Author Topic: Cadillac ATS Set To Get Blown V6 And V8 V Models  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Cadillac ATS Set To Get Blown V6 And V8 V Models
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:57:29 pm »

ATS-V and ATS-V+ will pack serious grunt and be powered by forced induction engines

Read More...

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Cadillac ATS Set To Get Blown V6 And V8 V Models
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:39:56 pm »
Good way to make the ATS interesting. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Cadillac ATS Set To Get Blown V6 And V8 V Models
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:57:21 am »
Word on the street is that Mark Reuss wants more American wagons....please ATS wagon, please ATS wagon.

FWIW, he did say that we need more "affordable" wagons as essentially any of the wagons you want are north of 50K.

I didn't realize the ATS was going to get the twin turbo V6 AND the V8? That doesn't seem to make sense to me as the make more or less the same power.

Twin Turbo 6 and a Supercharged V8...  So definitely not the same power.

Northernridge

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:57:56 am »
I doubt they'll use the nomenclature claimed above. Makes no sense to have it differ from the CTS. I'd expect a V-Sport and V. Meanwhile V+ is just stupid. Cadillac need to avoid past GM branding errors to be taken seriously, they should manage "V" with the same rigor that Mercedes manages AMG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Now free...and worth it (which means valueless).

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:01:08 am »
I doubt they'll use the nomenclature claimed above. Makes no sense to have it differ from the CTS. I'd expect a V-Sport and V. Meanwhile V+ is just stupid. Cadillac need to avoid past GM branding errors to be taken seriously, they should manage "V" with the same rigor that Mercedes manages AMG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Now free...and worth it (which means valueless).

but there's AMG appearance package, regular AMG then AMG Black Series.
that's certainly better than BMW's 'stick on M sticker on everything' marketing, but still there's couple level's of AMGness.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:07 am »

but there's AMG appearance package, regular AMG then AMG Black Series.
that's certainly better than BMW's 'stick on M sticker on everything' marketing, but still there's couple level's of AMGness.

All good points, there is also an AMG S now. Consistency over time, across models and reverence are the important aspects. Stuff like appearance packages drag down prestige/credibility.

Mercedes has had the benefit of time to build a reputation for their AMG program. We all generally understand that AMG means big, fast engines. We also get that Black Series is even juicer, exclusive best-of-breed and includes more chassis tuning. We're now supposed to be learning that the S series create more horsepower than regular AMG trim.

Cadillac has a good thing going with the big dog V, and introducing the V-Sport was a good idea. They should stick with it, continue to back it up with performance and as we say in my field, build equity in it.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 12:11:28 pm »

Cadillac has a good thing going with the big dog V, and introducing the V-Sport was a good idea. They should stick with it, continue to back it up with performance and as we say in my field, build equity in it.

At first I was skeptical of the "V-sport" badge - I thought Caddy was diluting their awesome "V" line.  But it's probably a good move, as there was just too much separation between the regular and "V" models (i.e., old CTS - 320 HP V6, next step up = 556 HP CTS-V).  The "V" line is simply overkill for most people, and "V-sport" should fill in nicely.  But those who truly want and appreciate the extreme performance will understand the difference between "V" and "V-sport".

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 12:19:08 pm »
Well I'm already confused. So the "V Sport" is a lower performing machine than a regular "V" - isn't that a little @ss backwards? That would be like the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V being a "lesser model" than a Sentra SE-R. Usually the more letters the more prestigious the vehicle no?

I agree that V should have been left on its own. Call it the CTS Sport or CTS Emerald or CTS Pinnacle or CTS Premium or my personal fav. CTS Elite! (yes with the ! in there - that should make the posers REALLY happy! But if its not a V - its not a V. Quit trying to dilute that moniker that V now stands for with Cadillac just so you can squeeze a couple more sales - its only going to confuse people. As hard as Cadillac (and GM for that matter) has worked at making so much better vehicles don't cheapen that hard work by pimping out your performance moniker.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 01:03:22 pm »
Well I'm already confused. So the "V Sport" is a lower performing machine than a regular "V" - isn't that a little @ss backwards? That would be like the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V being a "lesser model" than a Sentra SE-R. Usually the more letters the more prestigious the vehicle no?

I agree that V should have been left on its own. Call it the CTS Sport or CTS Emerald or CTS Pinnacle or CTS Premium or my personal fav. CTS Elite! (yes with the ! in there - that should make the posers REALLY happy! But if its not a V - its not a V. Quit trying to dilute that moniker that V now stands for with Cadillac just so you can squeeze a couple more sales - its only going to confuse people. As hard as Cadillac (and GM for that matter) has worked at making so much better vehicles don't cheapen that hard work by pimping out your performance moniker.

No different than all the brands:

Lexus has F sport and the actual F cars like the IS-F
BMW has M sport trim lines and the actual M cars
AMG has AMGpackages, AMG cars, and AMG black
Audi has S-line, S cars, and RS cars.
Porsche has S, GTS, RS, Turbo, GT3, GT2 - 1000 different names.

Cadillac has V sport and V cars.

Which makes the V and V+ rumours all that much more confusing. The V6 TT ATS should be Vsport and the V8 just called ATS-V. None of this V+ garbage.

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 11:08:27 am »
I gather the "V+" moniker is speculation from a automotive journalist and not a release from Cadillac.