Author Topic: GM Pickups To Also Use Aluminum By 2018  (Read 6781 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
GM Pickups To Also Use Aluminum By 2018
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:51:03 am »

Four years behind their Dearborn rival, General Motors sees the benefits of lightweight trucks

Read More...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: GM Pickups To Also Use Aluminum By 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:55 am »
"Aluminum" has Ford discovered a NEW METAL.......................Periodically speaking spell check
broken?????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: GM Pickups To Also Use Aluminum By 2018
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:36:20 am »
"Aluminum" has Ford discovered a NEW METAL.......................Periodically speaking spell check
broken?????

British English would have it spelled as aluminium, correct?  North American English has it spelled as aluminum.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Etymology

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:51:43 pm »
In the meantime, I saw a tv ad for new GM pickups the other day, and the ad made a big deal of saying that the trucks had STEEL beds.  Prior to Ford's move, there was no reason to mention what the bed was made of.  Nothing like shameless hypocrisy.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:19:08 pm »
I saw a tv ad for new GM pickups the other day, and the ad made a big deal of saying that the trucks had STEEL beds.

Not just STEEL .... ROLLED steel just like one might find in a SUBMARIME.   :fall: :shake:

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 06:47:51 am »
I believe the new 2015 full size GM utes (Tahoe, Suburban etc.) are using aluminum in their roofs and hoods.  I think Ford is going overboard.  What's it gonna cost in insurance if your vehicle now costs double to triple in repairs for an accident.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 07:37:02 am »
I believe the new 2015 full size GM utes (Tahoe, Suburban etc.) are using aluminum in their roofs and hoods.  I think Ford is going overboard.  What's it gonna cost in insurance if your vehicle now costs double to triple in repairs for an accident.
This is a critical point and very overlooked. These trucks are very high volume and the costs of aluminum reach far beyond "Hey the hood is now 1000 vs 500. Aluminum repair needs special equipment as well as very special training. Your average independent body shop can't afford either so don't think you can just take your new truck anywhere you want.
Yes the parts will cost more but it will also be quite some time before aftermarket aluminum parts are available so more expensive OEM is the only choice.Bad for consumer and insurance but great for Gm.
Its going to be years before any amount of Salvage/used parts hit the market either.

Yes they save weight but its also a very clever way for the OEMs to corner the market on collision repair and body panels on the biggest volume vehicles in NA.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 08:43:19 am »
This is a critical point and very overlooked. These trucks are very high volume and the costs of aluminum reach far beyond "Hey the hood is now 1000 vs 500. Aluminum repair needs special equipment as well as very special training. Your average independent body shop can't afford either so don't think you can just take your new truck anywhere you want.
Yes the parts will cost more but it will also be quite some time before aftermarket aluminum parts are available so more expensive OEM is the only choice.Bad for consumer and insurance but great for Gm.
Its going to be years before any amount of Salvage/used parts hit the market either.

Yes they save weight but its also a very clever way for the OEMs to corner the market on collision repair and body panels on the biggest volume vehicles in NA.
Several outcomes I think.
1. Popular feeling will cause the USA to ease the economy requirements for trucks (2016 and then 2025) as this is undoubtedly why this is being done.
2. People will buy new 2014 trucks while they are still steel which will then lessen sales of the new ones which may cause GM and Ford to go back to steel
3. Sensible people may just stop buying the behemoths in the first place.
4. Least likely. People who buy the aluminium bodied trucks will drive so as to not crash them.  :o
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:02:00 am »
I saw a tv ad for new GM pickups the other day, and the ad made a big deal of saying that the trucks had STEEL beds.

Not just STEEL .... ROLLED steel just like one might find in a SUBMARIME.   :fall: :shake:

I got a kick out of that "because SUBMARINE!" commercial too.  If that's the best they've got......  :(

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 09:31:57 am »
wouldn't composite body panels make more sense then?  as long as it's not structural.

there' 3D printers around, any auto body shop can buy them.

you can make a mold on the fly and create composite body panels as replacements for any body panel that's not structural.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:40:38 am »
With the amount of actual work trucks around here that have a damaged panel here and there I could see large fleet customers really starting to dislike all this aluminum. Tailgates are already a really hot commodity around here....I imagine when they go up in price by 2, 3 or 4X that the crackheads will really start targeting them. I with aqua...I think composites and good old fashioned steel are a better combo....all submarine comparisons aside.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:29:41 pm »
Are there additional disadvantages to aluminum beyond the potential impact on insurance premiums?

As far as advertising goes, it's just advertising. How is it (the submarine ad) any sillier than Toyota driving a Tundra up a flaming ramp?

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 02:35:44 pm »
Are there additional disadvantages to aluminum beyond the potential impact on insurance premiums?

As far as advertising goes, it's just advertising. How is it (the submarine ad) any sillier than Toyota driving a Tundra up a flaming ramp?

It will be less resistant to bending, bodyshops are going to have to relearn their trade, cant easily do a patch panel, aluminum welding is a lot tougher than metal.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 02:48:12 pm »

Not really any different (or the Frontier ad where it is climbing the sand dune...)

But my issue with this GM ad: it is preaching the benefit of one particular feature (in this case, steel bed).  Anyone who is paying attention to the truck market knows that Ford is moving to aluminum, so this is an (indirect) swipe at Ford.  But then the next month, GM quietly admits that it, too, will be going aluminum-intensive on their next redesign.  So what's really the benefit of that rolled steel again??  It's just hypocritical is all.

It's like the Silverado ad from a few years ago where Howie Long makes fun of the guy using the "man step" in his F150 (when that feature first came out on the F150).  Then next redesign - GM has its own version of the man-step!  I just find it distasteful that GM takes these shots at competitors in their ads, knowing full well they will be copying them on their next model.  Is it any worse than Ford's almost-but-not-quite-outright lying about their towing capacity in previous years? No...like you say, it's just advertising.  But if the idea is to improve my perception of the brand, to me these truck ads fail.

Still, the worst offender to me was Hyundai's "save the asterisk" ad campaign.  Real classy - take shots at your competitors for their fuel economy advertising....then a couple months later mail out a bunch of cheques to consumers because your engineers couldn't figure out how to properly apply/interpret the fuel economy testing standards.  Hyundai should be thankful Ford/Honda/GM didn't come up with their own advertising campaign about that little SNAFU!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 02:58:29 pm »
The new F-150 uses a 6000 Series aluminum alloy that’s commonly employed in aerospace and military designs. The alloy offers a yield strength of about 30 ksi, which rises to about 45 ksi when the material is heat-treated. Approximately 80 percent of the aluminum is 6000 Series and the remaining 20 percent is a 5000 Series, which has a lower yield strength. "Between the alloys and the tempering, our door panels and box panels are more dent- and ding-resistant than they would have been with steel,” Reyes said.

Ford also uses a high-strength, dual-phase steel alloy for about 80 percent of the truck’s frame. The high-strength steel, which has a yield strength of more than 70 ksi, enabled Ford engineers to cut about 60 lb from the frame. Together, the aluminum alloys and the high-strength steel combined to eliminate about 700 lb from the overall vehicle weight. An F-150 4 x 4 crew cab, for example, drops from about 5,500 lb to about 4,800 lb.

The lower mass also makes the use of aluminum more economically feasible, Reyes told us. Although aluminum and high-strength steels are more costly per pound than mild steels, the 700-lb difference helps minimize any additional costs. The key, however, was the availability of the CAE tools, Reyes said. “In the past, we just didn’t have the sophisticated computer models for aluminum that we had for steel,” Reyes told us. “Now that we have them, we can be efficient in our timing.”

http://www.designnews.com/document.asp?doc_id=271215&dfpPParams=ind_186,industry_auto,industry_aero,industry_gov,aid_271215&dfpLayout=article

http://www.superiorextrusion.com/AluminumAlloyStrengths.pdf

These are high strength aluminum alloys, not pop cans.

It's still going to require some specialization to work with the panels, so there is a pretty large risk if it doesn't pan out. Ford and GM are gambling that the risk is outweighed by the returns. It's a pretty big gamble.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 03:06:55 pm »

It will be less resistant to bending, bodyshops are going to have to relearn their trade, cant easily do a patch panel, aluminum welding is a lot tougher than metal.

I'll give you that one (if it's true...see Sir O's post). As for difficulty repairing, who cares? That's the body shop's problem not mine – unless it results in higher insurance premiums. I also wonder if the aluminum will bump up the selling price.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »

I'll give you that one (if it's true...see Sir O's post). As for difficulty repairing, who cares? That's the body shop's problem not mine – unless it results in higher insurance premiums. I also wonder if the aluminum will bump up the selling price.

The material is more expensive to purchase and its harder to fix, I see an increase in selling cost and insurance rates.

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 03:17:18 pm »

Not really any different (or the Frontier ad where it is climbing the sand dune...)

But my issue with this GM ad: it is preaching the benefit of one particular feature (in this case, steel bed).  Anyone who is paying attention to the truck market knows that Ford is moving to aluminum, so this is an (indirect) swipe at Ford.  But then the next month, GM quietly admits that it, too, will be going aluminum-intensive on their next redesign.  So what's really the benefit of that rolled steel again??  It's just hypocritical is all.

It's like the Silverado ad from a few years ago where Howie Long makes fun of the guy using the "man step" in his F150 (when that feature first came out on the F150).  Then next redesign - GM has its own version of the man-step!  I just find it distasteful that GM takes these shots at competitors in their ads, knowing full well they will be copying them on their next model.  Is it any worse than Ford's almost-but-not-quite-outright lying about their towing capacity in previous years? No...like you say, it's just advertising.  But if the idea is to improve my perception of the brand, to me these truck ads fail.

Still, the worst offender to me was Hyundai's "save the asterisk" ad campaign.  Real classy - take shots at your competitors for their fuel economy advertising....then a couple months later mail out a bunch of cheques to consumers because your engineers couldn't figure out how to properly apply/interpret the fuel economy testing standards.  Hyundai should be thankful Ford/Honda/GM didn't come up with their own advertising campaign about that little SNAFU!

I actually think the submarine ad is a good one...even with the hypocrisy. If I'm working for GM I'd think like this...

Holly cow Ford is beating us to the aluminum punch, what are we going to do?
Make one ourselves in case the market likes them
In the meantime, let's fan the flames of doubt by implying steel is stronger and better than aluminum – it's the old, "bash it if you can't match" approach
OK, how can we symbolize the strength of steel? Think, think...Got it! What about a steel submarine smashing up through ice?
Brilliant Mad Man, here's $40 million dollars, you're super awesome. Let's have a drink. (I embellished this part a little)

Oh, what do we do if the market likes aluminum trucks?
Duh, promote it like it's the best thing since sliced bread
Right. How can we symbolize the light weight strength of aluminium...?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 03:18:34 pm »
The material is more expensive to purchase and its harder to fix, I see an increase in selling cost and insurance rates.

Most body shops avoid metal work as much as possible and typically use replacement panels when they can. Pickup bodies fit in well with this because other than the cab, the rest of the bodywork is discreet sheet metal pieces. It's still a big question mark though.

Ford is saying that it's true that aluminum is more expensive per kg than steel, but they are using fewer kgs so the overall cost of production isn't much different.

These will be much more corrosion resistant too, a big plus in large chunks of the country where you're much more likely to lose a truck to the rusties than anything else.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 03:19:46 pm »
Right. How can we symbolize the light weight strength of aluminium...?

Aircraft!

;D