Author Topic: Hyundai Gives Full Details On 2015 Genesis Sedan  (Read 10088 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Hyundai Gives Full Details On 2015 Genesis Sedan
« on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:40 am »

Rear-wheel drive gets cut in favour of standard H-TRAC all-wheel drive

Read More...

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Re: Hyundai Gives Full Details On 2015 Genesis Sedan
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:33:33 am »

Read More...

I didn't realize the new Genesis was going all-AWD - I thought it was only going to be an option.  Is RWD still available for US-spec Genesis?  But to be fair, keeping RWD for the Cdn market probably didn't make much sense for Hyundai, based on how few Genesis they sell here.  Dealers wouldn't want to stock them anyway, if they could get their hands on an AWD version instead.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:45:04 am »
Hmmm - autos.ca article says the V8 starts at 53K in Canada.  Autoblog is saying the V8 is $62K in Canada, only trim being fully loaded.
$53K seems reasonable (especially if it's the top trim, with the V8), but another 10 grand on top of that seems way too steep.

Mark, can you confirm those numbers?  Probably autoblog that's wrong, no?  ;)

http://ca.autoblog.com/2014/02/13/2014-toronto-auto-show-2015-hyundai-genesis-sedan-price-canada/

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:25:45 pm »
Hmmm - autos.ca article says the V8 starts at 53K in Canada.  Autoblog is saying the V8 is $62K in Canada, only trim being fully loaded.
$53K seems reasonable (especially if it's the top trim, with the V8), but another 10 grand on top of that seems way too steep.

Mark, can you confirm those numbers?  Probably autoblog that's wrong, no?  ;)

http://ca.autoblog.com/2014/02/13/2014-toronto-auto-show-2015-hyundai-genesis-sedan-price-canada/

My bad -- thanks for the catch. I misread the pricing table at the bottom of the press release.

Article has been updated. You can cash in your drink ticket the next time you're in Halifax.

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:35:01 pm »
The V8 car is going to have to be awful, awful good to sell into the 60's. I liked the Genesis when it was priced comparably to the TL and ES350, etc. Hyundai is going to have to convince me all over again that the Genesis can compete at this price point. Presently, I couldn't imagine paying the same price for a Genesis that I could for a Lexus GS350...and having a V8 does't change that.

Hyundai should invite me to drive their new V8 Genesis for a week.  ;)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:22:10 pm »

Read More...

I didn't realize the new Genesis was going all-AWD - I thought it was only going to be an option.  Is RWD still available for US-spec Genesis?  But to be fair, keeping RWD for the Cdn market probably didn't make much sense for Hyundai, based on how few Genesis they sell here.  Dealers wouldn't want to stock them anyway, if they could get their hands on an AWD version instead.

While the AWD is standard, note that it's very much a rear-biased system. The only time more than 40% of the torque output is going to the front is if heavy traction loss is detected off the line. Otherwise, the car is sending 60-100% of the power to the rear wheels, especially while cornering and with Sport mode engaged.

The V8 car is going to have to be awful, awful good to sell into the 60's. I liked the Genesis when it was priced comparably to the TL and ES350, etc. Hyundai is going to have to convince me all over again that the Genesis can compete at this price point. Presently, I couldn't imagine paying the same price for a Genesis that I could for a Lexus GS350...and having a V8 does't change that.

Having driven both, I like our odds. Of course, I encourage you to find out for yourself! The car was designed from the ground up to take the fight to cars like the 5-series, E-Class, and A6, not entry-luxury cars based on mass-market platforms.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:24:55 pm by Force »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 01:43:36 pm »

You let us know when you plan to be in Toronto this summer (no, we're not going to fly you in and put you up, unless you want to stay at Jacob's place or babysit my kids), and I'll work on Force for a special dispensation - he's generally pretty open-minded, and being our resident Berlin Taxi advocate, you are exactly the person Hyundai needs to convince, so it would make an interesting 'case study' article much as we did with Fob and the pickups.... not sure if we'll have an E-Class, but that would make it ideal. I'm sure we'll do that comparison whether you come down to the big smoke or not, but would love to have you on board.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:44:13 pm »
Thanks for the update Force.  You probably can't speculate here, but what do you think will be the sales breakdown between V6 vs V8? Based on the pricing structure (V8 at 62K, only fully loaded version available), I'm guessing Hyundai Canada isn't planning on selling too many of them.  I'd think > 90% of sales will be V6 models, and nothing wrong with that - probably a sweet spot in the price/performance ratio.

I'd like to see the "upstart" Genesis succeed, and I don't doubt it can be compared with the German luxury midsizers.  But I also think NR is right - most actual consumers will be comparing it primarily against AWD versions of GS, TLX, Q50/70, etc.

That might be a nice autos.ca test - comparison of AWD luxury/sport sedans available at the 50K pricepoint, regardless of size or badge...

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:45:32 pm »
Article has been updated. You can cash in your drink ticket the next time you're in Halifax.

Hmmm, maybe a special trip to the Maritimes is in order? Make mine "Premium, dude..... PREMIUM!!!!!"

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:57:17 pm »

You let us know when you plan to be in Toronto this summer (no, we're not going to fly you in and put you up, unless you want to stay at Jacob's place or babysit my kids), and I'll work on Force for a special dispensation - he's generally pretty open-minded, and being our resident Berlin Taxi advocate, you are exactly the person Hyundai needs to convince, so it would make an interesting 'case study' article much as we did with Fob and the pickups.... not sure if we'll have an E-Class, but that would make it ideal. I'm sure we'll do that comparison whether you come down to the big smoke or not, but would love to have you on board.

He could drive the E-Class all the way from MB....question is, can/will he drive home in a Genesis? :)

I can see the Genesis 3.8 comparing favorably both upwards (E/5'er/GS/A6) and downwards (TL, S60?) but the V8 is a bit less certain.....
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 06:03:29 pm »
Thanks for the update Force.  You probably can't speculate here, but what do you think will be the sales breakdown between V6 vs V8? Based on the pricing structure (V8 at 62K, only fully loaded version available), I'm guessing Hyundai Canada isn't planning on selling too many of them.  I'd think > 90% of sales will be V6 models, and nothing wrong with that - probably a sweet spot in the price/performance ratio.

We expect a significantly higher volume of V8s than that. Projections put it somewhere in the 25% range. This isn't just grabbed out of the air, but rather based on past sales performance and customer data.

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:37 pm »
I'm actually optimistic that it's a very good car but north of $60k is a different kettle of fish (in term of competitors) than the 50k-ish segment. Which is why I sincerely want to give the AWD V8 a serious go.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 07:17:00 pm »
I would wonder if Hyundai dealers can deliver an appropriate level/type of service for this market segment in terms of the sales experience and the after sale interaction with the service department. Our local dealer seems kind of huckster-ish/ carnival-like in terms of his ads and sales promos. (Big flashy ads/big screen TV with every purchase/pictures of Sam and Shirley Suburb taking delivery of their new Elantra etc etc type of stuff). Not the sort of feel you'd get in a Lexus/BMW etc store.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 10:40:23 am »
I am very interested to see this new Genesis.  The details sound promising.  Pricing is decent.  62k in a Hyundai is like 80k in a E-class from what it looks like.

The dealership and service experience needs to improve, especially with the skeevy GoAuto dealers around here.

Seriously, I hope they spin off a luxury division with separate dealerships.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:18 am »
After seeing the car at the Autoshow I have to say I am very impressed (have a post in my Buying/Selling thread with details).

The dealer service angle is a potential issue. However I'm sure we can lean on Force to get stuff sorted out, eh? ;D ;)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 11:27:24 am »
Further to the Hyundai dealer "type" I heard a radio ad today hyping an Accent L for $35 a week. No mention of the term but I'm assumiong it is basicly the life of the car plus six months.  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 12:46:04 pm »
If I wanted a Genesis I'd get one regardless of the dealership (good or bad). Mercedes Winnipeg is no screaming hell – the best part of going there is checking out the nice hardware.

Besides, I actually think that Hyundai knows it has to go the extra mile for Genesis/Equus owners...I'm sure they're thinking hard about this.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 01:06:38 pm »
I am very interested to see this new Genesis.  The details sound promising.  Pricing is decent.  62k in a Hyundai is like 80k in a E-class from what it looks like.

The dealership and service experience needs to improve, especially with the skeevy GoAuto dealers around here.

At least their shop rate will be lower the other luxury divisions
Where the CUV to face off with Q5, X5,QX, and RX ?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 06:34:05 pm »

At least their shop rate will be lower the other luxury divisions
Where the CUV to face off with Q5, X5,QX, and RX ?

As long as its not called a "X Genesis"

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 06:34:35 pm »
the best part of going there is checking out the nice hardware.

Not sure if metal

Or silicone