Author Topic: AJAC Canadian Car of the Year: By the Numbers ' Mazda's Triple Win  (Read 19185 times)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
Re: AJAC Canadian Car of the Year: By the Numbers ' Mazda's Triple Win
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 04:01:07 pm »
Mazdas don't do as well in the US as Canada but I thought it would do better too. Maybe being a new model there are supply issues.  I'll be curious to see the number for the whole year. 

Mazdas don't sell in the USA because Mazda distribution is terminally weak.  "Mazda"  keeps telling the industry that it is going to revamp their dealer network.  The question is; with what $$$?  Compared to the big boys, Mazda is the extremely poor cousin.  They can't compete on the marketing and incentive side of the business.  No USA production.  They're doomed.

President's day is coming.  The promotions from the big players will be relentless due to an major over supply of vehicles and last all month.

I wouldn't say they are doomed. Lots of car companies do quite well and sell few or no cars in the US.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 04:32:43 pm »
Only in Canada can you have the Mazda3 compete and win in two categories.

:rofl2: Well said.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 01:15:55 am »
I don't know if it's a supply issue, but despite all the awards and accolades, the new Mazda3 and Mazda6 aren't exactly flying off the lots. Edmind's LT Mazda3 Sport left them stranded with a slushbox problem - we're still waiting for an update on what went wrong (software or hardware).
You worried? Based on that one instance you should tell the world that new Mazda3 are unreliable.
http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda3/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-mazda-mazda3-check-engine-light-is-off.html
Loose battery cable. Don't buy one because a loose battery cable means the engine is problematic.
 >:(
Issue is overblown.
Rust issue is said to be resolved. 8 year rust perforation warranty, one (not tops) of longest in car brands.

And what can we say about reliability
http://m.autoblog.com/2014/02/05/lexus-mazda-win-kbb-5-year-cost-own-awards/?post=5&icid=autoblog_river_article

Man mazda can't get a break in perception.

Also on a side note, I think people overthink themselves. If a car is beautiful then they might worry more if it gets damaged, but if its ugly (like say the new Subaru) maybe people won't care as much if it gets damaged. I mean why standout for thieves (and people who like to break nice things).
Settle for ugly and they won't care about it and leave the car alone.
IMO of course.

Offline Steve C

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Mazda 3 Sport
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 06:47:32 am »
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 with the 2.5 engine. It's been a reliable car to drive, although fuel efficiency is poor. I was following the development of the new 6 and 3 with the intent of moving into one sooner than later. I was pretty impressed that the new 2.5 engine put out 184 horsepower and got respectable fuel economy. It looked like a huge improvement over the old 2.5. However, I was disappointed and frankly pretty pissed off when I saw how they packaged the 2.5 engine in only the highest end model, costing about $27,000 for the hatch! I can buy an Accord Sport for $1000 less! Anyone who had a 2.5 and wanted another one is most likely walking away when they see that pricing. I know I did. Now, 2.5 owners have to go to a 2.0 engine to get the same priced vehicle as before. Why not look elsewhere when finance rates and incentives are the same at Honda and Toyota?

Also, I'm not seeing any 3s or 6s on the road. I'm looking but you never see them. The Civic EX is just too good a deal as is the Accord LX and Sport. I wanted a Mazda but they just aren't competitive with other makers, as good looking as they are.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 11:17:30 am »
Circulating the air helps keep the windshield clear, adding a bit of heat even more so. AC isn't required to keep the windshield clear for most of the year.

Ummm.  No.  Recirculating the air helps to keep building up moisture from the people present in the vehicle.  Most HVAC systems in cars turn of recirculate when they are switched to defrost mode.

My first car did not have AC and did a good job of keeping the windshield clear by bringing in fresh air and using heat.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 11:39:41 am »
Circulating the air helps keep the windshield clear, adding a bit of heat even more so. AC isn't required to keep the windshield clear for most of the year.

Ummm.  No.  Recirculating the air helps to keep building up moisture from the people present in the vehicle.  Most HVAC systems in cars turn of recirculate when they are switched to defrost mode.

My first car did not have AC and did a good job of keeping the windshield clear by bringing in fresh air and using heat.

I didn't say recirculate. I meant circulating fresh air through the defroster without AC. My first new car with air conditioning was in 2005. I had been driving on the East coast since 1983. Defrost works fine in almost all conditions.

I only used recirculate to help heat the cabin faster, then would switch to outside air as soon as the heater was producing some heat.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 12:11:07 pm »
How the heck are you supposed to climb out the windows, especially the rears, if the car rolls?

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 01:17:28 pm »
i can't tell.. is that serious or not?

i'm sure not buying a car based on how easy it will be to climb out a window if i get in an accident... and it rolls over... and the doors are stuck shut... and i put on a few pounds.

i think its quite good looking. i'd be pushing this direction for any friends in the market for a new compact.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 03:12:52 pm »
Consumer preferences differ widely.  Universally, however, most consumers care little for 'fastest 80-120 times' etc.

But some do, which is why they're part of our scoring system-- albeit the acceleration scores are weighted less than in other categories where the consumer is more likely to value performance.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 03:49:11 pm »
i can't tell.. is that serious or not?

Half-serious.  ;D  Still, those rear door windows are tiny, too small in my opinion.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 05:03:32 pm »
gotcha!

ya never know... i get people not buying cars for the craziest of reasons.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 05:07:31 pm »
How the heck are you supposed to climb out the windows, especially the rears, if the car rolls?

Use the really big one in the front....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 05:17:45 pm »

Such is the farce of AJAC!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 07:00:28 pm »

I didn't say recirculate. I meant circulating fresh air through the defroster without AC. My first new car with air conditioning was in 2005. I had been driving on the East coast since 1983. Defrost works fine in almost all conditions.

I only used recirculate to help heat the cabin faster, then would switch to outside air as soon as the heater was producing some heat.

Ahh.  Sorry, totally misunderstood you there.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 07:16:33 pm »

Ahh.  Sorry, totally misunderstood you there.

No problem. Writing that post, I realized I've been driving for 31 years. I'm old as dirt!  :P ;D

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 08:52:31 pm »

Such is the farce of AJAC!

I fail to see how it's a farce.  From the reviews I've read it's clearly the best small car on the market. Two versions were entered and both one their categories. 

Seems simple enough.

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 01:36:10 pm »
Surely, if it's such a farce, you must have driven all competitors in these two classes back to back, evaluated them on the same basis, factored in numerous other elements and come up with a different vehicle you'd call the best. Share it with us?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 02:50:47 pm »
agree... though i take these results with a grain of salt (as i do every review/test/article), if it meets the criteria to fit in both categories and they choose to send two cars, i see no problem with them both winning...

if the corolla and the matrix were both new one year, they can both win right? so the name is what matters i guess to some people.

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 03:11:36 pm »
agree... though i take these results with a grain of salt (as i do every review/test/article), if it meets the criteria to fit in both categories and they choose to send two cars, i see no problem with them both winning...

if the corolla and the matrix were both new one year, they can both win right? so the name is what matters i guess to some people.

in most cases, different body styles qualify as different models under our process. So yes, a new corolla and matrix could very well be entered side by side

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 03:14:46 pm »
yeah, exactly. just to keep these haters happy, i guess we need to call them the mazda3 and the mazdacx3. then they'll understand they are not the exact same car.