Author Topic: India May Have The Most Dangerous Cars In The World  (Read 5883 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
India May Have The Most Dangerous Cars In The World
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:52:41 am »

Models representing 20-percent of Indian car market score zero stars in Global NCAP testing

Read More...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: India May Have The Most Dangerous Cars In The World
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:06:24 am »
wow...  air bag makes that much of a difference, huh?.   from 0 star to 4 on VW Polo?  .

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:27:00 am »
wow...  air bag makes that much of a difference, huh?.   from 0 star to 4 on VW Polo?  .

Simple truths for the masses :P

I'm all for safer cars (and safer transport in general....ie: well lit roads, proper signage, sensible intersection design, CONVEX ASPHERICAL SIDE VIEW MIRRORS) but I am intellectually and philosophically bothered by the universal application of random and arbitrary standards without consideration of "the denominator".

India per capita GDP is about 1500 USD. I just spent roughly that much on a laptop. Life's not fair, lucky me.

Since their resources are so limited, perhaps safety is a luxury that cannot yet be afforded. Let the buyer decide for themselves if they'd rather have an airbag to go from an arbitrary 0 stars to an equally arbitrary 4 stars in an otherwise identical VW Polo, or spend that money on something else. I don't know, maybe some school tuition for the kids. Faced with that set of circumstances I'd probably take the tuition too.

Virtually everyone has practical limits on their resources and faces a similar dilemma at some point. The enforcement of safety standards has to be at a level that makes sense for the local market, otherwise it just becomes a tax on development. To be contrived you could try to enforce that every car has to come with 12 airbags, a crash structure worthy of the finest MB or Volvo, full time AWD, and be lathered in Nomex but you'd just end up with a baseline car costing a fortune that nobody can afford as well as a grey/black market for servicable and "unsafe" vehicles at much lower price points. Probably end up with worse results and pissed off emerging middle class that would love to buy a car.....were it available at a price that makes sense.

So yes, safety is good. But arbitrary blanket statements are stupid.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:30:24 am »
If a car crash doesn't get you the air quality will  :P

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/travel/most-polluted-city/index.html?hpt=hp_bn10

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 11:40:14 am »
Traffic is so slow in mumbai and big cities in india that the airbags will never get deployed and most of the time its minor fender benders (In 2013 it took me 2 hours to travel 8 kms during rush hour in mumbai, half that during regular hours) on a 8 lane expressway called Western Express highway.
Traffic on the interstate highways is such that if you get into a major accident it will almost always be fatal airbags or not..
Cars with western equivalent safety standards will be unaffordable

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 11:42:05 am »
How about make the choice between clean, modern, safe cars and public transportation, instead of between dangerous, dirty relics and public transportation?

The safety designations aren't arbitrary, they are based on the statistical likelihood of serious injury or death.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:55 am »
The safety designations aren't arbitrary, they are based on the statistical likelihood of serious injury or death.

The levels are arbitrary. Would you be satisfied if you asked me about the weather and all I could respond with was cold, meh, or hot? Who defines what is what? Who decides what is enough?

IMO (and it will never happen) crash test results should be expressed in absolute terms (ie: X cm of deflection, etc.). Putting "stars" into it is entirely arbitrary and the stars aren't even consistent from one generation of tests to another.

Star ratings work for movies, music, food, perhaps vacation destinations..... things that cannot really be numerically expressed. Crash tests results in all likelihood are already collected numerically, and then dumbed down in an arbitrary way for mass consumption.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 12:03:27 pm »

The levels are arbitrary. Would you be satisfied if you asked me about the weather and all I could respond with was cold, meh, or hot? Who defines what is what? Who decides what is enough?

IMO (and it will never happen) crash test results should be expressed in absolute terms (ie: X cm of deflection, etc.). Putting "stars" into it is entirely arbitrary and the stars aren't even consistent from one generation of tests to another.

Star ratings work for movies, music, food, perhaps vacation destinations..... things that cannot really be numerically expressed. Crash tests results in all likelihood are already collected numerically, and then dumbed down in an arbitrary way for mass consumption.

Newspapers are written to be understood by people with 8th grade reading skills in NA and you're going to suggest telling people about car's structural integrity in engineering terms? How do you suppose that would work in India or China with even lower literacy rates?

And it's still not arbitrary. Most of these systems are some kind of calculated normal distribution based on accident models.

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 12:24:28 pm »
Models representing 20-percent of Indian car market score zero stars in Global NCAP testing

Read More...

The cars might be crap, but the driving habits are far and away the most dangerous aspect of motoring life in India.

Total chaos.
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:00 pm »
How do you suppose that would work in India or China with even lower literacy rates?

Decided to look up literacy rates:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate

Canada 99%
USA 99%
China 95% (with a very complicated writing system I must add)
India 74%

Just for kicks...
North Korea 99%
South Korea 98%  ???

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 01:04:47 pm »
How about make the choice between clean, modern, safe cars and public transportation, instead of between dangerous, dirty relics and public transportation?

I suggest that India, the big cities anyway, can't make that choice.   Public transport needs some infrastructure...like room for safe roads, and many railways, subways and even modern safe clean buses. All of these cost huge sums of money to provide, even rich Toronto in rich Ontario in rich Canada can't manage it.   As mmret and CSH say, cars with modern western safety standards would be unaffordable.

I started driving in the days before seatbelts, airbags, radial tires, disc  brakes even, in the Uk with narrow roads, higher speed limits and my cars were usually rustbuckets with little structural integrity left if they ever had any.   It would never occurred to me to use  public transit rather than my car...public transit ( then and there, note) was for the poor people and commuters who had no choice.  I wonder if a large part of the Indian population is in that frame of mind...once you can afford a car you will damn well use it regardless.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 01:31:46 pm »

I suggest that India, the big cities anyway, can't make that choice.   Public transport needs some infrastructure...like room for safe roads, and many railways, subways and even modern safe clean buses. All of these cost huge sums of money to provide, even rich Toronto in rich Ontario in rich Canada can't manage it.   As mmret and CSH say, cars with modern western safety standards would be unaffordable.

I started driving in the days before seatbelts, airbags, radial tires, disc  brakes even, in the Uk with narrow roads, higher speed limits and my cars were usually rustbuckets with little structural integrity left if they ever had any.   It would never occurred to me to use  public transit rather than my car...public transit ( then and there, note) was for the poor people and commuters who had no choice.  I wonder if a large part of the Indian population is in that frame of mind...once you can afford a car you will damn well use it regardless.

Public transport infrastructure is always cheaper than private vehicle infrastructure per passenger. Places like Mumbai are already choked with vehicles. Adding millions more will just strangle the place.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:03:16 pm »

You can never express it in absolute terms as there are far too many variables.   Speed, angles, weights, etc.  Every crash will give a different result in the real world.  The best info they can give is a general rating.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 02:18:33 pm »

Public transport infrastructure is always cheaper than private vehicle infrastructure per passenger. Places like Mumbai are already choked with vehicles. Adding millions more will just strangle the place.

The whole problem is having cheap affordable cars like the Tata Nano.  You're going to have more people buy cars and plug up the roads.  Yes, it gets families off of their scooters / motorcycles.  And I mean families - they'll load up 4-5 people on the scooter or motorcycle.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 02:47:56 pm »
Having never driven in India myself, I can only base my opinion from TV, internet and the experiences of some friends/colleagues that have been there. With the amount of scooters, tuk tuks(or whatever the Indian equivalent is called), unregistered semis, cattle, pedestrians, bad roads do you really think that they need cars that have 5 star NCAP ratings?? Do they ever get going fast enough?? Will they be remotely affordable?? What about the older models on the road that are death traps and number in the millions?? Seeing a 25 year rez wagon on the streets here is a rare occurrence, at least in my experience, is a 25 year old clunker that rare to see on the street there?? If I was making a tenth of my wage, or less, per year, Id want a car to get around in, airbags, stability control and ABS be damned.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:13:36 pm by Fobroader »
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »

You are correct of course that millions more will cause the city to stop completely.  The same argument applies to Toronto...which I grant you is just a village compared to Mumbai. So surely TO should have good public transit and, importantly, enough of it so we don't feel the need to go around buying more and more cars.  It all comes down to who has the money...and in both cases it is not the government.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:23:14 pm by tpl »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 05:45:37 pm »
Having never driven in India myself, I can only base my opinion from TV, internet and the experiences of some friends/colleagues that have been there. With the amount of scooters, tuk tuks(or whatever the Indian equivalent is called), unregistered semis, cattle, pedestrians, bad roads do you really think that they need cars that have 5 star NCAP ratings?? Do they ever get going fast enough?? Will they be remotely affordable?? What about the older models on the road that are death traps and number in the millions?? Seeing a 25 year rez wagon on the streets here is a rare occurrence, at least in my experience, is a 25 year old clunker that rare to see on the street there?? If I was making a tenth of my wage, or less, per year, Id want a car to get around in, airbags, stability control and ABS be damned.

Rickshaws.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 05:53:37 pm »

Rickshaws.

Thank you  ;D

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 05:56:00 pm »
auto rickshaws... there are cycle rickshaws and people pulled rickshaws too...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 05:57:49 pm »
auto rickshaws... there are cycle rickshaws and people pulled rickshaws too...

Didnt know there were that many versions.