Author Topic: AJAC Canadian Car of the Year: By the Numbers ' Mazda's Triple Win  (Read 19206 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Scores for style, performance and value help Mazda earn three category wins in AJAC's Canadian Car of the Year awards.

Read More...

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: AJAC Canadian Car of the Year: By the Numbers ' Mazda's Triple Win
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:25:06 pm »
I don't know if it's a supply issue, but despite all the awards and accolades, the new Mazda3 and Mazda6 aren't exactly flying off the lots. Edmind's LT Mazda3 Sport left them stranded with a slushbox problem - we're still waiting for an update on what went wrong (software or hardware).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:35:38 pm »
Consumer preferences differ widely.  Universally, however, most consumers care little for 'fastest 80-120 times' etc.

...which car is easy to drive, cheap, and gives me good value (and reputation for quality).  That's the equation that has helped the Civic and Corolla move so many units.

Mazda has sought to appeal to the driving enjoyment at the expense of outward visibility, polarizing style, and a volume package that is a bit more expensive than its competitors.  Often I hear, "well, if I can get a Mazda3 for $20,200, why would I choose that over a Corolla for $19,500?"  You've got to be priced at or below the benchmark and appeal to what consumers actually want.

The Corolla's LED headlights are universally praised - a brilliant move by Toyota.  The Civic having a backup camera and heated seats in the LX trim?  Conservative and smart move.  Kia/Hyundai are doing very well with their value propositions as well.  Mazda offers better driving dynamics...*cricket cricket*

If I were to replace my Corolla, I'd get another one or an Impreza (for its AWD).  The Civic is too expensive to insure and has harsh suspension, and the Mazda3 is narrow (tight interior dimensions) and feels cheap to me.

Mazda appeals very well to those who objectively view car sales.  Unfortunately for sales numbers, most consumers purchase based on subjective desires, not which car is the 'best'...objectively.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:58:57 pm »
...and we've said it a billion times, Mazda needs to rebuild its rep with the general public, who associates "Mazda" with "rust".

If they did improve rust protection with the new cars, well they should say it loud and clear by beefing up the corrosion warranty. They sure reversed the mindset for their past lackluster fuel economy, but now they have to attack the rust issue.

Otherwise, we may lose the last "non-beige" econocars (C&D even predicted doom for Mazda).

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:00:51 pm »
The Mazda3 has always been one of the top selling cars in Canada.  It's right in there with the Civic, Corolla and Elantra and when you consider they have less dealerships that's pretty good.   If more people would test drive cars instead of just buying what they had before or what they heard was good it might be number 1.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:19:11 pm »
...and we've said it a billion times, Mazda needs to rebuild its rep with the general public, who associates "Mazda" with "rust".

I would suggest that they need to have heated seats on the GX, or lower the price of the GS auto by $1,000 (otherwise it's $1,300 more than a comparative volume-model Corolla).

I'd like to see the proportion of new vehicles sold without A/C - most don't offer a model without any more.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 02:39:24 pm »

I would suggest that they need to have heated seats on the GX, or lower the price of the GS auto by $1,000 (otherwise it's $1,300 more than a comparative volume-model Corolla).

I'd like to see the proportion of new vehicles sold without A/C - most don't offer a model without any more.

I know quite a few people who don't have AC.  Surprising considering how cars have made it standard.  Many more who have A/C that quit and they haven't fixed it.  For the more then 2.5 million people who live in the Vancouver area it's almost never needed. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 02:49:26 pm »
For the more then 2.5 million people who live in the Vancouver area it's almost never needed.

It's always need in cities due to the excessive vehicle noise.  It's the rural areas that you can do without.

I have no doubt that the Mazda 3 is the best car in the segment.  But the Mazda 6 is a fail in the market sense. 

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 03:06:36 pm »
For the more then 2.5 million people who live in the Vancouver area it's almost never needed.

It's always need in cities due to the excessive vehicle noise.  It's the rural areas that you can do without.

I have no doubt that the Mazda 3 is the best car in the segment.  But the Mazda 6 is a fail in the market sense.

Huh? Noise?   What does AC have to do with noise?

Shame the 6 doesn't do better, the 1st gen was a great car the 2nd was decent and the 3rd is the best in its class.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 03:07:36 pm »
I know quite a few people who don't have AC.  Surprising considering how cars have made it standard.  Many more who have A/C that quit and they haven't fixed it.  For the more then 2.5 million people who live in the Vancouver area it's almost never needed.
A/C is not used only for cooling but also for drying up the air in the car.
Surprising but Canada is much bigger than Vancouver. In GTA where we have more than 5 million people A/C is needed  ;D
Bombastic

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:11:27 pm »

I don't understand how the front defogger works without the a/c compressor to remove moisture?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 03:13:53 pm »
The 3's sales were down year over year. Some of that is weather related, some of it is supply issues. But considering the accolades, it should be doing better in the US. Being outsold by the Versa and Sonic is not a good start.

The AJAC seems flakier than usual this year.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:16:33 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »
A/C is not used only for cooling but also for drying up the air in the car.
Surprising but Canada is much bigger than Vancouver. In GTA where we have more than 5 million people A/C is needed  ;D

Just trying to explain Canada is a lot bigger then the GTA.   My comment was in response to one that suggested all cars should have AC.  I was just reminding people that the are million of Canadians who don't need it.  It should always be an option but people shouldn't be forced to pay for it.

And I've noticed no noticeable difference in car with or without AC when it come to defogging. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 03:17:30 pm »
Circulating the air helps keep the windshield clear, adding a bit of heat even more so. AC isn't required to keep the windshield clear for most of the year.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 03:23:14 pm »

I don't understand how the front defogger works without the a/c compressor to remove moisture?

Look up dew point.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 03:31:14 pm »
The 3's sales were down year over year. Some of that is weather related, some of it is supply issues. But considering the accolades, it should be doing better in the US. Being outsold by the Versa and Sonic is not a good start.

The AJAC seems flakier than usual this year.

Mazdas don't do as well in the US as Canada but I thought it would do better too. Maybe being a new model there are supply issues.  I'll be curious to see the number for the whole year. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 03:32:46 pm »

Shame the 6 doesn't do better, the 1st gen was a great car the 2nd was decent and the 3rd is the best in its class.

Ok, traffic noise then as in buses, trucks, and all that other urban racket.  Don't travel much?  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 03:43:46 pm »
Mazdas don't do as well in the US as Canada but I thought it would do better too. Maybe being a new model there are supply issues.  I'll be curious to see the number for the whole year. 

Mazdas don't sell in the USA because Mazda distribution is terminally weak.  "Mazda"  keeps telling the industry that it is going to revamp their dealer network.  The question is; with what $$$?  Compared to the big boys, Mazda is the extremely poor cousin.  They can't compete on the marketing and incentive side of the business.  No USA production.  They're doomed.

President's day is coming.  The promotions from the big players will be relentless due to an major over supply of vehicles and last all month.   

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 03:45:21 pm »
Only in Canada can you have the Mazda3 compete and win in two categories.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 03:53:05 pm »

Ok, traffic noise then as in buses, trucks, and all that other urban racket.  Don't travel much?  :)

I commute 80-100 km/ day through a major city.  Unless I'm really stuck in stop and go traffic I never notice noise.  AC doesn't get rid of the noise but you must mean in comparison to having to windows down.  I prefer windows down when the weather allows.