Author Topic: Bugatti Axes Four-Door Galibier In Favour Of Next Veyron  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Bugatti Axes Four-Door Galibier In Favour Of Next Veyron
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:06:19 am »

1500 hp 'Super Veyron' also cut from future product plan

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Bugatti Axes Four-Door Galibier In Favour Of Next Veyron
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:38:47 pm »
Since I'm not a Saudi prince, I couldn't care less about what Bugatti does.

Cruise ships make over 100,000 hp...doesn't make me want to buy/drive one.  Give me new/excellent technology, and we'll talk - all they do is bolt together too many cylinders and turbochargers into a beast of a vehicle that only the wealthiest can purchase...and yet a Nissan GTR would be far faster around probably any track than the SuperVeyron at 1/10th the price.

16 cylinders, 4 turbochargers, and 1,500 hp?  BMW made 1,300hp with a 1.5L 4 cylinder.  Now THAT's impressive.

Offline Kinetis

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 330, Nissan 200SX
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:15:19 pm »
I thought the first Veyron was a money losing proposition. Will the second be any different?

I guess I won't be buying anything from the VW group since I would just be subsidizing toys for the rich.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »

16 cylinders, 4 turbochargers, and 1,500 hp?  BMW made 1,300hp with a 1.5L 4 cylinder.  Now THAT's impressive.

and the bmw engine never finished a race.   that's just appalling.
and when honda's 1.5 liter turbo 6  made similar(well... over 1000 anyway) power and actually finished races.

bugatti has to run like a real car,  be used to commute, travel on highway, its gearbox handling 1000 ft/lbs of torque, while still having regular new car warranty AND deliver all kinds of luxury and security of a real nice car.  that is more impressive to me than a small engine that has to last 2 hours at a time.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »

and when honda's 1.5 liter turbo 6  made similar(well... over 1000 anyway) power and actually finished races.

bugatti has to run like a real car,  be used to commute, travel on highway, its gearbox handling 1000 ft/lbs of torque, while still having regular new car warranty AND deliver all kinds of luxury and security of a real nice car.  that is more impressive to me than a small engine that has to last 2 hours at a time.

Sorry, not quite my point - I'm aware why we don't have sea-doo engines in our cars (my buddy's RXP makes 260hp out of a supercharged 1.5L 3 cyl), but I want to see some stellar engineering at that price point.  Bigger engines aren't necessarily better - and that's why I love the GTR.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:10:49 pm »
The Galibier was a cool and interesting looking car. I thought it was an interesting move for the company, and something different than the rest of the low slung, two seat, über sports cars.

But really, whatever car they produce is irrelevant to the general population and the brand itself is a money pit for VW.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 02:14:51 pm »
The Galibier was a cool and interesting looking car. I thought it was an interesting move for the company, and something different than the rest of the low slung, two seat, über sports cars.

But really, whatever car they produce is irrelevant to the general population and the brand itself is a money pit for VW.
Perfect statement.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 02:22:09 pm »

I agree, VW must have this car company as really 90% of its consumers live within 100 mile circle of Dubai. The Veyron was one of the technologically advanced vehicles of all time and Id love to go for a rip in one because it did make every other vehicle out there look like a Flinstone mobile, would I own one...nope.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »
Well I'm happy...no delighted, to see brilliant people attempt to make outrageous machines because they can (or think they can). To think that affordability by the average joe should determine whether a project proceeds is just ridiculous. Personally, I would love to be part of an outlandish project like the Veyron...then again, skunk work has always been my favourite kind.

On Monday corporations are slammed for being too profit-oriented. On Tuesday they are slammed for making crazy machines that lose money.

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 03:08:08 pm »
I thought the first Veyron was a money losing proposition. Will the second be any different?

I guess I won't be buying anything from the VW group since I would just be subsidizing toys for the rich.

VW wanted a halo project. It was F1 or the Veyron. They went with the Veyron, because it was much cheaper and was projected to have a higher impact. Other companies have those projects too. There isn't much you can buy then.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 03:20:30 pm »
Well I'm happy...no delighted, to see brilliant people attempt to make outrageous machines because they can (or think they can). To think that affordability by the average joe should determine whether a project proceeds is just ridiculous. Personally, I would love to be part of an outlandish project like the Veyron

Thank you.

Sorry, not quite my point - I'm aware why we don't have sea-doo engines in our cars (my buddy's RXP makes 260hp out of a supercharged 1.5L 3 cyl), but I want to see some stellar engineering at that price point.  Bigger engines aren't necessarily better - and that's why I love the GTR.

To suggest the Veyron is not a stellar feat of engineering is flat out ridiculous.  The car's capabilities are incredible.   Maximizing hp/displacement is not the only thing automotive engineers are focused on.   Creating a car that can effortlessly transport it's occupants at such ludicrous speeds is impressive however you go about the task.

I'm not a Saudi Prince but I can still appreciate the sheer lunacy of this thing.