Author Topic: 2015 Ford Focus Gets New Sheetmetal, 1.0-Litre EcoBoost  (Read 20998 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: 2015 Ford Focus Gets New Sheetmetal, 1.0-Litre EcoBoost
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 06:00:53 pm »
Except that Alberta is forecasting a deficit this year.

Looks like they sharpened up the dash, doesn't look like a Transformers bot anymore.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 08:15:32 pm »
Makes me wonder if this can be a good Mazda 3 competitor. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 08:18:24 pm »
There is a new automatic, but it isn't mated to the 1.0T. It only gets the 6 speed manual.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 08:45:34 pm »

Wondering if a 1.0 turbo can match a 2.0 Skyactive in price, drivability, performance and mileage ?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 12:51:13 pm »
Wondering if a 1.0 turbo can match a 2.0 Skyactive in price, drivability, performance and mileage ?
Maybe, Nope, and Nope.

I wish they'd drop the whole "Eco" bit for the turbos.  These engines are not Eco in any sense of the so called word.  They produce great power not get mileage. They should go with that and stop pretending.
+1 - I've been advocating for that since 'eco'boost's inception.

When driven like a 1.0L engine, the Ecoboost will get 1L like fuel economy. But when driven hard, it can definitely suck fuel like a larger engine. The trick is to stay out of boost.
I think you're correct in theory, but in reality, turbochargers are tuned to come on at such low RPMs that you're either getting wholly insufficient power to accelerate at the 5.4km/s (the so-called 'peak efficiency') or you're in some form of boost.  While not hustling a 1.0L 3-cylinder at 6,000rpm all the time, it will not act like a 1.0L engine at 2,500rpm either.

I find that in my Forester XT, despite the peak torque at 2,600rpm and my accelerating smoothly, the 4 speed auto, 3,500lb heft to move, and losses from the AWD drivetrain make it wholly impossible for me to get less than V6 (or H6) fuel economy, and at 224hp, it's not V6 power either.  Don't get me wrong - that EJ25 is a gem of an engine, but turbos are not always the answer when fuel efficiency is the goal.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 12:56:11 pm »
I think you're correct in theory, but in reality, turbochargers are tuned to come on at such low RPMs that you're either getting wholly insufficient power to accelerate at the 5.4km/s (the so-called 'peak efficiency') or you're in some form of boost.  While not hustling a 1.0L 3-cylinder at 6,000rpm all the time, it will not act like a 1.0L engine at 2,500rpm either.

Get rid of slushboxes and the problem might solve itself as with a MT the turbo could be programmed to bring the boost on later.   The instant low rpm torque that these modern systems are set up for does allay the feelings of buyers who were brought up with big engines.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »
The instant low rpm torque that these modern systems are set up for does allay the feelings of buyers who were brought up with big engines.
Big engine?  What's that?  Biggest I've ever 'owned' (incl parents' vehicles) is the 3.3L V6 in the RX - but that's a Hybrid  :rofl2:

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 01:15:30 pm »

More wondering about the car itself.  If I was in the market for a good looking, economical and fun to drive hatch right now, it would be the Mazda.  The Focus would be a competitor but its transmission, small cargo space and current generation SYNC would have killed it for me.  If they can address those issues (and it looks like they might), then its a pretty close race. 

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 02:47:30 pm »
The 1.0L Ecoboost has 123hp and 148lb-ft of torque. The 2.0L Skyactive has 155hp and identical 148lb-ft of torque, but much higher in the rev range.

CR had this to say about the Mazda's handling:

While not as sharp as it was in previous Mazda3s, it's still among the most fun small cars to drive, just behind the (less reliable) Volkswagen Golf and Ford Focus

Focus being less reliable entirely due to complaints about MFT, which we've discussed before.

Comparing fuel economy, CR ended with an overall average of 28mpg with the 2.0L focus and 32mpg for the 2.0L Mazda3. There's not much doubt the 1.0L will give better fuel economy if it's driven properly.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 02:54:10 pm »
There's not much doubt the 1.0L will give better fuel economy if it's driven properly.
I see your little caveat there.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 02:56:55 pm »
There's not much doubt the 1.0L will give better fuel economy if it's driven properly.

Lots of people do. The Cruze 1.4T has been getting better fuel economy on Fuelly than the Corolla or Civic.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:55 pm »

Lots of people do. The Cruze 1.4T has been getting better fuel economy on Fuelly than the Corolla or Civic.

A 1.4 is a lot bigger then a 1.0.  Lot easier to drive it out of the boost.  I think you'd have to be a real hypermiler to match the numbers or make or make the complexity worthwhile. 

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »

A 1.4 is a lot bigger then a 1.0.  Lot easier to drive it out of the boost.  I think you'd have to be a real hypermiler to match the numbers or make or make the complexity worthwhile.

The 1.4L has 138hp and 148ft-lbs of torque, not much difference. The Cruze is roughly 100kg heavier than a similarly equipped Focus.

In Europe, Ford has dropped natural aspiration in the Focus. Their engines are either turbo gas or turbo diesel.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 08:56:46 am »
From the BBC

Along with the new engine – which is present in one-third of all new Focuses in Europe – the 2015 Focus receives some styling attention, with an even more Aston Martin-like trapezoidal grille treatment, as well as more sculptured hood and lighting elements front and rear. The engine is the same 123hp triple that made its North American debut in the 2014 subcompact Fiesta; it’s just now tasked with moving the larger, heavier Focus.

To allay concerns that the Focus might be too big for the little EcoBoost, Ford concocted a publicity exercise in May 2012, where a team of test drivers and journalists, myself included, flogged a pair of 1-litre EcoBoost Focuses around the CERAM test track in Mortefontaine, France, for 24 hours with the object of setting the world speed record for a 1-litre car.

We set 16 of them, from the standing kilometre to the full 24 hours. Over the day of driving, the slightly faster of the two Focuses averaged 106mph, including the time lost for pit stops and driver changes. The number might have been higher, had Ford officials not asked participants to take it easy for the first 22 hours.

In the 22nd hour they green-lighted me to go flat out in sixth gear, and the car delivered an hour of driving at 120mph. The subsequent driver, who climbed aboard for the final stint, was allowed to go flat out in fifth gear and he saw speeds of 128mph.

Ford says the 2015 model accelerates to 60mph in a little over 11 seconds, somewhat sluggish by its competitors’ standards, but compared to the compact-car turtles of just a decade ago, it is a rocket. Most drivers will never notice that the three-cylinder accelerates a touch more slowly than the four-cylinder version because such differences are only apparent under full-throttle, pedal-on-the-floor acceleration.

In regular driving it is more than quick enough. In France, while leaving the pits after a driver change, the record-setting car delivered tire-chirping upshifts to second and third gear, every single time, for the whole day.

What drivers will notice, however, is that the Focus earned a score of 56.5  mpg( imperial) in European fuel economy testing. Granted, the North America-bound version has yet to be certified on the US’s EPA cycle, but the numbers should be sufficient to put the car into conversation with pricier hybrids and turbodiesel models. In a package with the relative space and comfort of the Focus, and not in a tiny, tinny minicar that extracts a pound of flesh for efficiency, the 1-litre Focus should stand tall.

Still, how will they sell any without an automatic of some kind.   Fords dual clutch maybe?  I have not read anything that says it is perfected yet ( lets say that perfected  = as good as the VW DSG)  Maybe they should put a real VW DSG with appropriate software and ratios into this car.  But I bet a slushbox would kill it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:58:51 am by tpl »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 09:02:05 am »
The instant low rpm torque that these modern systems are set up for does allay the feelings of buyers who were brought up with big engines.
Big engine?  What's that?  Biggest I've ever 'owned' (incl parents' vehicles) is the 3.3L V6 in the RX - but that's a Hybrid  :rofl2:

There are people on this forum ( not me!) who are old enough to have been brought up when a 350 ci V8 was deemed an economy engine.   I worked with someone in the late '70s who bought a Ford Torino with a 460 ci V8. They complained that on a trip for TO to Mt Tremblant and back in the winter it only averaged 9 (imperial) mpg.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 09:56:50 am »
Still, how will they sell any without an automatic of some kind.   Fords dual clutch maybe?  I have not read anything that says it is perfected yet ( lets say that perfected  = as good as the VW DSG)  Maybe they should put a real VW DSG with appropriate software and ratios into this car.  But I bet a slushbox would kill it.

It will be sold in North America with the 6-speed auto mentioned previously.  This has been confirmed on Jalopnik, C&D and several other sites. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 10:28:08 am »

It will be sold in North America with the 6-speed auto mentioned previously.  This has been confirmed on Jalopnik, C&D and several other sites.
You mean the new automatic mentioned by SirO that is not mated to the 1.0?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 10:32:55 am »

There are people on this forum ( not me!) who are old enough to have been brought up when a 350 ci V8 was deemed an economy engine.   I worked with someone in the late '70s who bought a Ford Torino with a 460 ci V8. They complained that on a trip for TO to Mt Tremblant and back in the winter it only averaged 9 (imperial) mpg.

To me anything with 6 cylinders and under 4L of displacement is a tiny little econo engine  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 10:52:43 am »
Whereas the 1.0-liter is paired with a five-speed manual in the Fiesta, it will shift through a six-speed manual in the Focus. An automatic transmission will not be offered with the triple.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/geneva-preview-2015-ford-focus.html#ixzz2uRZWeFPR

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 10:52:49 am »

You mean the new automatic mentioned by SirO that is not mated to the 1.0?

According to several posts, it is mated to the 1.0.  However there is some conflicting info: 

Every third Focus was sold with the 1.0 Ecoboost three-cylinder in Europe last year, and Ford has finally decided to offer it in the 'States too as an option with the 2015 Ford Focus. There's also a new six-speed automatic.

Ford will add the 6-speed automatic transmission to the Focus' 125HP 1.0 EcoBoost in 2015.

And yet.....others say this:

As in the Fiesta, the 1.0-liter will only be offered with a manual transmission, but the Focus receives an additional cog for a total of six forward gears

I guess time will tell. 

(sources:  Jalopnik, Automobile, C&D)