Author Topic: Grand Wagoneer A "Priority" For Jeep  (Read 9138 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Grand Wagoneer A \
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 05:40:52 pm »
I honestly didn't know that there was a need for another 7 passenger SUV. Are people really buying these things?

Well they sure aren't building these things with the Canadian market in mind. Large SUVs like the Durango, Tahoe, Expedition, and the various luxury variants sell much better in the U.S. than here.

In the case of Jeep, this isn't strictly about offering a seven seater; it's about pushing further upmarket and capitalizing on the massive brand equity they have. I would assume that developing markets like Russia and China are also a factor.

That reference to overseas markets is probably a fair comment. I think they can market Jeep as "premium" overseas.

Jeep was the darling of the upscale suburb/country club/yacht club set in the 90's but that's long gone. 20 years ago our yacht club parking lot was full of JGC's on a race night. Today you'd be lucky to see 2 or 3.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 05:45:36 pm »
Jeep was the darling of the upscale suburb/country club/yacht club set in the 90's but that's long gone. 20 years ago our yacht club parking lot was full of JGC's on a race night. Today you'd be lucky to see 2 or 3.

There was also no Lexus RX, Mercedes ML/GL, BMW X5, Audi Q7, Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade, etc.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 10:44:51 pm »
The Commander was a slightly larger version of the Grand Cherokee.  Now the Durango fills that role.  I think if they really want to do a Grand Wagoneer they should base it on the Ram.   That would make an interesting full size SUV.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:43:50 am by PJ »

Offline Carboy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 01:01:26 am »

"The Commander was a slightly larger version of the Grand Cherokee.  Now the Durango fills that row.  I think if they really want to do a Grand Wagoneer they should base it on the Ram.   That would make an interesting full size SUV. "

ARRRRGHHH!!!!!

Stop - you're freaking me out!

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 01:29:00 am »

"The Commander was a slightly larger version of the Grand Cherokee.  Now the Durango fills that row.  I think if they really want to do a Grand Wagoneer they should base it on the Ram.   That would make an interesting full size SUV. "

ARRRRGHHH!!!!!

Stop - you're freaking me out!

Why?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 07:48:24 am »
The Commander was a slightly larger version of the Grand Cherokee.  Now the Durango fills that role.  I think if they really want to do a Grand Wagoneer they should base it on the Ram.   That would make an interesting full size SUV.

I think that would be overkill; a new Grand Wagoneer should be to the Grand Cherokee was the Mercedes GL is to the ML.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 08:11:25 am »
This Grand Wagoneer could be a potentially excellent application for surplus 1.4 Liter Mulitair engines -
they could attach one to each wheel.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 09:35:48 am »
This Grand Wagoneer could be a potentially excellent application for surplus 1.4 Liter Mulitair engines -
they could attach one to each wheel.
:rofl:

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:47 am »

I think that would be overkill; a new Grand Wagoneer should be to the Grand Cherokee was the Mercedes GL is to the ML.

But that would be the existing  Durango. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 10:31:27 am »

So?  GM used to have 2 versions of every car under different brands, and they seem to be doing just fine (subject to some bailouts).

Hyundai/Kia's still doing it rather effectively, too.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 10:57:35 am »

So?  GM used to have 2 versions of every car under different brands, and they seem to be doing just fine (subject to some bailouts).

Hyundai/Kia's still doing it rather effectively, too.

I'd rather have a choice of models that was more then just the trim.  To each their own I guess. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 12:05:22 pm »
I honestly didn't know that there was a need for another 7 passenger SUV. Are people really buying these things?

Well they sure aren't building these things with the Canadian market in mind. Large SUVs like the Durango, Tahoe, Expedition, and the various luxury variants sell much better in the U.S. than here.

In the case of Jeep, this isn't strictly about offering a seven seater; it's about pushing further upmarket and capitalizing on the massive brand equity they have. I would assume that developing markets like Russia and China are also a factor.

That reference to overseas markets is probably a fair comment. I think they can market Jeep as "premium" overseas.

The Grand Cherokee is only outsold by the Explorer in the US. I don't think they'd have much difficulty in  moving a properly done Wagoneer.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 01:08:37 pm »

Like I said though, this vehicle would be placed above the Grand Cherokee. The Durango nameplate and the Dodge brand don't have the cachet to compete in the $60k+ segment. I'm sure there would be some overlap between a base Grand Wagoneer and a higher end Durango but the two could coexist IMO, especially in the larger U.S. market where people actually buy larger SUVs in reasonably large numbers.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
Re: Re: Grand Wagoneer A \
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 02:31:43 pm »

Like I said though, this vehicle would be placed above the Grand Cherokee. The Durango nameplate and the Dodge brand don't have the cachet to compete in the $60k+ segment. I'm sure there would be some overlap between a base Grand Wagoneer and a higher end Durango but the two could coexist IMO, especially in the larger U.S. market where people actually buy larger SUVs in reasonably large numbers.

If Land Rover can do it, so can Jeep.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 10:41:52 pm »
Chrysler could call it the Canyonero, or is that name already taken?  :rofl:

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel