Author Topic: BREAKING: Hyundai Canada, Plaintiffs Come To Agreement On Fuel Economy Class Action  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Agreement still subject to court approval in Ontario and Quebec

Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I dont get what this lawsuit is going to solve.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)

It gives people a bigger payout if they don't want to hold on to their cars. That's about it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

It gives people a bigger payout if they don't want to hold on to their cars. That's about it.

Ok....I guess to some fuel economy is more important than anything. Some people still take those gawdamn window sticker figures as gospel and then they wonder why the vehicle wont get close to that, this should be more of a buyer beware than anything.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ

Ok....I guess to some fuel economy is more important than anything. Some people still take those gawdamn window sticker figures as gospel and then they wonder why the vehicle wont get close to that, this should be more of a buyer beware than anything.

The Canadian stickers and the tests they are based on are flawed.  That much is clear. US EPA numbers are more realistic. 

However, the issue here is not that.  The issue is that Hyundai/Kia both got caught not following the test guidelines and or using the wrong calculation method.  So even though the methods may not be realistic in Canada, manufacturers have to follow them so that buyers can at least compare the stickers between cars, as flawed as they may be, to see what car is more efficient within a segment. 

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
UPDATE: Kia Canada has also come to agreement with plaintiffs. Information is available in the article.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
There is only one winner here... The lawyers

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
There is only one winner here... The lawyers

Yup.  Lawyers always win in fights.  The longer the fight, the more they win.