Author Topic: Top Picks: 2014 Toronto Auto Show (CIAS) Highlights  (Read 11238 times)

Offline firewired

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Mazda3 Sport GT, 2010 Audi A3 2.0T, 2013 Scion FR-S
Re: Top Picks: 2014 Toronto Auto Show (CIAS) Highlights
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 10:56:03 pm »
I do not go every year, no.  I went last year on my own and was very under-whelmed by it all.  This year I dragged a friend along, and I think that had much to do with enjoying the show, being able to converse with like-minded people intelligently about what is on display brings it all into context.  He and I are still stick-heads, and we continue to fight the good fight to save the manuals even though we know it is a losing fight.  We can delay the death of manuals but that is about the best we can hope for.

I did overhear a lot of people whining about price on just about every display.  I just shook my head.  Clearly these people only buy new, or they would not be so concerned about the prices.

It is quite scary to overhear how little most people know about cars despite the expense of buying, leasing, owning, ensuring, licensing, and maintaining the things.  One would think people who do their homework.  Some do, but not the majority I think.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 12:20:17 am »
I do not go every year, no.  I went last year on my own and was very under-whelmed by it all.  This year I dragged a friend along, and I think that had much to do with enjoying the show, being able to converse with like-minded people intelligently about what is on display brings it all into context.  He and I are still stick-heads, and we continue to fight the good fight to save the manuals even though we know it is a losing fight.  We can delay the death of manuals but that is about the best we can hope for.

I did overhear a lot of people whining about price on just about every display.  I just shook my head.  Clearly these people only buy new, or they would not be so concerned about the prices.

It is quite scary to overhear how little most people know about cars despite the expense of buying, leasing, owning, ensuring, licensing, and maintaining the things.  One would think people who do their homework.  Some do, but not the majority I think.

Wow you like your Mazdas.....

You'll fit right in here.  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 11:15:16 am »
I think it's completely unrealistic to expect reps/sales reps to have more product knowledge than we do. We (car guys/gals) spend ridiculous amounts of time online pouring over spec details of the vehicle that we're interested in (it's a disfunction really). The reps are sales people, they spend time in sales training and need working knowledge of the entire lineup and a basic understanding of many completing models. Since the internet was invented I think I've had more knowledge about the cars I'm shopping than any salesperson I've met – same for you guys. And, that's just fine with me, I don't need product knowledge for my sales rep, I need transaction assistance.

Sales reps have more than enough info for the average Joe/Jill car buyer...and the internet has the rest.

...haters might just be looking for things to lambaste reps about.

Northernridge

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 11:28:14 am »
I think it's completely unrealistic to expect reps/sales reps to have more product knowledge than we do. We (car guys/gals) spend ridiculous amounts of time online pouring over spec details of the vehicle that we're interested in (it's a disfunction really). The reps are sales people, they spend time in sales training and need working knowledge of the entire lineup and a basic understanding of many completing models. Since the internet was invented I think I've had more knowledge about the cars I'm shopping than any salesperson I've met – same for you guys. And, that's just fine with me, I don't need product knowledge for my sales rep, I need transaction assistance.

Sales reps have more than enough info for the average Joe/Jill car buyer...and the internet has the rest.

...haters might just be looking for things to lambaste reps about.

Ahhhh, Let's all embrace mediocrity!   The sales rep didn't even know what an E-tron was and it was sitting on the stand 10 ft away.

Hater...look at your smite count.  ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 12:35:16 pm »
Ahaahahahaha.  oh boy.  are we in high school?  i don't care if people like hearing the truth or not.  the audi area and the volvo area were full of nitwits who were clueless.  they are running a business.  they should present a professional image.  funny, they rep at the hyundai stand knew his product inside and out.  he also appeared to be quite up to date with all of the competing products as well.

Are you really that surprised?? The turnaround rate in most dealerships is huge plus now with huge dealership umbrella corporations, Go Auto and such, that own every brand under the sun and have salesmen go from one dealer to another, do you really think that guy knows all the answers within the week hes been there?? I have always had a superior knowledge of the product I am going to see because I put in the time to research it, I dont expect the guy to know towing/hauling capacities or if it comes with skidplates. As far as Im concerned hes there to facilitate the financial transaction and work for me to get me a good deal, thats it.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 02:11:25 pm »
i was talking about the simplest of questions.  the volvo guy kept telling us the 4 cylinder v60 wasn't out yet while he was standing in front of it at the show.  the audi guy didn't know that the new sport back on the display was an e-tron.  i'm not expecting these people to be technically inclined but they should know what models and packages are available and when.  (sooooo, pay 18 bucks to talk to clowns?)

by the way, the VW, BMW and Porsche reps were very knowledgable.  lightyears ahead of the competition.

I also find that with many MB reps.  Most of the time they know their own product inside and out, and then they know the competitions product better than the competition does.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 02:15:23 pm »
Have to agree with Kevlar on this one. I see the auto show the same as going to any trade show. You are trying to sell a product to somebody so you better send your best people to inform the public.

I had a few free hours today so I went back again. To add to the fire these are the things I was told today.

A3 is coming with TDI Quattro.  I look down at the board and ask, why didn't they list it here.

Q3 will get the 2.0T with 197hp/201tq. I asked why would it get a more detuned engine than the rest of their cars. Simple, that is what is on the board and then he read the top about how these are Euro cars for display only.

V60 is the new V70. I said but they still make a V70 and was told, this is only for Canada. To top it off this same salesman started to explain to me what the difference is between a sedan and wagon. Then he started to talk about the D4 engine we have here. I almost went nuts at that point.

There are only three different models for the V60, 4 cyl, 5cyl and Polestar. Again that is wrong.

Still at the Volvo booth, I ask do you have any paper info that lists all the details about the V60 because the website does not have it while the USA does. She (different person that dumb salesman above) says its all listed on the tablets in front of the car and you can just take a picture of it. Well NO it isn't....How can a car company not keep information updated in today's world.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 03:20:01 pm »
I went last night - it was dead, which was kind of nice, but I found the show to be smaller than in previous years and the lack of anything to drive was a bit of an irritant.  I miss MB's driving track!

I checked out a lot of vehicles, listened to a lot of stupid reps, and had fun playing a game on an iPad in the 2015 Golf.

Most vehicles just disappointed me in one way or another, but I'm shocked to hear so many say that cars were locked - I sat in the Audi S3, Porsche Macan and 911, among others.  I was hugely disappointed with the GLA, CLA, and S3 as the interiors seem so, so cheap.  Size is just right for me, but the interiors felt so flimsy.

I found the Maserati Ghibli to be the biggest let-down - if anyone goes from now on, the hood struts on the right of the car (facing forward) is broken and the hood won't sit flush anymore.  Wow, Maserati, wow.

The WRX STI was much better in person than I had expected, but the WRX needs a bit more.  Maybe it's just the rear wing, but the STI looked better.

*yawn* just thinking about the auto show in hindsight makes me bored.  LET US DRIVE STUFF AGAIN!

Offline firewired

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Mazda3 Sport GT, 2010 Audi A3 2.0T, 2013 Scion FR-S
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 11:42:08 am »

Wow you like your Mazdas.....

You'll fit right in here.  ;D

Heh.  I figure if I have to drive I might as well enjoy it.  Cars for me are still like a good amusement park ride - they should be enjoyable if I am going to spend my money on them.  I miss my 1993 Eagle Talon though - that was my favourite car to-date;  I have many fond memories of that car, and some not-so-fond (like the day I locked the keys in it in the rain, while it was running, at a gas station air-stand to top up the tires... and they did not need topping up either... ugh).

Oh, and for the discussion about sales reps not knowing their stuff - they darn well should know.  It is their job to know their product better than anyone not associated with their company, even more so for high-ticket products.  Case in point:  I cannot go to work and not know I.T. better than my clients, or I will not get their business.  I am having a difficult time with this generation of workers... complaining about not having a job, not getting experience, and yet when they get one they take little or no pride in actually doing it well or learning all they can to do it well and apply their knowledge and experience creatively for future jobs/careers.  Must be too busy reading their tweets and facebook updates I guess.  Not a universal truth of course, but I see this same behaviour from people in my own office.  *Sigh* The signs are there... I am middle-aged and getting older.  I will make way for the new gen of people, and not-so-quietly drive off into the sunset on a winding road with the top down....

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 10:39:09 pm »
I am having a difficult time with this generation of workers... complaining about not having a job, not getting experience, and yet when they get one they take little or no pride in actually doing it well or learning all they can to do it well and apply their knowledge and experience creatively for future jobs/careers.  Must be too busy reading their tweets and facebook updates I guess.  Not a universal truth of course, but I see this same behaviour from people in my own office.  *Sigh* The signs are there... I am middle-aged and getting older.  I will make way for the new gen of people, and not-so-quietly drive off into the sunset on a winding road with the top down....

Actually, I'm starting to see the trend reverse. I saw this too for a number of years. But now the good jobs, especially permanent ones, are getting harder to find. Now I see some youth who are 'hungry', smart, and put in many hours of work to get ahead. Including biting their tongue and taking on the harder tasks that the lazier ones don't want. It's harder work, but they know it will develop them and make them more skilled.

So some of the youth are impressing me these days. :)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 10:07:33 am »
[quote author=AP link=topic=86905.msg973889#msg973889 date=
I'd have to say that I am luke warm over the styling of the '15 Mustang.  I liked it better from pictures than the physical rendition at the Auto Show.  The Fusion-esque front end doesn't seem to flow quite right.
[/quote]

I have yet to see one in the flesh, but get the same impression from the pictures I've seen so far.  The rounded back end looks odd to me as well.  I'd love to test drive one though as it still seems to be a relative bargain and nice to hear it has a real suspension now. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:27:22 am by KarlsDarwin »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 10:14:42 am »
I'd have to say that I am luke warm over the styling of the '15 Mustang.  I liked it better from pictures than the physical rendition at the Auto Show.  The Fusion-esque front end doesn't seem to flow quite right.
Yes, the same was noticed at the Detroit show earlier this year and commented on. It seemed like the front 1/3 does not match the back 2/3.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 11:19:14 am »
Ford should have taken the design of the new Mustang further (completely) away from the retro look.

Northernridge

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 12:06:35 pm »
The new Mustang is receiving no love for it's looks. Hope it performs.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 11:43:13 pm »
I thought it looked rather nice, actually…but it's looking mightily wide, heavy, and I'm hoping that new looks and independent rear suspension aren't the only new things.

I still don't see the draw of the 2.3T.  With similar power to the 3.6L, I'd rather have the smoothness and sound of the V6 (and save several grand as not 'opting' for the 'ecoboost').