Author Topic: TESLA Model III  (Read 524885 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +314/-518
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model III
« Reply #1780 on: June 18, 2018, 12:08:20 pm »
Went to a Tesla meet up last Friday, saw every combination of Model 3 exterior color and rim choice.
The regular silver (not the dark silver) is the one to get, looks amazing.
Agree that some of the other colors don't do the car justice.
The body lines stand out nicely in silver.

As for quality, there were literally dozens of 3's and not a complaint, I looked at the panels and finish of a few dozen myself and was surprised to see no issues, I was expecting to see far worse based on the expert opinions in the crowd on this forum?   :rofl2:

Anyway, with thousands of new Tesla owners (including two more on my street in the past month) in Ontario, it's going to get interesting as co-workers take their friends out for lunch and other non-sponsored marketing gets the word out.

We're staying with our Model S, my wife's opinion (and it seems to agree with every one here) is that the S is a superior car to the Model 3, and for the price, it should be.

Model 3's with performance all wheel drive will be coming out soon, I expect the YouTubers to go bat nuts about it, it will make the German makers even more upset as Tesla spends money on supercharging roll out instead of marketing like they do.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #1781 on: June 18, 2018, 12:35:31 pm »
Went to a Tesla meet up last Friday, saw every combination of Model 3 exterior color and rim choice.

As for quality, there were literally dozens of 3's and not a complaint, I looked at the panels and finish of a few dozen myself and was surprised to see no issues, I was expecting to see far worse based on the expert opinions in the crowd on this forum?   :rofl2:

Anyway, with thousands of new Tesla owners (including two more on my street in the past month) in Ontario, it's going to get interesting as co-workers take their friends out for lunch and other non-sponsored marketing gets the word out.

We're staying with our Model S, my wife's opinion (and it seems to agree with every one here) is that the S is a superior car to the Model 3, and for the price, it should be.

Model 3's with performance all wheel drive will be coming out soon, I expect the YouTubers to go bat nuts about it, it will make the German makers even more upset as Tesla spends money on supercharging roll out instead of marketing like they do.
the Germans, and the rest of the premium segment that the Model 3 is situated within...have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. The Model 3 is an EV. That is its sole advantage.

I have seen a couple up close in my area, the cars look OK (no major issues to my eye) but not worth the money paid IMO.

Keep drinking the Koolaid sir...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1782 on: June 18, 2018, 02:14:32 pm »

well they will all pay 14k more because that gov't giveaway is going away....

Well Trump had been in power for over a year now and the federal incentives are still active south of the border. It will probably take some time for Ford to out-Trump Trump.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #1783 on: June 18, 2018, 03:12:50 pm »

I don't think Tesla has to spend much on marketing to begin with. 

Very much like Apple, they are achieving cult-of-personality status where journalists, YouTubers and even everyday people are afraid of the absolute ridicule that's leveled their way if they say ANYTHING that can be construed as anti Tesla or anti Musk. 

So why spend money on marketing when the pitchfork-wielding muppets will do your job for you? 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:25:25 pm by SKYMTL »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 18, 2018, 03:23:40 pm »

You mean the people who put a deposit down on blind faith, put up with delay after delay and finally got their cars didn't want to say anything except everything is kool aid and rainbows? I am not shocked.

I work in the industry and I am an expert in part manufacture. Give me a Model III for an hour and I could easily find flaws.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1785 on: June 18, 2018, 04:17:19 pm »
Give me a Model III for an hour and I could easily find flaws.

A whole hour? What are you going to do with the other 55 minutes?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: June 18, 2018, 04:44:38 pm »
One major flaw is that the 3 not compatible with the Chamedo standard on 400V DC chargers. If you always stay on routes with Tesla SuperChargers fine but in some areas they are just inexistant. I can understand why a Tesla owner would prefer to charge on Tesla SC's, free or not, but the 400V chargers would be a great back up!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #1787 on: June 18, 2018, 05:23:17 pm »
They should by law standardized all charging systems

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1788 on: June 18, 2018, 05:37:16 pm »
Can you imagine if gas stations were auto-brand specific?  EV acceptance won't happen until charging is universal and ubiquitous.  Right now Tesla sees the Superchargers as a competitive advantage, and it is indeed, but long term, those strategies will hurt the growth of EVs as an industry.

Want a scenario where Tesla dies quickly?  Toyota and the other big brands partner to build industry wide fast charging stations that exclude Tesla.  They create a proprietary system used by all other brands that is then licensed to retailers, office buildings, and on and on (licenses for non commercial operations are free) and boom, Tesla is dead.  "You have your infrastructure, and we have ours."

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: June 18, 2018, 07:03:43 pm »
There is a Federal incentive in the US. From $2,500 to $7,500 depending on the battery size. This is the one that stops after a manufacturer has sold 200,000 EV’s, a point Tesla will soon reach. States may have additional incentives.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/electric-vehicles-tax-credits-and-other-incentives

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: June 18, 2018, 10:18:15 pm »

well they will all pay 14k more because that gov't giveaway is going away....

Well Trump had been in power for over a year now and the federal incentives are still active south of the border. It will probably take some time for Ford to out-Trump Trump.

The feds in the states don’t have the power to dictate what the different states give as EV rebates, whereas ford can very quickly and ditch the Ontario giveaways without a legislative vote.  waiting for the hammer to drop.

Yep it won’t be long before Ford gets rid of this non-sense...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: June 19, 2018, 04:55:18 pm »
Musk has gone full tin foil hat over the latest issues at the Model III plant.  From an e-mail sent to employees.

As you know, there are a long list of organizations that want Tesla to die. These include Wall Street short-sellers, who have already lost billions of dollars and stand to lose a lot more. Then there are the oil & gas companies, the wealthiest industry in the world — they don’t love the idea of Tesla advancing the progress of solar power & electric cars. Don’t want to blow your mind, but rumor has it that those companies are sometimes not super nice. Then there are the multitude of big gas/diesel car company competitors. If they’re willing to cheat so much about emissions, maybe they’re willing to cheat in other ways?

:foil: :foil: :foil: :foil:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1792 on: June 19, 2018, 05:01:54 pm »
Musk has gone full tin foil hat over the latest issues at the Model III plant.  From an e-mail sent to employees.

As you know, there are a long list of organizations that want Tesla to die. These include Wall Street short-sellers, who have already lost billions of dollars and stand to lose a lot more. Then there are the oil & gas companies, the wealthiest industry in the world — they don’t love the idea of Tesla advancing the progress of solar power & electric cars. Don’t want to blow your mind, but rumor has it that those companies are sometimes not super nice. Then there are the multitude of big gas/diesel car company competitors. If they’re willing to cheat so much about emissions, maybe they’re willing to cheat in other ways?

:foil: :foil: :foil: :foil:
Oh geez! :banghead:

I saw 2 Model 3's today (& 2 X's as well, parked on the same street as one of the 3's). The 2nd Model 3 I saw was at the Superstore, so I decided to take a closer look. Fit & finish from the outside wasn't the best, the panel gaps are off, but the black does mask it well. The interior is gotta be one of those beauty in the eye of the beholder kinda deal, yuk!!! To think I almost put a deposit on one of these about 14 months ago, whew, close call, lol! Though I suppose I'd still be waiting...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1793 on: June 19, 2018, 05:06:09 pm »
Well, at least the oil companies are finally leaving the 100mpg carb guys alone thanks to their new target of Tesla.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: June 19, 2018, 05:15:40 pm »
Well, at least the oil companies are finally leaving the 100mpg carb guys alone thanks to their new target of Tesla.

Ooooo...maybe it's the 100mpg carb guys!!

It will put them out of business before the car companies!!

Double tin foil hat conspiracy!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
TESLA Model III
« Reply #1795 on: June 20, 2018, 04:57:46 pm »
My wife's cousin was drive from Ottawa to Oakville . She text to see if would meet for coffee at the Tesla charging station in Port Hope
She got a new Model 3 in Red , with extended battery
The fit and finished look really nice
She in here in her late 60's
It took about 45 mins to charge
It has an  adaptor so you can plug it into a dryer plug, so you do not need a charging station
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:23:03 pm by Airbalancer »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: June 20, 2018, 08:53:38 pm »
Nice, does not look so bad after all.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:54 pm »
I saw a white one...looked pretty meh.

Red looks better.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: June 20, 2018, 09:43:56 pm »
Just curious, how much would that model 3 cost? I agree red looks best.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1799 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:00 pm »
Just curious, how much would that model 3 cost? I agree red looks best.
$65k + HST

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk