Author Topic: Couche-Tard Station In Quebec Has Gas Tank Mistakenly Filled With Diesel  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Retailer will reimburse all affected customers for repairs, rental vehicles

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Couche-Tard Station In Quebec Has Gas Tank Mistakenly Filled With Diesel
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:03:02 am »
I wonder...what % of diesel on could have in gas and vice-versa and have the engine still run well enough and safely.  I'd intuit that a gas engine ( not DI tho) could live with 10-15% albeit smokily and a diesel with perhaps 10% at most.

Reading further the gas engine would run or not but the diesel could be damaged, possibly severely even at only 10%.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1206
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:08:44 am »
At least they got the diesel fuel for far less than the regular price  . 25 cents more than regular gas these days around here; that is insane.  :o

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:20:44 am »
Only $450 to tow and repair that damage?  That's it?  I think they may have forgotten a zero there. 

And yes, the price of diesel is insane.  Regular is sitting at $1.33 while diesel has hit $1.58!  That pretty much offsets the fuel savings (50 liter tank, paying almost $13 more). 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:11 am »
Only $450 to tow and repair that damage?  That's it?  I think they may have forgotten a zero there. 

And yes, the price of diesel is insane.  Regular is sitting at $1.33 while diesel has hit $1.58!  That pretty much offsets the fuel savings (50 liter tank, paying almost $13 more).

I wondered about that repair cost too. 20 years ago we had a new MB towed in after filling up with bad gas ( full of water,rust and other crap) As I recall the repair involved replacing much of the fuel system and the bill was many thousands. Maybe diesel doesn't do that much damage?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1206
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:39:38 am »
Diesel in a gas engine should really do no damage. Of course the engine will stall and you need to change the fuel filter and flush the whole fuel delivery system but that's about it.

Gas in a diesel engine is another story however..

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 10:52:51 am »
When I was a youngin' I put gas in Dad's diesel garden tractor (not totally my fault, someone put gas in the jerry can marked "diesel").  Tractor ran, albeit very roughly.  No damage was caused, just a flush of the fuel system was required.  The tractor was fairly new at the time and I remember how nervous I felt that I had wreched Dad's pride and joy  :rofl2:

That John Deere 332 still runs great some 25 years later.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:11:45 am »
When I worked at Ford it was a few times a month that a very embarrassed lady would get towed in because she had mistakenly put gas in her husbands diesel truck.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 12:56:42 pm »

Regular 1.08, Diesel 1.34 here.  However, diesel is much less expensive than regular in summer months so it is a wash most years.  This year has been particulary cold and it's reflected in diesel and nat gas prices.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 07:36:24 pm »
My 1980 Dodge Diplomat (with the Slant 6) was never quite the same after the guy delivering fuel to
the gas station pumped Diesel in the tank where the 89 Octane gasoline was supposed to go.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »
My maternal grandparents lived in NB for a while (near Edmunston), and would come visit us in Montreal.  They were Austrian, and always drove VW diesel engines.  Somewhere around Rivière-du-Loup one time, the resident dingus at the gas station put regular gas into the tank.  This was in the days of full service (am I the only one who remembers that?).  I was young in those days, but I will always remember the time that Opa's car was ruined for that reason, and they didn't make it for their summer visit because of "car trouble."   

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 09:55:21 pm »
My maternal grandparents lived in NB for a while (near Edmunston), and would come visit us in Montreal.  They were Austrian, and always drove VW diesel engines.  Somewhere around Rivière-du-Loup one time, the resident dingus at the gas station put regular gas into the tank.  This was in the days of full service (am I the only one who remembers that?).  I was young in those days, but I will always remember the time that Opa's car was ruined for that reason, and they didn't make it for their summer visit because of "car trouble."   

How old ARE you?   :rofl2:

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...