Author Topic: VIDEO: Small Overlap Proving To Be Challenge For Minicars  (Read 11850 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
VIDEO: Small Overlap Proving To Be Challenge For Minicars
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:48:03 pm »

Out of 11 cars, only the Chevrolet Spark manages a "Good" rating in newest IIHS test

Read More...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: VIDEO: Small Overlap Proving To Be Challenge For Minicars
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:26:25 pm »
The only surprise here is the Fit.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:30:17 pm »
Yeah, thought the Fit would be decent....god, you dont realize the forces in a crash till you see something like a crash test.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:43:38 pm »
Yeah, thought the Fit would be decent....god, you dont realize the forces in a crash till you see something like a crash test.

Yep.  I'm sure the 2015 Fit will fair better.

Honda really is going through their line up and redesign their vehicles to do well in the small overlap test.  They did with the 2014 Odyssey and looking at the IIHS video you can see that the passenger compartment held up really well.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:46:14 pm »
I still find it funny that people worry so much about this.....

Most of the current cars we all currently own would fail this test (unless you have a 2013 car, perhaps).

Yet we still drive.

Do you really worry about this while you drive?

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:48:49 pm »
I think mainly if you were buying new it would come into play....but I wouldnt run out and buy a new car. Again, just in case.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:50:53 pm »
I think mainly if you were buying new it would come into play....but I wouldnt run out and buy a new car. Again, just in case.....

Even despite the low odds of such a crash occurring?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 05:54:08 pm »

Even despite the low odds of such a crash occurring?

Well, if it came down to two vehicles that you were looking at, this could be a positive for one.....not for me...I put way more things before how many stars a car got in the "what if an amish buggy gets away from its owner and you get a horse through your back door" test that Im sure will be instituted next year sometime.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:54:58 pm »
The only surprise here is the Fit.

Not really a surprise since it was the oldest car tested. The 2015 should do better.
I'm surprised how good the Spark did for such a small size.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 05:55:30 pm »
I've never been one to take a lot of stock in crash test results.  Back when I was buying German cars, they tended to do well in passive safety and I appreciated the cutting edge safety features, I bought the cars for a lot of reasons ahead of that.

When we bought the Corolla, one thing I did like that the Gen 10 had over Gen 9 was the addition of side curtain and side bags as standard.  Those are decent features to get with a price decrease!!

That said, I climb mountains, ski avalanche terrain, ride motorcycles, drive itty bitty roadsters that weigh 1000 kilos and have NO safety features and couldn't dream about passing any sort of crash tests, and other stuff that puts the "small overlap" test so far down on my list of concerns that it really doesn't register.  I know minicars are probably goig to be less safe than full sized SUVs, and if I wanted one, I'd just live with that.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 05:55:56 pm »
I still find it funny that people worry so much about this.....

Most of the current cars we all currently own would fail this test (unless you have a 2013 car, perhaps).

Yet we still drive.

Do you really worry about this while you drive?

Oh I agree.  I also think Honda is using it as a marketing tactic as well.  "Look, we passed it where the competition is failing."

These safety tests all test passive safety equipment.  Really the best safety is in paying as much attention as possible and avoiding collisions as far as possible.  But sometimes, it is unavoidable, where these safer vehicles could prevent injury or save one's life.  Take for instance when my car was T-boned.  There was heavy traffic in the west going direction, to the point where it was a parking lot.  I was traveling east.  The other person traveling south had a stop sign.  Since the west bound traffic was so heavy, they avoided blocking intersections.  This person then saw that the west bound traffic wasn't moving and proceeded to cross after stopping.  Problem was, she couldn't see that there was a few cars (myself included) traveling east.  And given the traffic, I couldn't see her crossing until it was too late.  I barely saw it out of the corner of my eye and at that point I braced for impact.  Hit on the driver's side, hard.  Spun around almost 270 degrees.  Luckily, no one was hurt or injured.

However, regarding the small overlap test, I would like to see some statistics:

1. How many collisions were of this type of nature?
2. Out of these types of collisions, how many resulted in injury / death?
3. Out of all injuries / deaths from collisions, how many were a result of small overlap?

It makes me wonder if they are chasing a very small percentage...

I bet my current car would do poorly in all these crash tests... A rusted body certainly doesn't help.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:57:01 pm »
I know people that obsess over safety ratings and then don't use winter tires.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 05:57:41 pm »

Lol.  They need to learn a thing or two about prevention.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:58:11 pm »
I've never been one to take a lot of stock in crash test results.  Back when I was buying German cars, they tended to do well in passive safety and I appreciated the cutting edge safety features, I bought the cars for a lot of reasons ahead of that.

When we bought the Corolla, one thing I did like that the Gen 10 had over Gen 9 was the addition of side curtain and side bags as standard.  Those are decent features to get with a price decrease!!

That said, I climb mountains, ski avalanche terrain, ride motorcycles, drive itty bitty roadsters that weigh 1000 kilos and have NO safety features and couldn't dream about passing any sort of crash tests, and other stuff that puts the "small overlap" test so far down on my list of concerns that it really doesn't register.  I know minicars are probably goig to be less safe than full sized SUVs, and if I wanted one, I'd just live with that.

We are on the same page today...

For example, my GS400 is quite unlikely to pass the crash standard.  Ditto an LS430.  A new micro car could.

I'd still rather drive the GS400 or LS430, because I think ultimately I still have a better chance of surviving a bad wreck in the larger car for most types of common crashes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:00:00 pm by rrocket »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 05:59:01 pm »

Now THATS funny....

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 06:09:27 pm »
The main idea is that subcompact cars are worse than compact cars collision wise because of weight.

The preference when a collision is inevitable is to be in the bigger vehicle.

I'm sure Honda is going to look at improving the FIT as some of their vehicles do pass the IIHS small overlap.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »
The main idea is that subcompact cars are worse than compact cars collision wise because of weight.

I'm sure Honda is going to look at improving the FIT as some of their vehicles do pass the IIHS small overlap.

Yep.  Weight is king.

What about you?  Would you rather drive a Lexus LS430 or GS400 that would fail the test or a subcompact that would pass the test?

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 06:22:59 pm »

Yep.  Weight is king.

What about you?  Would you rather drive a Lexus LS430 or GS400 that would fail the test or a subcompact that would pass the test?

Depends on situation and irrespective of the crash ratings.
City - sub-compact, easy to maneuver and park
Highway - Lexus for its smooth ride on Hercules tires.

So um on highway rrocket, you still consider that Fit or Echo better than a compact car?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:29:35 pm by Black Hatch »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 06:40:17 pm »

So um on highway rrocket, you still consider that Fit or Echo better than a compact car?

I was arguing that it's perfectly doable to drive a subcompact on the highway.  And it is.  As I (and others mentioned) cars of just a decade back were probably less competent and likely less safe than these new subcompacts are on the highway.  Obviously as a luxury car owner, I prefer nicer cars to drive.  But having driven my Echo multiple times on the highway, it was no biggie.

And I was asking you about crash worthiness specifically.  Would you rather be in a crash in an LS430 that fails the test, or in a subcompact that passes the test?  My question had zero to do with city parking, smooth ride, etc.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »

I was arguing that it's perfectly doable to drive a subcompact on the highway.  And it is.  As I (and others mentioned) cars of just a decade back were probably less competent and likely less safe than these new subcompacts are on the highway.  Obviously as a luxury car owner, I prefer nicer cars to drive.  But having driven my Echo multiple times on the highway, it was no biggie.

And I was asking you about crash worthiness specifically.  Would you rather be in a crash in an LS430 that fails the test, or in a subcompact that passes the test?  My question had zero to do with city parking, smooth ride, etc.
Well obviously from the poor ratings of a subcompact is this article I would go with the Lexus LS430.
If you expand to a Civic or Mazda3 that aced the test, I'll go with those over the Lexus.