Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Mid-Size Sedans  (Read 63414 times)

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Mid-Size Sedans
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2014, 02:19:43 pm »
While I think the Mazda is nice, for families it has 2 glaring shortcomings. Smallest interior and smallest trunk.

while it may be one of the smaller interiors in the segment, the 6 is still entirely sufficient for my family, and with the way this entire segment has grown, these are plenty large for most families with anything but the lankiest teenagers. Some families just don't need Suburban levels of cargo and seating capacity.
That is good to here, what about trunk space and hauling luggage?

What about it?  Specs have already been posted in this thread?
Nothing like real life experience. Besides who asked you. What are you snowman's little brother?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2014, 02:34:58 pm »
While I think the Mazda is nice, for families it has 2 glaring shortcomings. Smallest interior and smallest trunk.

while it may be one of the smaller interiors in the segment, the 6 is still entirely sufficient for my family, and with the way this entire segment has grown, these are plenty large for most families with anything but the lankiest teenagers. Some families just don't need Suburban levels of cargo and seating capacity.

Amen to that.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »
Nothing like real life experience. Besides who asked you. What are you snowman's little brother?

There was very, very little between all these cars. The difference is really noticeable on paper only. You'll see the photos of the boots all in the galleries and in the article.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2014, 02:49:25 pm »
I agree about the size of these cars.  We used my W202 C-Class easily as a family car, and our current Corolla would handily serve our family if we didn't need to haul large loads of packs/etc.  All of them (including the 6) and plenty large enough to serve most "normal" families.

In the summer, unless we're headed to the mountains, we use the Corolla most of the time, even for long trips.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Comparison Test: 2014 Mid-Size Sedans
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2014, 02:58:49 pm »

There was very, very little between all these cars. The difference is really noticeable on paper only. You'll see the photos of the boots all in the galleries and in the article.
I will post some boots 😂

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2014, 03:49:29 pm »
The Klondikes are bigger than the Kodiaks but the Kodiaks have more useful space.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2014, 04:30:34 pm »

I doubt that Fixer read the article  :P

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »

If you need more trunk space and hauling luggage, you would upgrade to a Mazda6 wagon. :P

Oh wait...

:(

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2014, 04:46:59 pm »
Maybe JacobBlack meant the boot they showed in that one episode of the Simpsons when they went to Australia and Bart was being sentenced to a kick on the bottom with a boot.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2014, 05:44:15 pm »

I doubt that Fixer read the article  :P

Fixer, It's a forum, anyone can reply, even if you don't like the comment... As for real life experience...what do you think they did, the curling broom test?  Like that is accurate... or the golf bag test.... It was a short comparo.. If you want to really know how different there are, check a youtube video, or go to a dealer. 

Do you visit non GM dealers??

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2014, 06:08:23 pm »

If you need more trunk space and hauling luggage, you would upgrade to a Mazda6 wagon. :P

Oh wait...

:(
Actually had a Mazda 6 wagon with a manual.Loved it, awesome car.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2014, 06:20:29 pm »

Oh, you're the one person who bought one!
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2014, 07:47:19 pm »

Oh, you're the one person who bought one!

Funny guy.

I seem them pop up for sale every once in awhile. Sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. GS, GT, I-4, V6, a whole variety. If I were to go for one though, I'd take a V6 Sport (hatch), manual of course. There are 3 for sale in the Vancouver area.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:11 pm »
I've bought two used manual Mazda 6 wagons and my dad has one too. Very nice cars for the money IMO.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2014, 10:00:28 pm »
NoTo said:

" Same reason why the previous Lexus IS didn't, and why the new Lexus IS can - structural rigidity. To be cheaper, they use regular steel rather than more rigid stuff, so they need the space behind the rear seat to stiffen the chassis."

Good thing you're not a structural engineer! High strength steel is NO stiffer than regular steel - sorry to diappoint both you and the marketing departments of the car companies. Steel is steel, and its characteristic Young's modulus doesn't change, so stiffness doesn't either. It will bend more before it fails, and thus absorb more impact energy - that's why you find it in the crash structure.

Chassis rigidity is defined by geometric shape and amount of material, so increased chassis stiffness comes from better design shapes. That's the real truth and it's incontrovertible.

I've driven most of these cars in my own quest for a new car. My opinions are just that. The Optima is really not very good and not up to the rest. I agree it looks best, but I'm looking for a decent car, not the styling champ.

The Accord has a bobblehead ride, quite offputting on known good pavement. The quality of manufacture appears to me to be by far the best however, when you look at the oily bits, and how things are organized underhood. The manual is ace.

The Mazda6 is not made to the same quality as the Accord underhood. The manual transmission low gear is shared with the reverse gear shaft, and whirs like an old pickup truck. Ride is more level than the Accord until you hit a manhole cover, and it bangs very badly. Best driving position. Only fair visibility.

The Camry - I found the interior so bad I couldn't be bothered to test drive it. I'd never buy it anyway because of that, having to gaze at that mess each day.

The Fusion drives nicely, but under the gloss lurks too much weight and not particularly great assembly. The Accord eats it for lunch in that department. Extra weight causes poor fuel economy no matter what engine has to accelerate the mass. It is not a nimble vehicle.

The Altima seemed overly cushy to me and a bit lightweight so gave me pause on bad roads. Just didn't grab me. It is a car and that is all. Yawn.

The Malibu. Right.

None of these cars is particularly great, and none have what I'd call a good driving experience. They're all pretty blah and disappointing. My pal just leased a Mazda3 manual, and it drives far better than these galumphers. It's actually stimulating to boot around and for less than 20 grand plus freight a reasonable deal, keyless entry, HMI controller included. It just doesn't have any beans at all though.

I didn't think much of the CLA I drove either and the styling trumped visibility. Useless. I like VWs but 5 Audis in a row cured me of the delusion that VW/Audi makes anything you can rely on.

The worst new car I drove was the Subaru Legacy (if you don't count the clown Crossdreck). Subaru sure ruined my Legacy with this plastic crap. While I have felt better getting back in and driving my old Legacy GT after each and every car mentioned above, plus a BMW 320i and an X1, the current Legacy stands out as utter dross. Don't know where they lost the plot.

None of these cars has persuaded me to spend my money as yet. They're pretty anodyne driving experiences. And related CUVs are even worse.

Not one of these cars has any sense of presence except the Optima. And then you drive it. What a letdown.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2014, 10:28:13 pm »
Good thing you're not a structural engineer! High strength steel is NO stiffer than regular steel - sorry to diappoint both you and the marketing departments of the car companies. Steel is steel, and its characteristic Young's modulus doesn't change, so stiffness doesn't either. It will bend more before it fails, and thus absorb more impact energy - that's why you find it in the crash structure.

Chassis rigidity is defined by geometric shape and amount of material, so increased chassis stiffness comes from better design shapes. That's the real truth and it's incontrovertible.
good thing you are not a structural engineer.

the steel alloys being employed in numerous vehicles lately, in increasing amounts, is "stronger"...the "strength" of steel is usually referred to as "yield strength", which is often measured in MPa (or sometimes PSI)...it refers to how much force is required to cause its structural integrity to fail...it doesn't "bend more", it simply requires more force to cause it to fail.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2014, 10:51:57 pm »
NoTo said:

" Same reason why the previous Lexus IS didn't, and why the new Lexus IS can - structural rigidity. To be cheaper, they use regular steel rather than more rigid stuff, so they need the space behind the rear seat to stiffen the chassis."

As has been pointed out, you are simply wrong about high strength steel. Young's modulus does change for different steel alloys. The yield strength is where a material changes from elastic to plastic behaviour, ie the point at which it will no longer return to it's original shape. Kind of a critical thing in car design.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:23:06 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2014, 11:21:35 am »
Learners permit... The new Legacy is worse than your old 2008?  Worst car ever?  Seems a bit over the top....None of these are very good?  mid-size sedans today, have so many features, get great fuel economy, good handling, not sure what the heck your looking for...?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2014, 11:30:22 am »
Learners permit... The new Legacy is worse than your old 2008?  Worst car ever?  Seems a bit over the top....None of these are very good?  mid-size sedans today, have so many features, get great fuel economy, good handling, not sure what the heck your looking for...?

Agreed.  'None of these are cars are very good'... compared to what, exactly?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2014, 12:12:56 pm »
As has been pointed out, you are simply wrong about high strength steel. Young's modulus does change for different steel alloys. The yield strength is where a material changes from elastic to plastic behaviour, ie the point at which it will no longer return to it's original shape. Kind of a critical thing in car design.
who are you replying to?