Author Topic: It's a new year. What would you like to see?  (Read 10659 times)

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
It's a new year. What would you like to see?
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:44:24 am »
Hello forum folk!

We are entering a very interesting year of automotive in 2014. The Big 3 are doing much better, bringing more exciting product to dealer lots. Toyota is upping their game in the 'excitement' department. The Germans are trying to fill every niche possible and creating new ones to sell even more product. And, on top of it all, we have more propulsion choices than ever before - traditional ICE, hybrid, EVs (with or without range extenders), fuel cell (in the near future), and cars that even drive themselves.

Over the last year, I have tried to provide a wide range of automotive news to inform and entertain. Some coverage, such as recalls and sales numbers, have gone to the back burner as I try to provide more articles geared toward rumours and new product announcements.

But, in the end, it comes down to what you want. If we post stories you don't want to read, we aren't doing our job. Conversely, if we are posting stories you do want to read, we must be doing something right.

So, here is your chance to sound off. What would you like to see in the news feed?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: It's a new year. What would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:35 am »
2015 Porsche Cayman GTS confirmed for Canada, base model MSRP to be $89,995.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:19 am »
Id say keep up the good work. You get a lot of critisicm from people that "you didnt include freight or PDI or blah blah blah" but all in all, you do a pretty good job!! Oh...but more truck tests....  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:54:47 am »
Id say keep up the good work. You get a lot of critisicm from people that "you didnt include freight or PDI or blah blah blah" but all in all, you do a pretty good job!! Oh...but more truck tests....  ;D

I'd love to do more truck testing. That said, I am referring specifically to the news feed, not including reviews, etc.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:57:11 am »

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.
Elbert Hubbard

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:58:28 am »

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.
Elbert Hubbard

But that kind of crap Im tired of seeing.....  ;D

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:50:35 am »
I know you probably can't do this but we Forum members usually start a thread about a car/topic before you cover it. For example the C7 thread. When you cover it you start a new thread and we have two threads on the same topic - happens essentially with every car. Generally the thread we start is better and more developed. I'd like to see you guys combine these threads when you post them up if possible.....

I'd like to see a Cayman vs Corvette comparison test. IMO, this will be one of the best comparison tests of the year.

This is something we can do and we will try to do more in the future. However, whenever we do post a news item, a thread is automatically created. If you let me know a thread exists elsewhere, we will try to merge. As long as the thread is titled with the same or similar topic, I don't see a problem with this. If its a thread that's evolved into another topic (being the one we write about), it gets a bit trickier.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:57:17 am »
I always wonder about why we have
1. Autonews
2. Sale reports and industry news
3. Upcoming Vehicles
all in different sections.
Usually one will relate with another and it might be easier to link/combine if they were in the same section.

Perhaps another topic section to add would be a "recall/tsb/known problems" section so that people can quickly find if there is anything to be aware of for used cars.

Mostly good work on the release of the news item Mark.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 12:01:59 pm »
I always wonder about why we have
1. Autonews
2. Sale reports and industry news
3. Upcoming Vehicles
all in different sections.

Usually one will relate with another and it might be easier to link/combine if they were in the same section.

Perhaps another topic section to add would be a "recall/tsb/known problems" section so that people can quickly find if there is anything to be aware of for used cars.

Mostly good work on the release of the news item Mark.

I am guessing this is in other areas of the forum?

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 12:06:26 pm »
I see room for more editorial comment on the news items posted.  So rather than passively post news items, comment on the news item.

This.  Even if the editors want to drop in the MNFR press release word-for-word, maybe a section at the beginning or end that is clearly marked as editorial comment.  I can read MNFR press releases on any old auto site - especially the bland Canadian auto sites that specialize in puff-piece automotive articles so as to not offend their advertisers - but I come to autos.ca for insightful comment and wit (not necessarily in that order!)  If the MNFR press release really is new and noteworthy, say so.  If it's a load of crap, call them on it.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 12:11:11 pm »
I see room for more editorial comment on the news items posted.  So rather than passively post news items, comment on the news item.

Okay, so this is an interesting point (and something I grapple with daily).

Traditionally, editorial commentary and news does not go hand in hand. News should be delivered in a matter that's completely impartial; here's the facts, make your own judgement. Editorial usually gives a lot more opinion.

I try to reserve my own opinions for the forum threads. This allows me to give an impartial story and also comment on it with my own voice.

However, if commentary is something you want in the news, I don't think it would be a problem to include it. We would just need to position it differently.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:36 pm »

However, if commentary is something you want in the news, I don't think it would be a problem to include it. We would just need to position it differently.

Yep, that's the key.  Make it obvious what is the "news", and what is the "editorial".  Maybe a couple lines of "Editor's take" at the end of the news release?

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 12:13:52 pm »

This.  Even if the editors want to drop in the MNFR press release word-for-word, maybe a section at the beginning or end that is clearly marked as editorial comment.  I can read MNFR press releases on any old auto site - especially the bland Canadian auto sites that specialize in puff-piece automotive articles so as to not offend their advertisers - but I come to autos.ca for insightful comment and wit (not necessarily in that order!)  If the MNFR press release really is new and noteworthy, say so.  If it's a load of crap, call them on it.

I usually reserve sole press release pieces for pricing announcements where the model hasn't really changed, FYI. If there is something of mention, I try to let it be known.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 12:14:08 pm »

Yep, that's the key.  Make it obvious what is the "news", and what is the "editorial".  Maybe a couple lines of "Editor's take" at the end of the news release?

:iagree: :thumbup:

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 12:15:38 pm »

I think C&D does something similar to this IIRC. It's a great suggestion and we'll have a chat about it internally.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 12:19:13 pm »

I think C&D does something similar to this IIRC. It's a great suggestion and we'll have a chat about it internally.

It would be cool to see a press release, "Toyota announces all new Tundra" and then have you say, "yeah, all new meaning a new color and the trim color changed inside, not all new at all".....stuff like that. Or if you know something when a concept car is released whether or not its close to reality or a pipe dream.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 12:25:00 pm »

It would be cool to see a press release, "Toyota announces all new Tundra" and then have you say, "yeah, all new meaning a new color and the trim color changed inside, not all new at all".....stuff like that. Or if you know something when a concept car is released whether or not its close to reality or a pipe dream.

Autoblog has a good model - the outlet's take on the announcement/news (crammed with contextual links), followed by a button to reveals the full press release.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 12:47:25 pm »

Traditionally, editorial commentary and news does not go hand in hand. News should be delivered in a matter that's completely impartial; here's the facts, make your own judgement. Editorial usually gives a lot more opinion.

I try to reserve my own opinions for the forum threads. This allows me to give an impartial story and also comment on it with my own voice.

But if you're just cutting and pasting a manufacturer's press release that's hardly impartial.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 12:50:12 pm »

In my view, it would better brand autos.ca as an authoritative source for all things automotive to include your reflections in the actual posting of the news item (separating, as others have noted, the news part from the editorial part). 

Yes, some people will disagree with your take..and say so.  There is, though, a saying that indifference (not hate) is the opposite of love.  You want people to have views - in favour of or against - your take on the news.  As things currently stand, the news is delivered in autos.ca in an overly bland format.  The news portion of the autos.ca website does not give readers anything they could not otherwise obtain through a google search.  Good writing allows the writer to share some of him/herself with the reader.

You are currently missing an opportunity to entice readers to return tomorrow to see what brilliant - or utterly stupid - thing you say next.

Hah, all very true. We will be putting more opinions in the articles.

Congrats, your voices have been heard!

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 12:55:52 pm »

But if you're just cutting and pasting a manufacturer's press release that's hardly impartial.

Yes, you're right.

But, when it is a pricing announcement, there's not much (usually) to comment on. They will write their pressers in their own flair and extoll the features of their MOST AMAZING AUTO EVAR! At the same time, you folks are smart enough to read between the lines. Toyota is horrible for this. Porsche, on the other hand, just tells us facts and figures without a ton of marketing mumbo-jumbo.

That said, if the "drop a press release" thing is really hated that much around here, we'll end it right now.