Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Mid-Size Sedans  (Read 63427 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Mid-Size Sedans
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2014, 11:22:18 pm »
I don't think the winning factor was the availability of a manual transmission.  Just like a more powerful motor wasn't the one factor for any of the V6 cars not winning...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2014, 06:48:50 am »
this is an enthusiasts site, isnt that what we look for??

I'd say this is a car site with a lot of enthusiasts on it. Big difference. If the article was written for enthusiasts you would think there would be a lot of stats for each car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2014, 07:19:27 am »
Another win for the car that the decidedly sporty-biased writers love....but that the general mid-size car buying public have little interest in owning..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2014, 07:25:43 am »
If the Mazda was equipped,like the others, with an automatic tranny, would it have won????I'd wager, no...Thanks   Jack

From the article:

A rare beast indeed, but it was judged the best transmission of all by a wide margin. What can we say? We love us a good manual transmission. And it is good, helping the 6 score top marks in driving enjoyment without giving up much on ease of driving, where it remained mid-pack.

So, the manual contributed to its victory.  To what extent nobody knows but it's not unreasonable to think that it wouldn't have won.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2014, 08:03:32 am »
I don't think the winning factor was the availability of a manual transmission.  Just like a more powerful motor wasn't the one factor for any of the V6 cars not winning...

I agree.  Far too many other variables at play to lay the victory on the manual transmission only - or even primarily.  The cars were differently configured across the board because they are differently configured by the manufacturers.  Just look at the engines - normally aspirated 4, turbo 4, V6 - pretty big differences, I'd say. 

I don't see how the Mazda has an unfair advantage because of it's available manual transmission any more than it has an unfair disadvantage by virtue of not offering a powerful V6.  There's simply no unfairness at play.

And keep in mind that while a good manual can be a plus, a crappy manual can be a negative.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2014, 11:15:07 am »

I don't see how the Mazda has an unfair advantage because of it's available manual transmission any more than it has an unfair disadvantage by virtue of not offering a powerful V6.  There's simply no unfairness at play.

And keep in mind that while a good manual can be a plus, a crappy manual can be a negative.

That's right. Now, substitute the tested Accord V6 with a 6-speed Sport. Not only do you get arguably the best transmission out there but also a major price advantage. Would the 6 still take the cake? Doubt it.

And regarding your comment on turbo fuel savings. That's until the first turbo repair  ;D Sorry man, had to throw that in. And me personally, I will take a consistently predictable minor hit in gas costs over a  :stfu: smack on the head turbo repair bill.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2014, 11:16:43 am »
And regarding your comment on turbo fuel savings. That's until the first turbo repair  ;D Sorry man, had to throw that in. And me personally, I will take a consistently predictable minor hit in gas costs over a  :stfu: smack on the head turbo repair bill.
as i said before, unlikely going to be an issue...today's modern turbocharged engines in no way resemble the ones from the 80s that Mitsubishi dumped on the market.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2014, 11:19:43 am »

That's right. Now, substitute the tested Accord V6 with a 6-speed Sport. Not only do you get arguably the best transmission out there but also a major price advantage. Would the 6 still take the cake? Doubt it.

What price advantage? The auto is a no-cost on the Accord. It would have still been the same case.
That said, maybe a manual Accord would have won, but they didn't give us one. They gave us an Auto. If Mazda's PR people have played the game better, frankly, more power to them!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2014, 11:27:36 am »

What price advantage? The auto is a no-cost on the Accord. It would have still been the same case.
That said, maybe a manual Accord would have won, but they didn't give us one. They gave us an Auto. If Mazda's PR people have played the game better, frankly, more power to them!

Judging by the responses here it looks like the looks like move by Mazda did not work out like they planned. They might have fooled you guys  :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2014, 11:47:30 am »

Judging by the responses here it looks like the looks like move by Mazda did not work out like they planned. They might have fooled you guys  :)

They didnt fool anyone, they played it right. Send the right car and win....too bad the other manufacturers werent on the ball.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2014, 11:50:22 am »

They didnt fool anyone, they played it right. Send the right car and win....too bad the other manufacturers werent on the ball.

Yes.... but you can't BS the regular players  :) We seen through it right away.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2014, 11:52:27 am »

So if Camry didnt win the test is rigged..ok...gotcha.  :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2014, 11:58:34 am »
Ive re-read the test a few times and I dont see what your problems with it are, the best looking, best handling, best braking and most fun car of the group won the test...yeah, it had a manual, bonus, even with a slushbox hampering it I think it would have won.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2014, 11:59:13 am »
Last time we did this some of us posted our short cliff notes from the day on here.
These were mine:

Accord: The outside is as ugly as the interior is unwelcoming. Nothing makes me want to drive the Accord, except the V6 engine – which is a blast. None the less, it does some other important things quite well.

Altima: Everyone said it was rubbish, and then I heard it had a CVT , so I was not expecting big things. The Altima surprised me a lot. It was an enormous amount of fun to drive. Also, it had a heated steering wheel! Epic win.

Camry: Really Toyota? $34K and no automatic climate control? I thought you wanted to sell cars? The rest of the Camry was underwhelming, but kudos for putting a V6 in it.

Fusion: The Fusion feels more solid. Heavier to sit in and handle – in a good way. Not in a “big car”  way, in a “wow this is put together really nicely” kind of way. Even the rotary controls feel ultra-premium. And if you ignore the centre stack screen’s many issues and slowness, MyFord Touch works really well in the instrument cluster when controlled by steering-wheel controls. The Fusion was my pick of the bunch.

Malibu: It is a nice car – but it has some taste issues, and the handling on this one was woeful. I’m prepared to blame the tires, but the Malibu was looser than a 6 o’clock necktie. Have to give them credit for the middle-seat LATCH anchors in the back. Nobody else does that.

Mazda6: Pretty, manual, good infotainment system – but the more we get to know the Mazda6, the more things like the thin and tinny doors stick out and bug us.

Optima: The prettiest car in the bunch, with the nicest interior of the bunch, and also the most vague steering and underwhelming drive experience. The car is presented beautifully in every way, but lacks genuine substance.

Re the Accord:
The Accord lost massive points for a few reasons (in no particular order):
1. Looks - interior and exterior
2. The user-interface/radio etc is truly horrible.
3. No split-fold. These are family sedans. What if I want to take my kid and say a set of skis somewhere? Can't fold down the rear seat, hence can't take the kid. Ridiculous
4. Fuel economy - not bulk points, but enough.
5. Value - it was the second-most expensive thing on the test.

On most other things bar engine power and ease of driving, it was just above mid-pack.  It racked up very few individual wins.
I don't think a manual would have helped it. Sorry guys.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:58:54 pm by JacobBlack »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2014, 12:00:14 pm »

So if Camry didnt win the test is rigged..ok...gotcha.  :)

No, the Camry would have been third or forth on my list. Its in desperate need of updating.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2014, 12:06:22 pm »
Apples to Apples, lest see what Edmunds thinks:

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2013/comparison-test.html

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2014, 12:24:20 pm »
Now if you like driving simply for the sake of driving, the 2014 Mazda 6i Grand Touring is a standout choice. It's unquestionably the enthusiast choice here, and makes no bones about it with its aggressive 19-inch wheels and tires. This is the only one of the three that makes sweeper on-ramps worth attacking. It's the only one we'd hand wash just to fondle its fenders. But while its exterior is gorgeous, the interior is far less impressive.
^^^From that edmunds comparo

This sums it up for me as to why Mazda keeps winning awards, but sales are slow.

There are simply too few people out there who equate their commute with somewhere to enjoy spirited driving.  While the Mazda is very efficient and drivable, it falters in so many others ways - interior volumes, outward visibility, and aggressively-competitive pricing/option packages.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile