Author Topic: Ottawa And Ontario Government In Talks With Chrysler Regarding 'Unprecedented' Investment  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Chrysler could receive approximately $460 million from tax payers to update Windsor plant

Read More...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
How about the Canadian government just buy a controlling interest in the company so we don't get threats of closure every few years?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
How about the Canadian government just buy a controlling interest in the company so we don't get threats of closure every few years?

Then you'd get half the country saying we have no place owning an automaker. Also, a lot of other countries would cry foul over trade agreements which probably disallow such a thing.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)

What, so they can muck up another business?  My opinion is that they should stay out of businesses such as these.  In fact, if they want to offer funding, offer small businesses equivalent amounts of funding.  Small business is what really drives the economy and you don't have all your eggs in one basket so to speak (I.e. large corps that hire lots create a big mess when they shut down).

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile

What, so they can muck up another business?  My opinion is that they should stay out of businesses such as these.  In fact, if they want to offer funding, offer small businesses equivalent amounts of funding.  Small business is what really drives the economy and you don't have all your eggs in one basket so to speak (I.e. large corps that hire lots create a big mess when they shut down).

Based on Chrysler's history, the government wouldn't have done any worse.

Agree totally on big business, versus small.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile

Then you'd get half the country saying we have no place owning an automaker. Also, a lot of other countries would cry foul over trade agreements which probably disallow such a thing.

It's time to start pulling out of trade agreements that benefit countries that only pay $5/day.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
seems like lil Fix It Again Tony CEO is lookin' fer more HANDOUTS...he wasn't content stealing
Chrysler for $6 Billion.....................Sergio Leone! ;) :D didn't he make those Clint
 Eastwood westerns for peanuts..... :rofl2: ..ooh Marchione....a cowboy of another stripe.... :'( :popo:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:03:04 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
I think I'd rather make some quite secret inquiries of Ford, Honda and Toyota what they would offer for the long term for $460MM and then let Chrysler go if I got a good answer.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
I think I'd rather make some quite secret inquiries of Ford, Honda and Toyota what they would offer for the long term for $460MM and then let Chrysler go if I got a good answer.

The only problem with this is a political one - the current government has already shored up their support in Ford and Toyota areas, they don't want to ostracize those working for Chrysler and living in Windsor. It would cause many in the region to say "You helped them. Why didn't you help us?"

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos

The only problem with this is a political one - the current government has already shored up their support in Ford and Toyota areas, they don't want to ostracize those working for Chrysler and living in Windsor. It would cause many in the region to say "You helped them. Why didn't you help us?"
That is why I said secret.   The gov can make up all kinds of reasons for delaying any decision on Chrysler while they do stuff in the darkness.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)

Yup.  Which why in the first place they shouldn't be helping these giants with tax dollars.  If they can't figure out how to survive, they need to go away.  Survival of the fittest.

Like I said earlier, the funding should go to small businesses as they really are the economic engine.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
How about the government stop subsidizing car companies and put the money into more modern industries?  The car companies are playing off governments around the world for subsidies.  This makes cars cheaper, but the cost is being borne by everyone, not just the people buying the cars.  What happened to "user pay"?

Didn't the Australian government just tell Fiat/Chrysler to take a hike when they tried the same shakedown there?
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
First of all I'd like to congratulate Autos.ca for including articles like this which help us understand the
nitty gritty details of how the modern Auto Industry works.

Without an Auto Pact to promote domestic manufacturing companies are free to extort as much
corporate welfare as they can.

Any CEO who is not prepared to hold a gun to the heads of Federal, Provincial and Local governments is probably going to find him/herself out of a job and summarily replaced by a more ruthless executive.

The sentimental fact that Canadians and Ontarians helped save Chrysler a couple of years ago means nothing
in this brave new world of powerful corporations and weak governments who have sacrificed national sovereignty at the alter of free trade.

Finally, the recent example of mega-profitable Boeing bleeding the State of Washington and their workforce dry
is there to show this is happening in all industries.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
No threats says Sergio, but if you don't ante up there's other damn fools in other countries ready to cave in and give me money to make minivans.

Now earlier this week just before the federal budget came out, there was a flood of news stories that the Competition Bureau was going to be told to investigate the difference between US and Canadian pricing.

This must have caused stirrings of unease at federal bureaucrat water cooler and coffee stations. What, actual work? Just before fully-funded retirement? Because not much has been heard of the idea since. It's too logical.

Anyway, if I were in charge, I'd tell Sergio here's your money. Only one condition. You must charge the same price for Chrysler vehicles in Canada as in the States. No excuses, no whining, no pleading special conditions, only variation due to the Loonie versus greenback value. Now, get on with it.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted

Harponi The Magnificent will spend any amount of this country's treasure to get re-elected.  Historically, this is a common practice, but these despots know no limits.  Even the worst Finance Ministry in Canadian and Ontario history, JIMBO, is finally drawing a line in the snow vis-à-vis targeted income splitting for targeted groups.

Sergo will get his $$$$ and then some.