Author Topic: RUMOUR: 2016 Toyota Tundra Will Get Cummins Diesel Power  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
RUMOUR: 2016 Toyota Tundra Will Get Cummins Diesel Power
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:40:30 am »

5.0-litre turbodiesel set for Nissan Titan will find its way in next Toyota Tundra

Read More...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: RUMOUR: 2016 Toyota Tundra Will Get Cummins Diesel Power
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:46:33 am »
Fully redesigned in 2016 the article says, so a nine year model life.  Too long  :-\.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:54 am »
Sad to see that Toyota's status is now firmly entrenched as "follower", rather than leader. It is, however, GREAT to see that the diesel option is starting to take hold in NA. Thanks Dodge, GM, VW. Maybe Mazda will eventually follow.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 10:31:37 am »
Sad to see that Toyota's status is now firmly entrenched as "follower", rather than leader. It is, however, GREAT to see that the diesel option is starting to take hold in NA. Thanks Dodge, GM, VW. Maybe Mazda will eventually follow.

And if they bring the diesel Mazda6 here quick enough, it will be eligible for Canadian Car of the Year again.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 10:36:29 am »

And if they bring the diesel Mazda6 here quick enough, it will be eligible for Canadian Car of the Year again.

;D

Offline babstude

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:02:22 pm »
I'm surprised toyota would put an american powerplant in it's own truck.  The cummins has a million gigawatts of power but it's rubbish compared to the long lasting fine diesels that toyota already have ?? Particularly in their Hino division ??

maybe it's all about marketing - north americans know all about cummins so maybe that's the angle they are running with

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:04:18 pm »
I call BS.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »
I'm surprised toyota would put an american powerplant in it's own truck.  The cummins has a million gigawatts of power but it's rubbish compared to the long lasting fine diesels that toyota already have ?? Particularly in their Hino division ??

maybe it's all about marketing - north americans know all about cummins so maybe that's the angle they are running with

Well, considering Cummins already has an engine available, plus the Tundra is built in Texas an nowhere else, it makes logical sense. If Hino were to provide the engines, I am guessing they would have to be assembled in Japan.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 02:13:52 pm »

Well, considering Cummins already has an engine available, plus the Tundra is built in Texas an nowhere else, it makes logical sense. If Hino were to provide the engines, I am guessing they would have to be assembled in Japan.

Pretty much, but the article even mentions it could be short lived as Toyota is considering picking up the development of a new diesel with Hino that could power a Tundra.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »

Toyota and the rest of the pickup makers all had plans to introduce light duty diesels in and around 2009. They all scrapped their plans because the engines they had planned on using were too expensive and they couldn't make the business case. Ford had a 4.4L V8 that eventually went to Range Rover, GM showed a 4.5L at the SEMA show in 2007, this Cummins 5.0L was originally developed with the intent of using it in the Ram 1500.

This latest move to diesel engines is being forced by the changes to CAFE standards, but diesels are subject to even higher emissions standards, making them more expensive again. That's one reason why Chrysler is using the MV Motori V6. Ford may or may not use the Lion 3.0L V6, but they are using the Duratorq 5 cylinder in their Transit, GM is considering the 2.8L four cylinder from the Colorado coupled to the ten speed for the Silverado/Sierra.

Resurrecting the Hino project would be more expensive than sharing the Cummins with Nissan, an engine already developed and with a good brand reputation. I have my doubts that this will come to fruition though.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »
Toyota and the rest of the pickup makers all had plans to introduce light duty diesels in and around 2009. They all scrapped their plans because the engines they had planned on using were too expensive and they couldn't make the business case.

Toyota terminated their diesel desires in the USA because the economy was near collapse and they were under a multi, multi, billion dollar assault from Obama Motors over UA.  Just this month the US Government is trying to collect another 1 BILLION in criminal penalties.  ::)    Chrysler and GM couldn't even make a business case to stay in business, other than BANKRUTCY.  Ford were still selling that junk called Navistar which was a mega disaster in itself.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 03:12:16 pm »
Toyota and the rest of the pickup makers all had plans to introduce light duty diesels in and around 2009. They all scrapped their plans because the engines they had planned on using were too expensive and they couldn't make the business case.

Toyota terminated their diesel desires in the USA because the economy was near collapse and they were under a multi, multi, billion dollar assault from Obama Motors over UA.  Just this month the US Government is trying to collect another 1 BILLION in criminal penalties.  ::)    Chrysler and GM couldn't even make a business case to stay in business, other than BANKRUTCY.  Ford were still selling that junk called Navistar which was a mega disaster in itself.

Tell yourself whatever you want.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 03:14:04 pm »

Rubbish?  Not sure where you're getting that from.  Cummins engines are extremely durable and have a long history. 

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 03:39:29 pm »

Pretty much, but the article even mentions it could be short lived as Toyota is considering picking up the development of a new diesel with Hino that could power a Tundra.

If they can sell enough diesels in order to justify putting the same engine in say...the Sequoia...and a few of the lighter duty Hinos, it makes sense. If they are going to stick with just one model (Tundra) getting the diesel, which is only a North American product, makes sense to stay with Cummins.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 06:14:26 pm »

If they can sell enough diesels in order to justify putting the same engine in say...the Sequoia...and a few of the lighter duty Hinos, it makes sense. If they are going to stick with just one model (Tundra) getting the diesel, which is only a North American product, makes sense to stay with Cummins.

Agreed.  They need to have the one diesel fitted to various vehicles in order for it to be viable to develop.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »

Rubbish?  Not sure where you're getting that from.  Cummins engines are extremely durable and have a long history.

I was just going to comment the same thing. The Cummins was a great and sturdy design, one of those 500,000+ km engines....what you are referring to is that mold growth thats usually attached to it called a Dodge Ram  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 06:17:43 pm »

I was just going to comment the same thing. The Cummins was a great and sturdy design, one of those 500,000+ km engines....what you are referring to is that mold growth thats usually attached to it called a Dodge Ram  ;D

Lol.  Yup.  The 500k+ km engine in a 100k- truck

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 06:44:10 pm »
hey now! those dodges.... i'd say a 200km truck....

at least now with all the advances in bodies and stuff, the trucks are now 250km trucks... too bad the engines also got new tech... so they are 350km engines.

the gap is closing!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 06:46:01 pm »
hey now! those dodges.... i'd say a 200km truck....

at least now with all the advances in bodies and stuff, the trucks are now 250km trucks... too bad the engines also got new tech... so they are 350km engines.

the gap is closing!
BS,
all truck are 500,000 km easy, if we did not get bored and want a new one  ;D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 06:50:32 pm »
yeah... i just like to hit 200 then not touch the fluids.... see what happens...

not seriously of course.

hell, new 4 bangers are 300km+ vehicles, engine and body it would seem.