Author Topic: Nissan To Discontinue Versa Sedan In Canada  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Nissan To Discontinue Versa Sedan In Canada
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:29:28 pm »

Automaker does not want four-door Versa to compete with new Micra hatchback

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Nissan To Discontinue Versa Sedan In Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:03:56 pm »
Automaker does not want four-door Versa to compete with new Micra hatchback
Hey GM - ya listening?

I'm not sure how I feel, though - I'd almost think that they should have redesigned the Versa Note to be a sedan and leave the small hatch to the Micra.  Now if you want a small sedan (like most North Americans), you have to go to the Sentra, which is hardly 'small'.

Then again, this may force the buying public into hatchbacks and finally get them to realize the benefits therein.  Good on ya for that, Nissan.

Offline PRNDL0L

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Volvo 242 > Olds Cutlass Int > Saturn SL1 > Fusion SEL > Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:15:20 pm »
Wait, who is "Loing"?

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:20 pm »
Soon to be released: 

Versa TAB (now with suicide doors!)
Versa TAB 10.1 (10.1 inches of actual legroom in the back)
Versa Galaxy (massive moonroof)
Versa GEAR (with a 6-speed manual)
Versa Mini (2 doors)
Versa ATIV (using the 4x4 drive train no one really wants)

.....serious Nissan, just ditch the "Note" already....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:24:55 pm »
I'm not sure how I feel, though - I'd almost think that they should have redesigned the Versa Note to be a sedan and leave the small hatch to the Micra.  Now if you want a small sedan (like most North Americans), you have to go to the Sentra, which is hardly 'small'.

I'm pretty sure "does not want four-door Versa to compete with new Micra hatchback" is code for "the Versa sedan sells terribly in Canada".

Most Americans want a small sedan but Canada is a different story.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:03:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure "does not want four-door Versa to compete with new Micra hatchback" is code for "the Versa sedan sells terribly in Canada".

Most Americans want a small sedan but Canada is a different story.

Small sedans all look like ugly cartoons anyway.  Hatchbacks are the only way to go at this size...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 08:31:01 pm »
"the Versa sedan sells terribly in Canada".

Right.  Gross is tiny.  Retailing vehicles is no different than other retail enterprises.  Shelf space costs money. Why take up room on the lot when it makes no money.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »
"the Versa sedan sells terribly in Canada".

Right.  Gross is tiny.  Retailing vehicles is no different than other retail enterprises.  Shelf space costs money. Why take up room on the lot when it makes no money.

AS, how much control does a dealership have over its inventory?  Does Nissan force a dealership to take a certain amount of each model, just so they are available?  Or does the dealership have total control over vehicles ordered - i.e., we aren't ordering ANY Maximas because no one buys them, but we'll order extra Altimas instead.

I've heard that some MNFRs force dealerships to take a certain number of less-popular vehicles in exchange for getting a bigger supply of the popular (and profitable) models.  Is this true of Nissan/Toyota?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:57:48 pm »
Both Toyota Canada and Nissan operate under the pull system where the Distributor doesn't unreasonably push unwanted product on dealers.

Regarding the Versa Sedan, we had one, we plastered $9995. on the side, stuck it out on the roadway.  ::)  Never took delivery of another.  There is no profit in that unit.  PPL who buy those are super cheap, refuse all upsells and accessories and never come back for service.  Consequently, the store operates on a loss on that unit.  On the flip side the regular Versa has been a plus and it was super stupid to supply both.

It's all sh*t.  :)     

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 08:59:16 am »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.