Author Topic: 2015 Ford Focus Gets New Sheetmetal, 1.0-Litre EcoBoost  (Read 21009 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
2015 Ford Focus Gets New Sheetmetal, 1.0-Litre EcoBoost
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:37:08 pm »

Redesigned model revealed at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: 2015 Ford Focus Gets New Sheetmetal, 1.0-Litre EcoBoost
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:47:40 pm »
Now it looks more like its corporate siblings.  I could care less - the styling did need an update, but I didn't think it looked bad - just a little old.

The engine option, though, is puzzling as it trades 37 very important horsepower for some laboratoryfuel savings.  I'm just curious as to how that engine will perform when mated to an Automatic tranny and with the added heft of a Focus over a Fiesta.
The indicated average for our test on U.K. roads, driving briskly but not flat-out, was 32 mpg. This suggests that, as usual, there is a discrepancy between laboratory and real-world conditions, which is especially true of turbocharged cars. Ford says the little engine “provides the opportunity for exceptional fuel economy” but accepts that it can’t be achieved if you make use of the full performance envelope.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2012-ford-focus-10l-ecoboost-first-drive-review

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:59:07 pm »
The should offer the 1.5/1.6 EcoBoost in the Titanium trim.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:03:39 pm »
Now it looks more like its corporate siblings.  I could care less - the styling did need an update, but I didn't think it looked bad - just a little old.

The engine option, though, is puzzling as it trades 37 very important horsepower for some laboratoryfuel savings.  I'm just curious as to how that engine will perform when mated to an Automatic tranny and with the added heft of a Focus over a Fiesta.
The indicated average for our test on U.K. roads, driving briskly but not flat-out, was 32 mpg. This suggests that, as usual, there is a discrepancy between laboratory and real-world conditions, which is especially true of turbocharged cars. Ford says the little engine “provides the opportunity for exceptional fuel economy” but accepts that it can’t be achieved if you make use of the full performance envelope.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2012-ford-focus-10l-ecoboost-first-drive-review

Well, the 2.0 is making a comeback in its usual form.  The Ecoboost will simply be there as an upsell for people who think it will grant better gas mileage. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:09:49 pm »
I dont care about fuel mileage...which is the most powerful engine and can I get it in any model??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 01:45:10 pm »
I dont care about fuel mileage...which is the most powerful engine and can I get it in any model??

Must be nice to be able to buy gas for a dollar a litre on Albertan salaries.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 01:48:11 pm »

If I started to worry about how much fuel a little car like this consumes...I would stop driving because it would mean I cant afford to. Also, how much do you think I make....Im not a welder, doctor or lawyer.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 01:50:26 pm »
Some people can't get good fuel economy with turbos. But they've been a staple in European and Asian small cars since the 1980s for a reason.

The 1.4T Cruze has been getting pretty good fuel economy on Fuelly compared to larger engined, normally aspirated competitors.

From the sounds of the press release, the 1.0L is mated to the 6 speed manual. No mention of the automatic.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:53:02 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 02:11:08 pm »
Some people can't get good fuel economy with turbos. But they've been a staple in European and Asian small cars since the 1980s for a reason.

The 1.4T Cruze has been getting pretty good fuel economy on Fuelly compared to larger engined, normally aspirated competitors.

From the sounds of the press release, the 1.0L is mated to the 6 speed manual. No mention of the automatic.

Yeah, this will be manual-only as it is with the Fiesta as well I believe.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 02:22:45 pm »

Well, the 2.0 is making a comeback in its usual form.  The Ecoboost will simply be there as an upsell for people who think it will grant better gas mileage. 

So if you don't want the old 5 speed gearbox you have to upgrade/downgrade to the 1.0 ecoboost?

I agree that I'd love to see them offer the 1.6 Ecoboost as an option with the 6 spped stick.

2.0 with DCT as base/rental special
1.0l ecoboost for the fuel economy Crowd
2.0 ecoboost for the St and
1,6 Ecoboost with Auto or Stick  would be class leading power without going to the ST.

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 02:22:52 pm »
New sheet metal? That was quick.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:25:14 pm »
New sheet metal? That was quick.

Not really, it's going into its fourth model year so that's the right time for an MCE.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 02:50:05 pm »
i agree that it feels like they have been doing mid cycle changes a little more obvious and such... i feel like it wasn't that long ago that they were pushing those "lionboy" ads with the focus.... and that was 3 quite different cars ago now.

anywho... engine... i think this is getting crazy. all the domestic brands are confusing their customers with all these different engine transmission choices... keep it simple! that's what this segment is about... simple and efficient all around.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 02:54:32 pm »
Must be nice to live in BC where the Province is kinda awesome.
1,6 Ecoboost with Auto or Stick  would be class leading power without going to the ST.
I'd rather see fewer options in the line up, but get rid of the silly options.

1.0T 6MT as base (el cheapo)
1.6T with DCT or 6MT for volume
2.0T for ST

The 2.0 NA doesn't belong if they're going to offer the 1.6T.

Sure, turbocharging makes these powertrains cost more, but that's the cost of doing business when your business model is "hey, look at us...we're 'eco'boosting!" O0

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 03:01:04 pm »
If I started to worry about how much fuel a little car like this consumes...I would stop driving because it would mean I cant afford to. Also, how much do you think I make....Im not a welder, doctor or lawyer.

$80k a year an a household income of $135k.

We got 4" of snow this weekend! Now it's going to all melt away with 10C highs this week.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 03:54:12 pm »
I'd rather see fewer options in the line up, but get rid of the silly options.

1.0T 6MT as base (el cheapo)
1.6T with DCT or 6MT for volume
2.0T for ST

The 2.0 NA doesn't belong if they're going to offer the 1.6T.

Sure, turbocharging makes these powertrains cost more, but that's the cost of doing business when your business model is "hey, look at us...we're 'eco'boosting!" O0

I wish they'd drop the whole "Eco" bit for the turbos.  These engines are not Eco in any sense of the so called word.  They produce great power not get mileage. They should go with that and stop pretending.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 04:22:48 pm »
I wish they'd drop the whole "Eco" bit for the turbos.  These engines are not Eco in any sense of the so called word.  They produce great power not get mileage. They should go with that and stop pretending.

When driven like a 1.0L engine, the Ecoboost will get 1L like fuel economy. But when driven hard, it can definitely suck fuel like a larger engine. The trick is to stay out of boost. If you're planning to run the car hard all the time, it' s probably better to go with a naturally aspirated bigger engine. For someone like me who normally accelerates at an OK pace but would appreciate the power once in awhile for say merging onto a freeway with a really short merge lane, a small turbo would probably be more beneficial.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 05:12:33 pm »

When driven like a 1.0L engine, the Ecoboost will get 1L like fuel economy. But when driven hard, it can definitely suck fuel like a larger engine. The trick is to stay out of boost. If you're planning to run the car hard all the time, it' s probably better to go with a naturally aspirated bigger engine. For someone like me who normally accelerates at an OK pace but would appreciate the power once in awhile for say merging onto a freeway with a really short merge lane, a small turbo would probably be more beneficial.

I would agree on a 1.6 or 2.0 turbo.   A 1.0 L engine is just too small for a car the size of the Focus.  You will need the boost just to keep up with traffic.   

Now if Ford had a 1900 lb car to put it in. 

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »
Update: 

-  1.0 EcoBoost confirmed for North America. 
-  6-speed Auto on the EcoBoost
-  2.0L remains the same (maybe with a 6 speed autobox?)
-  Blackberry-powered QNX SYNC.  Huzzah! 

Source:  http://jalopnik.com/the-us-is-getting-the-2015-ford-focus-with-a-1-0-liter-1529605935

Northernridge

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 05:45:17 pm »

I'd settle for Alberta's taxes...mmmm, oil wealth.  :heart: