Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Mid-Size Sedans  (Read 63506 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: 2014 Mid-Size Sedans
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:30:28 am »

Autos.ca gathers a host of mid-size family sedans to find the best of the current crop.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Mid-Size Sedans
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:45:08 am »
A few thoughts....

1. When did mid size cars get to be full sized? These things are huge compared to a few years ago

2. What's with GM pricing lately? Seems like they are trying to put a "premium" price tag on a lot of their offerings lately. (or are they still playing their old game of having high sticker prices and routinely offering huge rebates?)

3. The Mazda may lead the field in the eyes of journalists (and probably many of the enthusiasts here) but in the only competition that matters (sales) it's hardly out in front.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 06:52:57 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:06:27 am »
Interesting, the Honda Accord is the best in this category IMO and with 28 years on Car and Drivers 10 best list others would agree. I think the Autos.ca testers did not fully remove their enthusiast hats and look from the perspective of what people really want in this segment.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:33:40 am »
This...

That’s despite the Fusion’s tiny 1.5L EcoBoost (that’s Ford-speak for “turbo”) four-cylinder, by far the smallest of this group. Despite the smaller engine, the 1.5L tied for the worst fuel economy of the day with the Kia Optima’s 2.0L turbo – size and economy are not always linked.

What a waste of time and money putting these wheezy under achieving and undersized 4 pots in a relatively large car.  Say what you want about the advancement and application of materials science and the like, but the proof of this flawed philosophy is in the lackluster real world mileage.  This new Fusion 1.5L actually get worse mileage than my 4 yr old V6 that has been flawless to date.  Looks like we'll be keeping ours for a while yet. 

The V6 Accord gets my vote out of this bunch.

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:06:01 am »
Interesting, the Honda Accord is the best in this category IMO and with 28 years on Car and Drivers 10 best list others would agree. I think the Autos.ca testers did not fully remove their enthusiast hats and look from the perspective of what people really want in this segment.
yeah well, Car & Driver are fixated with Honda's and BMW's.  The Accord's engine does beg the question though, why put small turbo 4's in cars if there are no benefits? At the end of the day it's no winner.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:49:06 am »
Subjectively speaking, of all the cars in this article, the one I've been seeing the most of lately is actually the Optima.  However, that doesn't actually mean all that much since I find this is a segment which is being pushed to the back-end of the public's buying mindset. 

The problem with the so-called mid-size market these days is its positioning in that dead zone between more compact offerings (Corolla, Mazda 3, Civic, Sentra, etc.) and the CUV segment that holds similarly-priced options like the CX-5, Rogue, CR-V, etc.   

Now if I had a family, I'd be looking at a bunch of sedans with limited utility (none of them are offered in wagon form), without AWD and with similar gas mileage as those aforementioned CUVs.  Take the CX-5 GT as an example, after taxes it comes to just $1000 more than a Mazda 6 GT with the 6's present discounts.  For many folks that have "driving fun" as a limited priority, the decision has become a no-brainer and the sales figures reflect that. 

Offline bensonc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Venza AWD
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:23:20 am »
I ask myself why we want high tech small turbo engine in daily drive which don't return much advantage of efficiency but trouble later...
oil leak from turbo, pcv related problems due to pressure, carbon deposit with direct injection..... and the observed fuel efficiency worse than the old tech 3.5 V6 as the toyota...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:36:45 am »
i find accord's understated classy look to be the best.   obviously jacob is blind.  ;) ;D

fusion and mazda tied for second.  fusion LOOKs so big though.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 09:37:03 am »
I like the fact that EPA numbers are quoted and not the Canadian fuel numbers  ;D

Looks like NRC listened and is changing the system starting with 2015 models. 

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 09:38:24 am »

If you go by sales McDonalds must be one of the finest dining experiences around.  I find following the masses is not the way to find the best.   

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:41:36 am »

If you go by sales McDonalds must be one of the finest dining experiences around.  I find following the masses is not the way to find the best.

depends on how you define "best".   McDonalds is obviously the best fast food franchise.  most widely known.  best selling.  most affordable. 

would i drive the mazda?  yeah, for sure if you give me one.
but would i buy it?    i would be awfully hard-pressed to write that check, knowing that accord is a better choice in the long run.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 09:45:53 am »

If I went by sales I would go with a Camry  :)

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 10:04:39 am »
Hopefully, this can finally put to rest the fallacy that small 4 cylinder turbos are the way to achieve to best of both worlds - fuel efficiency and power on demand (please don't look at the cars I currently own). A well designed V6 can do everything so much better than a turbo four - hp, smoothness, sound, less complex, longevity, no premium gas required, towing, etc. There may be some exceptions, but in the real world, I'll take a nice 3.5 litre (or 3.0 or 2.5) over a smaller four. I think the same holds true for boosted sixes vs v8s. That being said, however, I suspect I would not think twice about choosing the new mini (3 cylinder turbo) vs the old 1.6 four.  I think weight of the vehicle makes a huge difference, but is, of course, only one variable.

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 10:06:28 am »
A few thoughts....

1. When did mid size cars get to be full sized? These things are huge compared to a few years ago

Agreed - looked at the new Corolla when I was in for service last - was pleasantly surprised at the room in it. Seemed as big as our mid 90's camry

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 10:11:23 am »
Interesting review, I love the V6 mills, but aren't they about 10% of sales... Was it the object to get the highest trim possible?  And not the volume seller?  With these top of the line trims, that come with extra tech, are there some that perform better than the other (like lane departure warning, etc.)  I don't get Jacobs comment on the Accord either, have never considered an Accord ugly, and think this one of the best looking yet.  It is traditional Accord, conservative looking.  I am surprised that the Fusion and Accord positions aren't switched...

Main purpose of the turbos, it does good on paper with the EPA, which is what car manufacturers have to do to meet CAFE standards, in the real world, same or worse than a V6... I know I will be never getting a turbo, if I can help it...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 10:18:15 am »

depends on how you define "best".   McDonalds is obviously the best fast food franchise.  most widely known.  best selling.  most affordable. 

would i drive the mazda?  yeah, for sure if you give me one.
but would i buy it?    i would be awfully hard-pressed to write that check, knowing that accord is a better choice in the long run.

I don't understand that, you say depends on how you define best?  And then you say it is obviously the best fast food franchise? 

Just because it is the most selling, doesn't means it's the best fast food.  I rarely eat fast food, when on the 401 on Wednesday, had to stop.  Got a quarter pounder, without the plastic cheese, it came with no lettuce or tomato, girl said you have to get the BLT for that...WTF?  It was like $8 something too.   Not the story at Wendys, comes with real lettuce, not shredded, whole slices of onions, not pieces, tomato, and cheese. For around $7, cheaper, more things in it, and tasted better.  Now to flush all that fast food out, time for some lasagna.. ;)

Offline Steve C

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Mazda 3 Sport
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 10:22:59 am »
Aren't V6 models selling less  numbers than 4 cylinder versions due in part because of price? Most are offered in the upper trim levels, and not in a base model. Pretty much all V6 versions in this midsize class all start over $30,000. I don't believe that a V6, most of which have been around for a number of years cost that much vs a 4 cylinder to produce. Offer affordable V6 versions and they will sell. Funny how I can get a fullsize V8 truck with 4 wheel drive for the same or less as one of these FWD V6 sedans. How would an Accord LX or Sport do with a V6 option at a small premium?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:27:08 am by Steve C »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 10:23:58 am »
i find accord's understated classy look to be the best.   obviously jacob is blind.  ;) ;D

^^

I found this amusing:
“The engine doesn’t sound like the tiny mill that it is and the power is perfectly decent for this group.” I would think with exactly 100HP more in the Accord, it would totally smoke the Fusion. Clearly, the reviewers show their bias through choice of words.

At this stage in my life, I wouldn't even look at the Mazda because I want POWAAAA....
The 1.5Ecoboost would be out of the equasion for the same reason (and poor fuel economy).
Altima was a nice surprise. But the Accord seems like the front runner. I could live with the quirky dash layout.

Offline vickenp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: fit, civic si, protege 5
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:08 am »
for me.....the key pointers when its deciding time.....

how long will it last, and how much will I need to spend to keep it on the road.

with this in mind....I think the accord would be the winner....

with the idea of thinking about the best for RIGHT NOW.....yeah the 6....but long term wise....and what will hold its value....my hats to the accord

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 10:40:18 am »
for me.....the key pointers when its deciding time.....

how long will it last, and how much will I need to spend to keep it on the road.

with this in mind....I think the accord would be the winner....

with the idea of thinking about the best for RIGHT NOW.....yeah the 6....but long term wise....and what will hold its value....my hats to the accord

Depends on how long your talking, when I was selling my 2008 Mazda6 GS, and my friend was selling his 2007 Honda Accord SE, my car had a black book value around $500 more than his Accord, because I had the V6, and he had the 4 cylinder.. similar mileage.  While I agree the Accord has better resale value, we are not talking thousands of dollars difference, closer to hundreds of dollars difference, if you have the car for about 6 years or more.