Author Topic: Canadian Car And Utility Of The Year Finalists Announced  (Read 8187 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Canadian Car And Utility Of The Year Finalists Announced
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:00 am »

AJAC will name winners at Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto next month

Read More...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Canadian Car And Utility Of The Year Finalists Announced
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:34:28 pm »
Predict Mazda3 for car, and MDX for SUV

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:48:49 pm »

The infotainment in the MDX is awful and the transmission in the Jeep is abysmal, though I do predict the Cherokee to win even if I really hope Kia takes this one home. For cars, it's anyone's game.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »
Corvette and MDX. The Vette....its a lot more cutting edge and has more breakthrough tech than the 3 and because race car  ;D ....the MDX, when it comes to SUVs, this should be at the tops of everyones list.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 04:24:57 pm »

The infotainment in the MDX is awful and the transmission in the Jeep is abysmal, though I do predict the Cherokee to win even if I really hope Kia takes this one home. For cars, it's anyone's game.

did they give you the 4cyl to drive in the jeep?... in that i don't like the transmission, but with the 6cyl, i'd say "abysmal" is beyond just being too harsh. even in the 4 i don't like it, but it's not abysmal...

3 and the jeep.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:02:42 pm »

did they give you the 4cyl to drive in the jeep?... in that i don't like the transmission, but with the 6cyl, i'd say "abysmal" is beyond just being too harsh. even in the 4 i don't like it, but it's not abysmal...

3 and the jeep.

Any transmission where I can't use all the gears is abysmal. Couldn't engage ninth to save my life.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:04:43 pm »

3 and the jeep.

Any transmission where I can't use all the gears is abysmal. Couldn't engage ninth to save my life.

^^^^Drive faster....   :stick:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:58:06 am »

3 and the jeep.

^^^^Drive faster....   :stick:

At TestFest, I had the Cherokee on the highway doing a speed that was multiples of 10 above the speed limit and it still refused to engage ninth.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:56:14 am »
I read somewhere that 9th engages in the 80 mph (130 kph) range, which is perfectly legal on some U.S. interstates.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:23:45 am »
I read somewhere that 9th engages in the 80 mph (130 kph) range, which is perfectly legal on some U.S. interstates.

I won't say how fast I was going, but I should have been able to engage ninth.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 11:47:01 am »
i guess we just differ then. i really don't care if i can engage all the gears. i care how it drives while i'm driving it and how i'm driving it.

also, i had no issues with 9th... or at least i didn't feel like i did.. and to me, that's what matters.

no biggie though.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:48:40 pm »
i guess we just differ then. i really don't care if i can engage all the gears. i care how it drives while i'm driving it and how i'm driving it.

also, i had no issues with 9th... or at least i didn't feel like i did.. and to me, that's what matters.

no biggie though.

When it is one of the major selling points of a vehicle and that selling point does not work as advertised/described, I would consider that a failure.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 12:57:47 pm »

And you were not on a track  :o

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 09:45:02 am »
When it is one of the major selling points of a vehicle and that selling point does not work as advertised/described, I would consider that a failure.

Applauded you for that one.

Nothing pisses me off more than false advertising...and traffic.  I hate traffic.

Also, if not engaging, then why carry around the extra weight of the transmission to have 9 speeds?  What's worse, if it's only meant to engage at 130km/h, then it shouldn't be sold in Canada since no highway in Canada permits any speed above 100km/h.

My vote is for the WRX (:D) and the MDX.  Just kidding - I'm still mad at Subaru for not doing more.  The Mazda3 will win, though I'd probably give me vote to the Corvette - at least it's revolutionary - without the diesel, the Mazda6 doesn't stand out next to the Accord, at all, and the Mazda3 doesn't do anything for me either.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 09:50:03 am »

Applauded you for that one.

Nothing pisses me off more than false advertising...and traffic.  I hate traffic.

Also, if not engaging, then why carry around the extra weight of the transmission to have 9 speeds?  What's worse, if it's only meant to engage at 130km/h, then it shouldn't be sold in Canada since no highway in Canada permits any speed above 100km/h.

My vote is for the WRX (:D) and the MDX.  Just kidding - I'm still mad at Subaru for not doing more.  The Mazda3 will win, though I'd probably give me vote to the Corvette - at least it's revolutionary - without the diesel, the Mazda6 doesn't stand out next to the Accord, at all, and the Mazda3 doesn't do anything for me either.

umm.....  all outer city  highways in AB are 110km/h limit.    still won't engage 9th gear on the jeep(if 130 speed requirement is correct).

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 09:53:06 am »
It would engage on bits of the 401 and on the 407 here in Ont...legal speed limit or not.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 10:29:19 am »

Did you speak to an engineer from Jeep about the problem, maybe the vehicle was broken  ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 11:51:25 am »
Was the start button upside down too? Lol

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 01:03:24 pm »

Did you speak to an engineer from Jeep about the problem, maybe the vehicle was broken  ;D

I did actually, and the issue was met with indifference.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 10:14:42 am »
you also know that the press vehicles were early launch vehicles whereas the actual launch of the vehicle was delayed due to reprogramming the computers in the actve drive system and the 9 speed transmission? just mentioning that it could have been your particular car. still enough to make it not win, so don't think i'm raggin on you or anything, just trying to put a little realism into this line of thought rather than throwing out an entire model of car based on an early lauch piece that you got.

and not working as descibed... how was it described? seems to me it drove... got in the right range of fuel usage... and had 9 gears whether you used it or not. just trying to clairify exactly what they described to you.