uniforms...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 11:56:46 am »
Seriously?  It's a camera.  It's not complex technology and unlikely to fail (unless it's built by Chrysler: http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/3116-backup-camera-stopped-working/).

In any event, if it's mandatory on vehicles, then if it malfunctions, it'll be the responsibility of the owner to fix it under penalty of fine - but I'd love to see roadside checks to ensure proper working of the camera.  That'd be hilarious!

...I agree that sonar or auto-braking would be better, but those are both more expensive options.  Hopefully this will turn out to be good for the auto-buying public and not an exercise in politics.

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 12:24:46 pm »
Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? I mean it's a nice luxury feature to have but FFS these types of things have more to do with crappy drivers than anything missing in a car.

I agree with you.  Gimmicks will not solve the problem of bad drivers.  Now you will just get drivers who stare at the screen while they back out into traffic.

+1
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 12:49:07 pm »

I do  :(

Only the Germans will somehow wire it in series with the transmission or engine :) Everyone else should be fine.

The gf is wanting me to add a backup camera to her CRV, after hearing a few examples of people nearly backing over toddlers. It would be a lot easier for a manufacturer to string the wiring in place during vehicle assembly then me after the fact. And so many touch screens are being added to vehicles anyway, it can't be much extra to add camera functionality.

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 01:33:13 pm »
This is how I back a car up.  Works well.  Can see everything and no squashed kiddies on my 30+ year driving record.

I'm not looking at the dash when I back up the car, so what good does it do to have a camera display there?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 01:35:53 pm »
This is how I back a car up.  Works well.  Can see everything and no squashed kiddies on my 30+ year driving record.

I'm not looking at the dash when I back up the car, so what good does it do to have a camera display there?

Ive been driving for about 1/2 that time and I have yet to remove grandma from under my rear axle, looking through the back window works well...also knowing your surroundings helps. Like I said, my next truck will have one, but only for hitching up to the trailer.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 01:38:14 pm »

Ive been driving for about 1/2 that time and I have yet to remove grandma from under my rear axle, looking through the back window works well...also knowing your surroundings helps. Like I said, my next truck will have one, but only for hitching up to the trailer.

No question that the backup cameras will be misused by 95% of new car owners after 2018, but the 'idea' is to check the camera before you back up, then back up like you do, looking rear-ward, and then when you are 'close' to the back of your spot (assuming backing into a spot), then you can watch the camera for 'precision' parking.

'idea'.