Author Topic: Small Overlaftermath - Honda Fit Delisted From "Recommended" Cars By Consumer Reports  (Read 8357 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Consumer Reports responds to lackluster IIHS crash test rating for Fit

Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Small Overlaftermath - Honda Fit Delisted From \
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:52:44 am »

but....but....what does that have to do with reliability....

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:32:38 pm »
^^^Agree...this and the last video I saw posted here by a member about CR tells me they want to play in the same sandbox as MT and RT.  Might as well seek paid advertising.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:08:00 pm »
It hasn't gotten less safe, it's still great to drive, gets great mileage, has excellent resale and is one of the most reliable cars on the road.  CR is a total waste of time.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:10:14 pm »
It hasn't gotten less safe, it's still great to drive, gets great mileage, has excellent resale and is one of the most reliable cars on the road.  CR is a total waste of time.

+1
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:38:58 am »
+2  but one does have to avoid concrete blocks now...unless one hits them head on.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 07:08:09 am »
Better chance of avoiding concrete blocks or telephone poles in the Fit than in most cars on the road.  I don't suppose CR builds passive safety into it's ratings.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 10:24:29 am »
Better chance of avoiding concrete blocks or telephone poles in the Fit than in most cars on the road.  I don't suppose CR builds passive safety into it's ratings.

Cheers,
John M.

You mean CR should incorporate salom times, breaking times in their safety ratings? man a Corvette would be awesome at those.

Back to the small offset, since those subcompact did so poorly, if you were driving one and found a collision is unavoidable would you turn your wheel back because the frontal "crash rating" was a lot better? ie moderate overlap was good.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Small Overlaftermath - Honda Fit Delisted From
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 10:27:36 am »
isn't it the other way around? they don't look at active safety features?

either way... never been a fan of their systems... but quite frankly, if you think a minicar is going to score as well as a large vehicle in most accidents, you are ignoring physics... pretty sure anyone who actually thinks that any tiny car (with any badge on the hood) is the safest out there is delusional...

in the end, it shouldn't change anyone's purchasing decision on a car like this.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 10:28:43 am »

Cheers,
John M.

You mean CR should incorporate salom times, breaking times in their safety ratings? man a Corvette would be awesome at those.

Back to the small offset, since those subcompact did so poorly, if you were driving one and found a collision is unavoidable would you turn your wheel back because the frontal "crash rating" was a lot better? ie moderate overlap was good.

I think absolutely, the one with the best handling or brakes might not have to try out its passive safety systems if it can go around or stop before the danger.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:31:30 am »
No surprise here. Scoring well in crash testing (along with reliability) has always been part of earning a "recommended" rating from CR.

Sounds like today's Fit was built to yesterday's safety standards. As cars advance most older models fall behind in a variety of areas (performance, FE, and safety etc) 
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline mnztr

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: SAAB 9-5 Mazda MX-5 Ducati MNZTR
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 07:45:30 pm »
I have no problem with the delist. Safety is far more important then reliability and fuel economy.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 07:59:19 pm »
I have no problem with the delist. Safety is far more important then reliability and fuel economy.

Crash safety is an illusion. If you're really worried take an advanced driving course.  The safest car on the road is the one with the best driver. 

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 08:10:12 pm »

Cheers,
John M.

I dont think that margin is there really, but if it was I would look to ditch if possible.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 08:30:24 pm »

Crash safety is an illusion. If you're really worried take an advanced driving course.  The safest car on the road is the one with the best driver.

Truthy, but not really defensible.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 09:09:47 pm »

Sure it is.  If you don't have an "accident" then you are completely safe.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 01:18:57 am »

Cheers,
John M.

I dont think that margin is there really, but if it was I would look to ditch if possible.

In that case, the on-coming vehicle would "clip" and hit you like this small off-set crash...
Again would anyone turn into the on-coming vehicle because the "crash" rating for a moderate offset or frontal rating is better?
 I guess it's more instinct and I can see some value here for the small offset test for those that instinctively turn away but still get clipped.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12392
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 08:14:00 am »
+2  but one does have to avoid concrete blocks now...unless one hits them head on.

But isn't that something one would have sought to avoid before?  :P
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 08:15:38 am »
I would like to see this same test done with the following...

a) Fit vs Fit
b) Fit vs Accord
c) Fit vs Pilot

I bet the results will be different every time. There isn't too many vehicles made today that look exactly like that concrete block (perfectly flat with a sharp edge) so I can't imagine it being as 'dangerous'.

Also what happens when the Fit is moved over 1, 2 or 3cm in either direction.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 08:27:37 am »

Sure it is.  If you don't have an "accident" then you are completely safe.

A couple of points......

1.  Some accidents are unavoidable regardless of the handling prowess of the car or the skill of the driver. IE: oncoming car veering into your lane the instant before the two cars are about to pass each other due to drunk or drowsy driver.

2. The vast majority of drivers aren't nearly as good as they think they are.  ;)