Author Topic: It's a new year. What would you like to see?  (Read 10647 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: It's a new year. What would you like to see?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 12:58:29 pm »
I see room for more editorial comment on the news items posted.  So rather than passively post news items, comment on the news item.

Okay, so this is an interesting point (and something I grapple with daily).

Traditionally, editorial commentary and news does not go hand in hand. News should be delivered in a matter that's completely impartial; here's the facts, make your own judgement. Editorial usually gives a lot more opinion.

I try to reserve my own opinions for the forum threads. This allows me to give an impartial story and also comment on it with my own voice.

However, if commentary is something you want in the news, I don't think it would be a problem to include it. We would just need to position it differently.

But if you're just cutting and pasting a manufacturer's press release that's hardly impartial.

Yes, you're right.

But, when it is a pricing announcement, there's not much (usually) to comment on. They will write their pressers in their own flair and extoll the features of their MOST AMAZING AUTO EVAR! At the same time, you folks are smart enough to read between the lines. Toyota is horrible for this. Porsche, on the other hand, just tells us facts and figures without a ton of marketing mumbo-jumbo.

That said, if the "drop a press release" thing is really hated that much around here, we'll end it right now.

No its hated because its marketing mumbo jumbo. New wheels, new radio and improved rear defrost element doth not make best car ever....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 12:58:49 pm »
What?  No auto show tickets for the suggestion?

Hah, you can have my press creds since I don't think I'm going. (Also, I'm kidding about the press creds.)

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 01:00:56 pm »
I see room for more editorial comment on the news items posted.  So rather than passively post news items, comment on the news item.

Traditionally, editorial commentary and news does not go hand in hand. News should be delivered in a matter that's completely impartial; here's the facts, make your own judgement. Editorial usually gives a lot more opinion.

I try to reserve my own opinions for the forum threads. This allows me to give an impartial story and also comment on it with my own voice.

However, if commentary is something you want in the news, I don't think it would be a problem to include it. We would just need to position it differently.

But if you're just cutting and pasting a manufacturer's press release that's hardly impartial.

Yes, you're right.

But, when it is a pricing announcement, there's not much (usually) to comment on. They will write their pressers in their own flair and extoll the features of their MOST AMAZING AUTO EVAR! At the same time, you folks are smart enough to read between the lines. Toyota is horrible for this. Porsche, on the other hand, just tells us facts and figures without a ton of marketing mumbo-jumbo.

That said, if the "drop a press release" thing is really hated that much around here, we'll end it right now.

No its hated because its marketing mumbo jumbo. New wheels, new radio and improved rear defrost element doth not make best car ever....

Is your issue with us talking about changes or how those changes are presented (our voice versus press release)?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 01:03:46 pm »

Yes, you're right.

Is your issue with us talking about changes or how those changes are presented (our voice versus press release)?

How the manufacturer presents miniscule changes as revolutionary....Id rather have you present in laymans terms without the marketing fluff and BS. Reading through most car brochures makes me physically ill at the amount of lies and half-truths.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 01:06:36 pm »
How the manufacturer presents miniscule changes as revolutionary....Id rather have you present in laymans terms without the marketing fluff and BS. Reading through most car brochures makes me physically ill at the amount of lies and half-truths.

Okay, fair enough. We'll run the details at top in our own words from now on. No more press release drops. We will still include them at the bottom though as I think it's important for readers to have the option of seeing what we get from automakers.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »

Okay, fair enough. We'll run the details at top in our own words from now on. No more press release drops. We will still include them at the bottom though as I think it's important for readers to have the option of seeing what we get from automakers.

Oh no, still have them there...at least we will get a good laugh at how groundbreaking of a design the floormats in the new Corolla are.....  ;D

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 01:23:59 pm »

Yes, I think it would be a mistake to not include the text of what you are sent.  Neither do I think you need to editorialize every press release.  If Toyota decides to offer two shades of beige in 2015, that there is not much to say about that.

There's A LOT to say about Toyota offering ANY shades of beige on the Corolla, considering they promised us they wouldn't.

*sigh*

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 09:43:56 am »
http://www.autos.ca/general-news/2015-lincoln-navigator-receives-quiet-online-debut-before-chicago/

This is our first crack at a new format, so let us know what you think.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 10:53:44 am »
I know you probably can't do this but we Forum members usually start a thread about a car/topic before you cover it. For example the C7 thread. When you cover it you start a new thread and we have two threads on the same topic - happens essentially with every car. Generally the thread we start is better and more developed. I'd like to see you guys combine these threads when you post them up if possible.....

I'd like to see a Cayman vs Corvette comparison test. IMO, this will be one of the best comparison tests of the year.

Me too!  On a track, preferably by wing at Calabogie, with in car video and timing (like he did with the BRZ and Genesis Coupe). 

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-2013-subaru-brz-vs-2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe/2/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWisXBEbDqc

Seriously, if you only do one track test, this should be it. Auto Guide (with Mike Schleee) does these all the time :stick:  ;D
http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2014-porsche-cayman-s-vs-2013-audi-ttrs-3615.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_r3N171PqU

Agree - give the cars to Wing for a track test.

That's a logistical challenge. Our Ottawa fleets are very small and you'd need several stars to line-up for all the players to be in town at once. For example, the Genesis Coupe only happened to be there because it was a long-term tester being driven by Chris Chase. It was also a Premium model. If I were sending a car for a track test, I'd obviously prioritize the performance-oriented (and less expensive) 2.0T R-Spec.

Mike and team AutoGuide are able to draw from the Toronto fleets, which are by far the largest and best-stocked in the country. More journalists and more media outlets = more cars, simple as that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:55:41 am by Force »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Northernridge

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 11:29:22 am »
News feed...OK

Err on the side of inclusion, it's news and topical. Auto.ca should aim to be the primary and 'first look' for breaking automotive news for all of us forum members. We should have no reason to look elsewhere because we know, if its breaking automotive news, we'll find it here. That gets to timeliness and this is tricky...members often start a new car thread before you guys post anything on the car. Let's make it fun, if we start a new car thread before you, then you have to buy us a beer.  ;)

Also keep the breaking news segments shortish, like you do now (I like your template personally).

Pics are important, keep them coming.

Don't lose track of the Canadian angle but its nice to see what's going on elsewhere.

If it's news, I'm fine with keeping the editorial separate...not sure how to execute this one. Maybe post the story and then participate in the forum commentary???

I think its ok to post the release from automakers in the news feed...but as you know, this becomes the path to laziness...an RSS feed with do the same thing. Have to make your own content in the long run, but a mix is ok.

I wonder if there could be something like a Driver's advocate news sub-section where you report on Canadian auto regulation that affects us. Everything from trade/tariff issues, domestic legislation, regional issues, etc.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 11:30:03 am »
http://www.autos.ca/general-news/2015-lincoln-navigator-receives-quiet-online-debut-before-chicago/

I liked the two opinions at the bottom of the page....kind of summed up what the rest of us were feeling  ;D Well done!!

Northernridge

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:49 am »

I think, Excellent. The 'Our take' is a good idea and well executed, I like seeing who said what and you guys need to build your own brands so naming names is good. Flowing all the detail at the bottom is good too (because who's gonna read it all anyway?) and the photo pool at the end is good.

Just do this from now on and tweak it over time.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 11:39:35 am »

I think, Excellent. The 'Our take' is a good idea and well executed, I like seeing who said what and you guys need to build your own brands so naming names is good. Flowing all the detail at the bottom is good too (because who's gonna read it all anyway?) and the photo pool at the end is good.

Just do this from now on and tweak it over time.

Makes me feel like a celebrity for comments I would probably just have made in the Forum...  :thumbup: :winner:
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 11:42:09 am »

Well done, good format and build on that. Far more useful than what the company offers on the topic; you can see in the PR crap what Fob is talking about - "Rebirth of an Icon"...please. It really saves our time if someone can parse that garbage and place the topic of the news release in proper context.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 11:59:26 am »
I know you probably can't do this but we Forum members usually start a thread about a car/topic before you cover it. For example the C7 thread. When you cover it you start a new thread and we have two threads on the same topic - happens essentially with every car. Generally the thread we start is better and more developed. I'd like to see you guys combine these threads when you post them up if possible.....

I'd like to see a Cayman vs Corvette comparison test. IMO, this will be one of the best comparison tests of the year.

Me too!  On a track, preferably by wing at Calabogie, with in car video and timing (like he did with the BRZ and Genesis Coupe). 

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-2013-subaru-brz-vs-2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe/2/

Seriously, if you only do one track test, this should be it. Auto Guide (with Mike Schleee) does these all the time :stick:  ;D
http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2014-porsche-cayman-s-vs-2013-audi-ttrs-3615.html

That's a logistical challenge. Our Ottawa fleets are very small and you'd need several stars to line-up for all the players to be in town at once. For example, the Genesis Coupe only happened to be there because it was a long-term tester being driven by Chris Chase. It was also a Premium model. If I were sending a car for a track test, I'd obviously prioritize the performance-oriented (and less expensive) 2.0T R-Spec.

Mike and team AutoGuide are able to draw from the Toronto fleets, which are by far the largest and best-stocked in the country. More journalists and more media outlets = more cars, simple as that.

I'd be happy to pick up a C7 or Cayman in TO and bring it to Calabogie for wing to test ;D   I'd even warm up the oil, tires, and brakes for him.

Settle down Norman, if anyone's driving the C7 to Ottawa, it's this guy. But yes, we are aiming to pull something like this off this year, assuming everything remains stable here and we can plan around one of those Calabogie track days. however, GM is pretty stingy with their Vettes, so that's a tough sell sometimes, especially the miles and track use...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 12:05:24 pm »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 01:14:09 pm »

I'd be happy to pick up a C7 or Cayman in TO and bring it to Calabogie for wing to test ;D   I'd even warm up the oil, tires, and brakes for him.

Settle down Norman, if anyone's driving the C7 to Ottawa, it's this guy. But yes, we are aiming to pull something like this off this year, assuming everything remains stable here and we can plan around one of those Calabogie track days. however, GM is pretty stingy with their Vettes, so that's a tough sell sometimes, especially the miles and track use...

The track being used is also a factor. TMP? It's like a big go-kart track and there's only one wall to hit. Mosport and Calabogie are another ballgame.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 01:38:17 pm »

:fiver:
Well done Mark.  OK, maybe give JY a little credit too...
That posting was pretty much exactly what I had in mind yesterday.  All the "news" is there, but so is the opinion.  And it's obvious which is which.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 01:48:40 pm »
That's much better.  I like having the entire article on one page.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 02:03:18 pm »
That's much better.  I like having the entire article on one page.

Agree.  Me likey.